Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43

Author Topic: Proc Gen Mafia 2 -GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 99448 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

Hector's elsewhere at the moment, so I'm gonna throw a few questions around while I'm waiting.

KitRougard: Why the role reveal? Do you believe that it'll help you find scum? Are you hoping it'll improve your town image?
Why are you chasing after the Serial Killer, rather than seeking out mafia?
Also, you never answered me yesterday: Who is scummy in your mind at this time?

Shakerag: You claim to dislike Day 1 and its uncertainties. How will you be hunting, now that Day 2 is upon us?

Deus Asmoth: You didn't want to post a readlist yesterday; you claimed Day 1 readlists to be unreliable. You have a couple roleflips to work with now-- are readlists useful yet? If so, would you care to prepare one for us? If not, why not?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Proc Gen Mafia 2 - Day Two - Terminal Connection Loss
« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2019, 03:53:57 pm »

Re: Kit and his nonsense: I was being facetious. You won’t find out my role until I flip, or decide it’s beneficial to town for me to reveal it.

I did say it was changed, ‘cause then people are aware that there is a power that does that in the game.

RGU

About my ability, I tried using it on IcyTea31 and hector13. If I wasn't roleblocked, could you two confirm? It's fairly useless, as it should inform you of knowledge you should already have. I'll answer questions later when I'm not feeling my head splitting in half.

I missed this.

Did you change my role? If so, why?

@IcyTea since they format their posts in such a way I’m not going to mess about with it on a phone. Easy to understand what they’re chatting about, but too many quotes to shift around :o

Anyway, it’s a little rich you accuse me of arguing in bad faith when you say I didn’t tell you I thought you were lying, when it was made abundantly clear I didn’t think you were being honest. You’ve been ascribing motivations and reading between the lines of my posts all game long, and you expect me to believe you had no idea I thought you weren’t being honest? Come on, man.

I do some form of bad faith all the time. I don’t argue from a position I know to be false so much as a position I don’t necessarily know to be true. It’s investigation, basically.

This is why you voting for me was such a problem, even with your justification for it. You say you voted for me to get me talking, even though I was already voting for you and thus very likely to continuing talking specifically to you, and you could interact with me during that. This meant, from my perspective, you were trying to shut me down, to stop me talking about the thing I wanted to talk about by calling it scummy. In essence, keeping the game in a low information state, which is bad generally, but infinitely moreso on D1.

You also postulate that scum killed Starver/awsume because they felt they could get someone lynched easily. Considering I was one of the lynch candidates for D1, do you think it’s me?

If not, why, and who do you think it is? Why?

As for me misleading the town, I would suggest it was a mistaken town. I pointed out your hypocrisy using the example of rolefishing - intentional or otherwise - and people thought that I was more bothered by the rolefishing than hypocrisy. That was quite frustrating, actually.

Also, what’s the whole thing with RGU and the inform ability and reading him town because you would tell the person with inform to do the kill? It reads more like you’re saying you can’t be in the scum team with RGU (if RGU is scum) because he used inform.

PPE: you didn’t say you made your own case on you to get me to build a better case, you said you voted me to do provoke me. Again, I was already voting for you, did you not think a case would be forthcoming st some point for me to justify it? If not, why?

If you were trying to provoke me to make a better case with that, what had you so convinced I was scum when I continued my pressure on you by correcting you about I was concluding from the evidence?

and now you say you’re scum reading me based on someone else’s meta.

Like.

Let that sink in for a second.

I am scum because someone else was scum and you ascribed the same motivation to me as them.

Can I do what you do and say “no, u” and expect you to accept that as a reasonable defense? Thanks.

Tric

Oof. I have a lot of re-reading to do, now I know Max really is just an odd duck, and I'm gonna have to spend another few hours trying to make some sense out of the whole Hector/IcyTea blood-feud. For now, I'll just drop this question:

TricMagic: I vote you, you vote me. I unvote you, you unvote me. What gives?

Everyone: Might Maximum Spin's role have caused him to behave more oddly than usual? And given the stupidly powerful nature of his role, would no-lynch have actually been a good idea yesterday?

Hmm, First you voted me.
Then this response from me.

------------------------------

TricMagic: You showed up, said some stuff about anime, plonked a vote on Maximum Spin, encouraged Shakerag to do the same, then disappeared. Would you care to explain the reasoning behind your vote?

Starver: Given your total silence these past few hours, I can only assume you're asleep. When you wake up, would you care to let us know who you find suspicious?

Well, this is a fun thing to check. Especially given I was asleep when you posted this.

