Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163781 times)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2009, 03:46:27 pm »

I can't seem to get tropical anything. I don't quite understand the meshes yet, although I tried putting a little more weight on higher rainfall levels; tweaking the drainage just results in infinite rejections. Halp?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2009, 08:31:40 pm »

@ IP,
Try these world gen settings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2009, 12:40:06 am »

Very interesting world, but no "tropical" biomes, only "temperate" despite being hot and *named* jungles. The wildlife showing up are deer and foxes... Maybe it's something about the game itself, not the parameters?

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »

That is strange. I rolled up a few worlds and found: Tropical Conifer, Tropical Dry broadleaf, Tropical moist broadleaf, Tropical Marsh, Tropical Savana I think it was.... but you are right I did not immediately see any Elephants ect. I did see Mango trees, Palms, Rubber trees ect... Perhaps I just was not patient enough or something? strange, I will roll up a few more worlds and put some actual time into checking each one for critters.

So what did you think of the world parameters? I was trying for a parameter set that gave a good blend of biomes so that getting most any flavor of starting location would be fairly easy. For instance i can get glaciers with magma pipes there, deserts, tropic's, Hills, Peaks ect. I do not yet know if my megabeast strategy worked as i have not yet had time to play an actual game using those settings to see if any survived.

Good luck,
Gary

baalak

• Bay Watcher
  • Nalzar-aung.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2009, 03:37:25 pm »

I was hoping that someone could explain to me why I'm getting white forests and hills, and how I can avoid them. Is it just a product of temperature? Wouldn't raising the minimum eliminate them?

If I can get rid of those, I think I'll have a great world to generate. Before the map initializes, it looks beautiful, but it gets nasty when the whites spread across it like mold growing on bread.

- Baalak Nalzar-aung

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2009, 03:55:11 pm »

I was hoping that someone could explain to me why I'm getting white forests and hills, and how I can avoid them. Is it just a product of temperature? Wouldn't raising the minimum eliminate them?

If I can get rid of those, I think I'll have a great world to generate. Before the map initializes, it looks beautiful, but it gets nasty when the whites spread across it like mold growing on bread.

- Baalak Nalzar-aung

If the white that you're talking about is the same white of which I am thinking, then you can safely ignore it.  It only shows up during world generation; once you go back to the main menu and choose to start a fortress and look for an embark location, all the white is gone.  I'm guessing the white represents regions or something, but I really don't know what its purpose is.  I gave up trying to figure it out, since it has no impact that I can tell on anything at all.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:28 pm »

It definitely produces an interesting, varied world. Very colorful map. I just tried rolling it up again and that evil glacier looks like "fun"...

Do you think you could provide a specific seed that got tropics?

Edit: Looked around. Sitefinder for hot+high rain+high drainage got nothing. Found a hot broadleaf forest, but when I embarked there the trees were just alders, oaks, willows, etc.

On the other hand, there's a site that could have skeletal unicorns.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:31:01 pm by InsanityPrelude »

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2009, 08:08:41 pm »

Sure thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is the seed for a large world. I would give you my history ect, but I am running the Civ Forge mod and that may mess with things a bit. I plugged in: Hot, Rainy, Flux, River, Underground River, Magma, and HFS. Came up with all but hot: warm untamed wilds Mountain and Tropical Shrubland. Poking around manually there are several spots on the main map with tropics in general. Oh, the embark area i mentioned is 4x4 but only has 1 spot of Tropics in the 4x4 area. There is plenty more right there if you tweak the embark area a bit however.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2009, 04:29:18 pm »

That seed alone doesn't work for me :o the whole world generation settings please if you can <3 I also have civ forge installed so the history seed would be nice too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2009, 04:35:34 pm »

Regarding tropical zones, since some of you seem to have questions:

I'm also dead certain that the tropical vs. temperate distinction has absolutely nothing to do with the biomes themselves, or very little, or with the things that determine biomes, such as rainfall or temperature. After all, you can get freezing temperate forests or scorching ones, or temperate tropical forest. Or freezing ones. Or scorching ones.

I think it has to do with placement on the world itself.

Here is the main point: If you want tropical areas, be sure to generate a LARGE world. I'm pretty sure that they never, ever spawn on a medium-sized (now standard) world, but basically always spawn on large ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2009, 08:54:18 pm »

Point of note the seed i posted was for a large world using the worldgen i posted.
Seed: 506356638
history: 4131018549
name: 2788921853

Have a good one :)

Edit: It would seem G-Flex is telling it like it is folks. I had never paid attention until he said it. I just generated 3 Medium worlds in a row none of which had any tropics. Plenty of hot, and moist though. That is odd, thanks G-Flex. One of those worlds was pretty damn nice other than the lack of tropics  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:01:11 pm by diriel »

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2009, 02:33:25 am »

Well, there was my problem. I always generate Medium worlds because large ones take so long.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2009, 04:57:22 am »

Oh well. basically im trying to get a world where i have a STREAM not a brook near mountains. For an ideal location i'd pretty much want: stream, magma. Then a drain (chasm/pit). u. river, hfs, tropical biome are bonuses but not needed.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2009, 05:31:45 am »

I can't help but think that the wiki would be perfect for this, does anyone feel like making a page for all the individual snippets for whatever different features.

I can't help but think that the next time I want to gen a world I will want to have skeletal elephants and carp playing amongst magma and tower caps and purring maggots and sand, and trying to use this thread for that is really ruffling my laziness...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2009, 11:19:28 am »

@FM,

In that seed I posted, no mountain but a stream and magma if you follow that stream 1 up from the initial start.

Happy Dwarfing
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:55:56 am by diriel »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42