Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35951 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »

Tropico Planet is whining about a lame feature that will be implemented in T3:

There will be a section of the island 'owned' by indigenous people (as contrasted with people born on the island called 'native' in T1) living on it. These people are in an "undefined" level of civilization, but live entirely separately (segregated) from the "citizens" of 'Tropico'. The challenge to El Presidente is to
*Integrate them into full citizenship
*Use the army to eliminate them
*Fully respect the boundries of their land (which is rich in resources)
*Nibble away at their land, using the army to control their retaliation (pseudo-rebels?)

Yeah. Um. I don't really see why they would criticize it. They are arguing it's a waste of development time, but I like to see these people...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2009, 03:18:12 pm »

It sounds like it would be very fun to oppress them, and gives another use for the military.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2009, 03:27:22 pm »

That feature looks AWESOME.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »

Epic feature. It must be done.

Now you can pretend to be America!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2009, 04:31:02 pm »

Now you can pretend to be America!

And Spain, Mexico, The United Kingdom, Australia... Really, it happened a lot in history.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2009, 04:45:54 pm »

Read up on the history of the Irish invasions sometime. Ireland went through about 8 or 9 of that kind of thing, even before the fall of the Roman Empire.
For they would be your masters.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2009, 10:27:21 am »

I think I realized a tactic by which you can always win elections.

Commit election fraud.

See, election fraud can sawy 20% of the vote. If you have a soild block of 30% of the people voting for you, you can just commit election fraud, and win.

Election fraud does make people a little upset with you, but also lower democratic expectations, meaning you won't have to worry about elections as much. In fact, commit election fraud as much as possible, even when you're winning, to lower democratic expectations. I'm not sure if the drop in respect caused by "election fraud" is enough to cancel out the increase in respect you get for holding elections in the first place, but I doubt it.

Election fraud is cheaper than bribing the faction leaders and giving out tax cuts. This is why it's far more perferable.

If you choose the trait, "BOUGHT THE ELECTION", you are able to sway up to 30% of the vote via election fraud. You only now need 20% legit support.

I also learnt that the best way of preventing elections is to have TV Stations and Newspapers blanketing the island. Set the TV Station to show "BBC" and Newspapers to print "Tropico Free". Those two programs will increase Liberty on your island, making your people feel free. Since the people are free, they are less likely to call for elections. You know, cuz they're free and all.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2009, 10:36:50 am »

I always play with "free elections" because it gives me a higher score multiplier. And I always try to keep my people happy-ish, I think it's the easiest way to rule the island.

Oh and I tend to play with "hard" economic and political settings, too.

Maybe I just got a hunch for my lil tropicans. they like me, I like them, and my swiss bank account isnt sad, either.

One thing that made me overcome my initial problems are the "second grade" huts. Not the cheapest ones for 4 people, the next one. They give almost 50% housing quality iirc and they are cheap. I set their price so 1 uneducated worker can afford it. The 1000$ houses cost more, only a married couple of uneducated workers or a single of the next higher income class can afford one.

And I try to "keep track" of the housing; i.e. Whenever I build something with x jobs, I try to add x living space to the island.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:40:01 am by Puck »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2009, 09:57:56 am »

I like taking care of my lil Tropicans and improving their way of life, so I usually end up going back and building better quality housing, over time.

I also tend to not end up with anything in my Swiss bank account, for some reason.

I've played games where I ended up lasting 70 or 80 years while holding normal elections and without having a substantial military, which was pretty nice.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2009, 10:01:04 am »

But you NEED to get some money into your swiss account, no matter how nice of a ruler you are, presidente!

edit: Am I the only one who thinks it's weird you cannot produce cocaine? I mean, c'mon, that's the only cliché that's missing. I bet it was in the game in the sooner versions, but got taken out because of some stuck up assholes and age regulations.

Just think of all the gameplay possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:03:02 am by Puck »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2009, 12:37:20 pm »

But you NEED to get some money into your swiss account, no matter how nice of a ruler you are, presidente!

edit: Am I the only one who thinks it's weird you cannot produce cocaine? I mean, c'mon, that's the only cliché that's missing. I bet it was in the game in the sooner versions, but got taken out because of some stuck up assholes and age regulations.

Just think of all the gameplay possibilities.

Way to demonstrate you know the exact reason, then ignore it entirely.

Seriously. the game wont even sell! That's why they let the modders do it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2009, 12:43:47 pm »

The problem is that illegal drugs are usually produced by rebels. Why would you want a feature where rebels grow more powerful and make more money? That seems stupid.

Yanlin, there are no mods that I know of that can let you produce illegal drugs. And how would you mod drugs in anyway? By introducing an event where you can pay money to the Americans to spray your trees and stop people producing cocaine?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2009, 12:52:07 pm »

I dunno, a feature that made rebels stronger-and more obviously evil-would make the game more challenging, as well as setting up El Presidente as possibly a good(ish) guy, kinda-sorta.

Those might not be bad things.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »

Or you could somehow get your greedy greasy fingers in the whole deal, you know, carting off some (wheelbarrows full of) money into your swiss bank account.

And then, maybe, when you milked the cow enough, you can jail them rebels all up, improve US relations and get some more development funding or whatever they call it.

Or if you push it too much you gonna get invaded.

(And then get some dollars from the marines in your strip clubs and bars  ;D)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2009, 01:01:05 pm »

Well, I was thinking you can make a deal with one of the criminal syndicates, and get a small annual increase in your profits, but make the Americans very upset at this arrangement. If you refuse the deal, the criminal syndicate will fund a rebellion against you...so they can replace you with an Presidente who's a bit more tolerant of illegal drugs.

This idea is actually looking awesome. I'll think about making a T1 mission where you are El Presidente, installed by the CIA to stop illegal drugs in Tropico.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24