At the moment, I won't explain my reasoning. For the reason behind this, tis simple. The start of the post above this one answers that.

I am finishing Solomon, Today. I have only 4 more battles to go, and plenty of quartz. Then, I'll do BB's event till I run out of AP. And after that, do the bio of my FEF character. Then do BB's event some more. Put simply, expect content from me tomorrow. Including my Reason for voting Maxspin.

Then this in a spoiler along with a list.
TricMagic: Scum. He's not invested in this game. He's been quite clear about this. Unless he puts some serious effort in tomorrow, I'm inclined to believe he's scum-on-the-sidelines, jumping on the lynch that looks most reasonable to him.

I voted for you mostly because of that. It's a re-hash of an argument I delayed answering till later. As well, my vote on Maxspin was pressure, and didn't ever change till I came back. Your goof on jumping on a partial item, once you dropped that, I determined from your talk to drop mine, and move back to MaxSpin.

IcyTea post nin'd.

Major issues with this.

Superdorf made a very good point about you not appearing to give much care to the game given you were posting nonsense about playing another game, and was quite right to vote you for it. Then you stop voting for him once he stopped voting for you.

I guess being naive enough to say that gets towncred..?

That comes across very much like why IcyTea voted me for, outlined above: to deflect attention away from a place you don’t want it.

Superdorf

If you don’t understand something you can ask about it.

Anyway, I’ll try to be brief. Maybe bummer points help.

-IcyTea says knowing roles is pointless, and asks questions I perceive to be rolefishing, thus making him a hypocrite, so vote him to explain himself.
-Leafsnail defends IcyTea by attacking me which I perceive as hugely scummy because he doesn’t know if IcyTea is town, especially not on D1.
-IcyTea votes me. I perceive this to be attempting to deflect me away from him, also scummy, but not as much as Leafsnail.
-thus, Leafsnail is the more likely of the two to be scum.

I am now stuck trying to pressure two people with only one vote, and I was very busy over weekend, and expecting the day to end on Tuesday rather than Sunday, so massively over estimated how much time I’d have to develop what I decided to do: continue voting IcyTea in an effort to kill two birds with my one vote, and then panic when I realize there’s no time to explain what I was doing.

Leafsnail mentions at some point that scum won’t do obvious things like rolefishing, while he is obviously defending someone against an attack. Consequently, I don’t believe that IcyTea is on a scumteam with Leafsnail, but his behavior indicates anti-town, and as far as I’m aware the only anti-town third-party is serial killer.

We shouldn’t be looking for the serial killer on D1 - at least not primarily, we do need to find them eventually after all - so I needed to make it look like I thought IcyTea was mafia, else I didn’t think Leafsnail would bite, hence the dishonesty with who I really thought was scum.

What are the discrepancies that you refer to?

What are your thoughts on IcyTea buddying you?

Leafsnail

hi

Everyone: Might Maximum Spin's role have caused him to behave more oddly than usual? And given the stupidly powerful nature of his role, would no-lynch have actually been a good idea yesterday?
Ideally people should be given a chance to roleclaim before they're lynched (since if they're lynched their role gets revealed anyway, and some roles may be verifiable). Unfortunately that wasn't possible due to the way the time limit hit last night and several late vote changes.
Ok, so someone asked me for a list of reads, so here's what I have after reviewing the thread (actual quote responses will be responded to as I read through the thread):
[...]
- hector13 - starts off on Icytea31 about rolefishing. May be claiming he has a suicide ability? Or maybe just being snarky. Claiming being unhappy with his role either way. Playing verbal footsie with IcyTea31. Believes in the heart of the cards vote. Switches focus to Leafsnail. I don't necessarily agree with his case on Leafsnail, but he's making a good argument for it. Also makes a good argument against IcyTea31. Slight town lean.
[...]
- Maximum Spin - Has a very ... unique theory on questioning and voting. Takes an early lazy vote on SuperDorf. So far seems to have contributed little of any real value to the game. Now talking about supporting a D1 no lynch. And that every vote should be treated like a hammer ... after having voted much, much earlier. Would pick Starver as daykill/top lynch choice. Would normally be a scummy move, but it's oddly consistent with his ... odd views. Seems to think highly of Nirur Torir. Overall read is null for D1, with a lean toward anti-town behaviour. Will be very interested to see how his playstyle changes on D2.
So we have a tie on hector13 and Max Spin.  I'm reluctant to vote for hector13, but I would be ok with a Max Spin lynch.
There's some pretty next level fence sitting going on in these posts. The closest Shakerag gets to calling someone scum is Nirur Torir, who he describes as "Overall, very slightly scum, and someone I would want to keep an eye on in the future". His vote was already sitting on Maximum Spin, but the read was described as null. So was this supposed to be a policy lynch? Or was your "slight town lean" on hector13 enough that you wanted to keep him alive specifically? You can't describe this as a "tie-breaker" compromise vote because at the time of these posts your vote was causing a 3-3 tie with hector13.

