Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163786 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2009, 08:00:35 am »

trippdeez: desconstruct the workshop and build another one out of stone for a third bed.

IP: I think someone got more tropical stuff by upping the max temperature.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2009, 05:07:38 pm »

can anyone help me get a map with lots of evil places with volcanos or at least magma?

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2009, 12:26:54 am »

do you mean a main map thats all purple, or an embark location thats hard evil? In either case the parameter set I posted tends to give some fairly "exciting" worlds. You may need to gen  a few worlds but i have had some really harsh enviro's.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:02 am »

can anyone help me get a map with lots of evil places with volcanos or at least magma?

Increase minimum volcanism a bit (not too much), or increase the value of the highest volcano mesh weight setting (this will make high-volcanism areas more likely than low-volcanism ones).

For evil, "desire number of evil squares in (size) subregion" does the trick. Just don't put the numbers TOO high, because civilizations can't live in evil areas, except for goblins.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2009, 11:46:28 pm »

Increase minimum volcanism a bit (not too much), or increase the value of the highest volcano mesh weight setting (this will make high-volcanism areas more likely than low-volcanism ones).

For evil, "desire number of evil squares in (size) subregion" does the trick. Just don't put the numbers TOO high, because civilizations can't live in evil areas, except for goblins.

oookie dokie will try, thanks!

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2009, 12:45:26 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=948

I think you will find this world has at least one place on it that is truly evil :)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2009, 02:37:38 am »

Here's the params  I use normaly, its roughly 90% evil.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note there will be no evles on this.
If you want elves change this:
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:10000:25000:50000]
to this:
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:5000:10000:25000]

It creates a world thats about half evil. This increases the chances of there being elves.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2009, 04:43:07 pm »

I was trying to read through this thread to find precisely what I wanted, but either it created a lot of rejects or did not produce the results I thought it would. Basically, I like the default worlds that are generated (for the most part) but I'd like to add:

More forests
More swamps
More temperate climates
Less deserts
Less hot climates

Is there an easy way to vary these say, by 25% or so (more or less frequent?)

Let me know what you think.
schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2009, 05:45:38 pm »

You'd pull off most of that by playing with meshes I think.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Biome
lists the values each of those fit in at.

Edit: better link: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Advanced_world_generation
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:16:14 am by Shoku »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:12 pm »

Seeing as there's not a real guide to the requirements of glaciers here I'm going to give some ballpark info on what they need. All of this is with a medium world.

First of all your polar regions are a bit odd. We all know they show up at the top or bottom edge but their vertical size depends on temperature. If it's -20 you'll have pretty bit polar regions but they stop. It takes a temp of -37 the make the polar area able to hit the equator.

*I think what's happening is that equatorial regions have higher summer temperatures and the biomes we see are a composite of the seasons.

Now, at least on medium maps you only get one pole as your glacial region, it's chosen at random. Because of this -37 degree across the board won't just hop the equator and go to the other edge. You need something like -50 for that.
What you'll probably see with the minimum temperature set that low is one side being a lot of tundra and glacier with little pockets of those at the opposite end.

The difference between glacier and tundra is drainage. At 76 and up it's glacier.

For elevation all you need is for it to not be an ocean or a mountain so from 100 to 300.

As far as I can tell you can't get more than one layer of ice on a medium map. Large maps can have multiple layers of ice.

Anybody know any details I missed?

ratskeller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »

Very useful post Shoku. I've been wondering how to expand glaciers. Thanks.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2009, 04:01:10 pm »

Also I think rainfall has to do with how they grow past their initial area in world gen but that's a little harder to check.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »

Cooked up an interesting world with this here:
Most noteworthy points:
-Medium size,
-Lots of smaller mountain regions, lots of places to build a mountain-fort,
-Some small oceans,
-Many rivers,
-Many caves,
-High volcanism, many volcanoes, but still a small number of lower volcanism areas,
-Lots of evil, moderate amouths of good and few neutral areas,
-Plenty of towns for your adventurers to slaughter trade with.
-Barren, low rainfall, few trees.

Tell me what you guys think ;)

EDIT: on another note, is there any way to prevent my magma pits and volcano craters from sticking around the edges of my terrain? Its realy reducing the number of suitable fortress locations as my comp cant handle areas big enough to encompass both the magma pit and other interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:40:08 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »

Naw, yuo pretty much just get one magma pipe, magma pool, underground pool, underground river, and HFS per mountain region tile. Your best option for finding a bunch of stuff all together is to just have alot of mountain perimeter to look through.

With my glacier search I've set draining high and mountain variance high and I usually get from one to four 5x5 sites with underground water, a magma pipe, and HFS on a medium map.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »

Here's the params  I use normaly, its roughly 90% evil.
Note there will be no evles on this.
If you want elves change this:
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:10000:25000:50000]
to this:
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:5000:10000:25000]

It creates a world thats about half evil. This increases the chances of there being elves.
HALF EVIL??!
elves should be the only friggin thing if it's 100% evil
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42