Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35875 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« on: December 07, 2008, 03:07:35 am »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/tropico-3-strategy-game-rights-secured-by-kalypso-media-from-take-two

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/17/tropico-3-dictate-your-thoughts/#more-5195

I'm not going to lie, I don't see this game as being a major success, but the proposed developer has a history of making rather good city builder/rts games, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Either way I'm stoked.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:59:26 am »

mmmm...rum soaked cigar barony...

unfortuantely i've never played anything which that game studio has made, anyone have any thoughts on how they'll do with it?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:25:11 am »

tropico is good.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:31:26 am »

Oh great. I get to be a corrupt power hungry "president" dictator and be REWARDED for it.

It's the only game I know where the goal is to be as corrupt as possible for points. Stashing a ton of money in your Swiss bank account, rigging elections, etc.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:32:54 am »

probably that is why my points were always low.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:53:02 pm »

I got tropico here. its easily one of my favourite games.

I think it was the first game that more or less randomly "weighted" the needs of individuals and therefore turning people... well... into individuals and not just generic simulated human beings.

But wasnt part 2 basically a lot of crap?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:41:08 pm »

I wish for Tropico 2 they'd stayed on theme and improved the mechanics instead of basically re-using the same mechanics and engine and just completely changing the point of the game.

matakuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:55:09 pm »

Tropico was a very nice game. But Tropico 2 was lame. The gameplay got worse, much more simplistic, the programming was quite lazy (I needed administrator privileges to play it ?!?) and even the population got quite characterless.
So, if number three is like number one, it will be very good, but if they only get themselves some fancy graphics and an oh-so-original setting (medieval? Anno-ish?) they'll only get me to touch the package one in the store ("oh, Tropico. Err... Oh. Urgh.." Matakuka cancels Go Shopping: Too annoyed)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:30:56 pm »

I thought I'd bump this thread since Tropico 1 has always been one of my favorite games.

It looks like they're actually going forward with it, which I'm excited about.

Their Forum is also starting to improve and come alive (still some real asses around, which is unfortunate not only for the Forum, but for the game.):

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5

So I'm hoping maybe (please?) we can give them some traffic and help branch things out a bit. With a strong community, there's a much better chance that the game could become something really great.

If you've never played Tropico before, then it's worth trying. The basic mechanics shouldn't be entirely unfamiliar to DF players, they've got one of the nicest thematic sountracks, ever, and it's really quite a breath of fresh air.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:03:38 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »

O.O Tropico YAAAAY :D

Tropico 1 was SO much fun.  You could abuse the hell out of your people but you'd end up with horrific rebellions and rampant starvation if you pushed them as hard as you could.  The only way to play it without any military bases was full-out democracy with free and open elections that you rarely ever cheated very much in.  If you started oppressing them, it was a very slippery slope that I never kept my footing on...

My only real problems with the game were with labor management.  If you think DF is annoying...  You had no control over where people lived, so sometimes they would take a laboring job over in city A, then move their home to city F, so whenever they went to work they would walk aaaalll the way to City A, then to the work site, swing their hammer literally exactly one time, then clock out--and still get paid as much.  Also, you thought DF was bad when you need those beds made now but your carpenter is on permabreak?  Sometimes all of your dock workers would be off eating, at church, etc., with no sense of sane work schedules, which means that sometimes you just couldn't get any money for months because nobody would show up to export your goods.

Aside from that, the game was a serious blast.  Tropico 2 was weird but fun, not worth the buy though.

I saw in a Tropico postmortem that their team couldn't make up their mind between a brutal dark realistic sim, a comedy, or what.  And you can see it in the person art.  Some are very cartoony and some are far more realistic.

If you thought SimIsle was a great idea but its execution was pants, Tropico has -better- execution at least.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:53:54 pm »

TBH tropico 1 is one of my favorite games ever, havent played 2 (due to never seeing it, ANYWHERE) but i think 3 will flop unfortunatly :(

If you want tropico, play 1 + paradise island for the win!!  ;D

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:00:00 pm »

I'm hoping (as I hope for every sequal) that they'll basically just recreate the original game, and add on to it, rather than going off in some half-assed direction.

More is good. Better (when directly quantifiable) is good. Different is...not always so good.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »

The music from Tropico 1 is engraved in my memory forever. I never got why this game had the possibility to build individual houses, when tennements(sp?) for everyone is the only way to go.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »

If tropico 3 is to tropico 2 what tropico 2 was to tropico 1, this game will be horribad.

So much for optimism  ;D

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 01:43:24 pm »

If tropico 3 is to tropico 1 what tropico 1 was to tropico 2, this game will be horrigood!

Fixed? I think... ;D

Anyway, I'm pretty optimistic at this point, provided the company does their research, and doesn't try to push it through too fast.

It's just too bad Toady doesn't come in sets of 12--I think he'd do an outstanding job with Tropico.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24