I do still think hector13 is scum. The point I raise against Shakerag above is somewhat built on this belief - it looks like he wanted to save him.
taciturn (adj) - (of a person) reserved or uncommunicative in speech, saying little. +1 point for using reticent as a synonym

obtuse (adj) - deliberately dull and slow-witted, slow to understand. -1 point for using confusing as a synonym.
One way to avoid having to write a massive stream-of-consciousness clarification post would have been to avoid writing a deliberately obtuse (adj - difficult to understand, especially deliberately so) answer in the first place.

I don't think anyone else is reading this massive wall of text argument between us as it stands, so I don't think repeating myself to respond to your list of repeated points will be productive. If anyone else in the thread has questions for me regarding this matter I'll be happy to answer.

One new point that I am interested in: was your vote on Maximum Spin was strictly self-defensive? You provided no explanation when you made it.
For now, I'm fine with lynching Maximum Spin for wanting to practically surrender the game to scum.
A quickly written post with interesting wording. You don't think he's scum.
Is there a specific reason you picked out IcyTea's post here and not hector13's?

You need to get the last word in, cool. Notably the last word being “obtuse”, the word you think you can twist to make me look most misleading.

Then ask another leading question, presupposing self-defense as a motivation in me voting for MaxSpin, even though you yourself stated that no-llynches in this game would be bad. I think I could pretty much guarantee that - excepting jesters - 100% of players in my position would 100% of the time vote for the other lynch candidate. Do you disagree?

Anyway, you postulate an interesting situation between Shakerag and I in the quote. You state that I’m scum, and that it looks like Shakerag was voting to save me, presumably because he’s my scumbuddy.

Considering that, you said multiple times on D1 that scum wouldn’t rolefish ‘cause... it has negligible utility or whatever, it doesn’t really matter why.

Yet you think that as a scum team composing two of the more experienced players in this particular game, one of the players - me, who has been lynched three times on D1 in almost thirty games: in my first game ever; as a jester; and in a game in which the town won by being lynched before the mafia - would fail to blend in so utterly that they are one of the lynch candidates while also saying they wouldn’t lynch the other experienced scumbuddy, and then the other, skating by quite nicely under-the-radar, would then come out of the woodwork to save their buddy on D1, knowing there’s a serial killer in the game that could probably kill them during the night, and any other number of town power roles that could mess them up? Knowing the unresolved arguments from D1 mean their buddy is going to be on the chopping block again on D2?

Do I have that right?

‘cause that seems a lot more likely than scum rolefishing. Sure.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I... begin to understand your position, and your earlier explanations. I think you've settled any discrepancy-suspicions I might have had-- truth be told, I don't know exactly what I was talking about last night. I was tired.

Quote from: hector13
What are your thoughts on IcyTea buddying you?

I don't know.

I mean, it's there. I've been watching it, I've been thinking on it. I don't know what to make of it.

On a gut level, people siding with me makes me happy and makes me want to trust those people more. This worries me.

When people attack me, I think they're scum and want to attack them back. This also worries me.

I'm not very good yet at puzzling out the intellectual side of this game, so I've been-- at least to some extent-- letting my emotions guide my decisions. This is bad. I don't trust my emotions. You people are very, very good liars, and I don't trust myself to know what's genuine and what's manipulation. So I'm trying to ignore the happy-fuzzies, trying to approach this in an impartial manner... but I'm slow to comprehend all this, so it's taking me hours and hours to pick the arguments apart.

You're not exempt from this thinking, by the way. You've been friendly too; you've expressed trust in me too. I don't know what to make of that either.

-----------------------------------
Hector speaks persuasively. I don't trust him, but I'm not so sure of my position anymore, and I need to see how IcyTea and Leafsnail
respond to this latest attack of his. Unvote.

I've been thinking, and I really want KitRougard to answer the questions I've been asking him.

klonk
Sigtext

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Ahem*

I reveal because I hope that fearlessly showing my role shows me to be town. In ToS this usually works, because Role is directly linked to Alignment. Not so here, but I still use it as a high card.

I'm seeking SK instead of Mafia because I'm locked onto him. In ToS the only way you get someone is to stay on them day after day. So against SK I stand.

Who is scummy to me? I feel like Nirur's "so many scum" reads are intended to sow chaos in the town, get fingers pointing. And Tric I physically cannot have a mental bias towards.

NOW ABOUT THAT SK!

You say you were being facetious when you said your skill was Kill Yourself. How convinent that you essentially take back your words as they get weaponized against you.
You mention your role got swapped. How convenient you have a reason with which to use your other power, the one that isn't just suicide.
No, I will not lay off.
I will dig deeper until your corpse proves me wrong.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EBWOP
Tric I physically cannot NOT have a mental bias against.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »

Kit: These are your D2 questions so far, since you asked:
randomgenericusername, KitRougard, and Deus Asmoth: D1's lynch came down to Hector or Spin, and you three weren't here to vote for either. I'd like for each of you to say who you'd have preferred to have your vote on, or no lynch, and why.

Kit, in particular. I feel had a much weaker D1 game than last time. I'd like to know why. What changed?
40% of your posts (2/5) mentioned SK. Is it that you're SK, is that what changed?
KitRougard: Do you need assistance on how to scumhunt? It seems to me you spent most of D1 apologizing about only knowing the nightgame. While understandable, this makes it hard to assign towncred to you.
KitRougard: Now that you have more material to work with, who would you call suspicious at this time?
KitRougard:  So the only case you seem to have is a weak one on hector13 in which you're just taking the exact same thing you said on D1 and moving it to today.  Let's play devil's advocate and say hector13 is an SK.  That still leaves the scumteam.  So who else do you think is scum and why aren't you going after them as well?

Who is scummy to me? I feel like Nirur's "so many scum" reads are intended to sow chaos in the town, get fingers pointing.
An original attack, good start. Are you gonna bring it, then, or just leave a "Nirur's scummy because x, I'm gonna do something else now?"

Shakerag:
Nirur Torir:  So have you given up on your plans to try and attack a more experienced player?  I'm also curious as to what you thought a single vote on Leafsnail (with no follow up questioning or accusations) was going to accomplish exactly?
The vote was, as stated, to pressure him to do more. He then proceeded to attack Hector. Success on that front, unvoted.
I also wanted to drop some of my feelings that bad things will happen if I attack experienced players poorly. I feel like scum hunting experienced players involves these really wordy walls of text and trying to analyze the acursed things and the thought that I said I'd do that, and feel like I now have to, makes me not want to even log in. How does anyone else deal with this, just skim them and go for the general gist?
So failure on that front.

or you're just responding aggressively for no reason other than you felt like it.

I don't especially care that you think I'm scummy, but the fact that your case so far appears to be based on little other than confirmation bias is worth noting.
Bravo, that's exactly right. There is no case on what you did D1, because you basically skipped D1.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In order...

Hector, obviously. See current train I won't get off.

I'm not SK. I just hate Solo Evil with a burning passion right now because I have their scent in my nose.

Eh, I'd take a quick tutorial in scumhunt, I usually base it on Night Happenings, like I said.

Answered in my previous post, as dorf re-asked it.

How about I strengthen it in my previous post, then follow up with an attack on Nirur!

Nirur, you compliment my move against you, then taunt me into moving farther. You seem to be banking on the idea that I'm too hot for SK to take a moment to scan you. And you're half-right, I'm not skimming your posts. But I am calling out what I read as attempted "Oh yeah? Really attack me. No? Still on about SK? Look at this determined little scummie..."

You're next on my lynch-list.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2019, 08:04:28 pm »

While it's technically possible within the rules I think it would be very mean for NQT to let a "kill yourself" SK into the game. The SK is at enough of a disadvantage compared to a scumteam without losing their key ability.

In addition I don't think it's really possible to distinguish mafia reads from SK reads unless you've got some serious relational cues with a flipped player.
The first time I read it, I read Tea's wording as knowing Spin wasn't scum. Hector's did not, and I assumed his reasoning was "breaking a vote deadlock away from self," which I don't consider scummy.
OK, I can see where you're coming from there.
Leafsnail: Could we get a readlist from you at some point?
I've alluded it to a few times in this game but I think readlists are "filler" content that ups wordcount without providing much in the way of useful insight. The only relevant opinion that I haven't alluded to with past arguments is that I think Superdorf looks town.
I don't see what the problem is here.  I was sitting on a Max Spin vote for giggles (from much earlier in the day) and when it came down to the wire, there were two likely candidates for the lynch, hector13 and Max Spin.  As you quoted from my read list, I was leaning town on hector13 and leaning null/anti-town on Max Spin (I like how you left that last part off).  So, yeah, I wasn't going to move my vote off Max and let someone I felt had more value to the town get lynched.  Does that explain my motivations sufficiently? 

Additionally, in regards to you claiming I was fence sitting:  are you suggesting I should have had a very solid scumread on someone on D1?  You yourself said earlier in the game that "[d]ay one lynches have a very poor hitrate."
This is a reasonable explanation of your vote, but I still find it hard to believe you had so little opinion after conducting what seemed to be a pretty thorough analysis of everyone in the game. I'm not expecting strong reads, maybe just another couple of gut reads since this game has to have at least 3 scum in it.
You need to get the last word in, cool. Notably the last word being “obtuse”, the word you think you can twist to make me look most misleading.

Then ask another leading question, presupposing self-defense as a motivation in me voting for MaxSpin, even though you yourself stated that no-llynches in this game would be bad. I think I could pretty much guarantee that - excepting jesters - 100% of players in my position would 100% of the time vote for the other lynch candidate. Do you disagree?
Sure. Is there any reason you didn't mention this at the time you made the vote?
Anyway, you postulate an interesting situation between Shakerag and I in the quote. You state that I’m scum, and that it looks like Shakerag was voting to save me, presumably because he’s my scumbuddy.

Considering that, you said multiple times on D1 that scum wouldn’t rolefish ‘cause... it has negligible utility or whatever, it doesn’t really matter why.

Yet you think that as a scum team composing two of the more experienced players in this particular game, one of the players - me, who has been lynched three times on D1 in almost thirty games: in my first game ever; as a jester; and in a game in which the town won by being lynched before the mafia - would fail to blend in so utterly that they are one of the lynch candidates while also saying they wouldn’t lynch the other experienced scumbuddy, and then the other, skating by quite nicely under-the-radar, would then come out of the woodwork to save their buddy on D1, knowing there’s a serial killer in the game that could probably kill them during the night, and any other number of town power roles that could mess them up? Knowing the unresolved arguments from D1 mean their buddy is going to be on the chopping block again on D2?

Do I have that right?

‘cause that seems a lot more likely than scum rolefishing. Sure.
This is an interesting attempt to invoke WIFOM. I'd start by saying that Shakerag being a partner with you is merely a possibility, rather than something my case rests upon.

But I actually think it is a plausible scenario. The previous Proc Gen Mafia had a scumteam with just two members. Losing one of your two members on day one is an utter catastrophe, and will leave you at a horrible statistical disadvantage in a game that generates a lot of investigative power roles. There is a realistic prospect of the town just mathematically breaking the setup, and no amount of being "under-the-radar" will save you from that. At the very least there's a high chance you will be locked out of performing the nightkill for the rest of the game. It's far better to save your partner and rely on the kind of WIFOM argument you're making now (which almost always works) to play it off afterwards than to let them die and get eviscerated by night actions.

Compare this to rolefishing, which basically never actually gives you relevant information about roles and always attracts suspicion. The value proposition is entirely different.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would control-f if I had a decent phone I was playing on, but as it is taking reading time takes up responding time, it's... Just a bad idea for me to play Mafia, let's be honest.

SUDDEN NO-PRESSURE ROLE REVEAL!
Shaken Oracle
Once per night, see the target of yourself.
Oddly useful, as it lets me know if I'm made to jump on anyone other than myself.
Last night's result was myself.
Are you sure this claim is accurate? Please think carefully and reread before you respond to this. Are you positive you haven't made a mistake?

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...maybe my first adjective is Shaked not Shaken?
Like, what are you, Census trying to leap on me with terminology?
I paraphrased because it's ModKillable to directly quote. And as for "Kill Yourself" SK? It happened last time...
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was referring to the first adjective, yeah. "Shaken" is not something the generator can produce, so I wanted to see if you were faking it.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 07, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »

I've alluded it to a few times in this game but I think readlists are "filler" content that ups wordcount without providing much in the way of useful insight. The only relevant opinion that I haven't alluded to with past arguments is that I think Superdorf looks town.
Huh. Alright then... and thanks? I think?

klonk
Sigtext

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I was faking I would have a halfway decent role, maybe one that could get people lynched on my word - not a "mindcontrol detector."

So yeah I basically just vomited my role from my brain without looking at my role PM
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Leafsnail re: a hector-Shakerag scumteam: I’m not sure how my points are any less WIFOM than yours, to be fair.

It requires far too many assumptions before even touching the extra elements you entered into the equation with the night game, starting with there being only two in the scumteam.

There was only one NK. What do you think that means for distribution of the anti-town players, and their anti-town abilities?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, I didn’t say why I was voting MaxSpin at the time because I thought it was self-explanatory.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43