Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20334 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »

Maybe, Hive race was never a game that I followed (not a fan of the general mechanics of any of the arms race games) That said a lot of units have significantly stronger defensive strength then they have offensive strength and a quick browse of the hive thread says that the formula is a simple causalities=attack power-defense power. So that doesn't really make sense. The quintessential light axemen are used as an example in the manual as when two units fight each other, all else being equal, they'll end up having to spend several turns fighting before one dies/runs away. However since they have three times the defense as they have offense, it seems like if it was a simple Attack-Defense Axemen vs Axemen would stalemate forever. I don't see an hard unit stats in the hive race game, I would presume that most units have significantly higher attack then defense to avoid this stalemate.

I wonder if Iituem would be willing to go into how combat works more specifically?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:21:26 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2017, 01:33:20 pm »

I expect it works like an HP modifier. Mirror 2v2 match, 1attack and 4defense. Half of the defense is lost, so it ends with 1.5 units left standing on each side after the first round.

I'm more interested in the morale retreat calculations and how cover works. It doesn't seem like a damaged unit with only 100 shield-bearers left should be able to guard a 5000 man army against 5000 archers.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »

Question. How rare are Mana Nexuses? Like, you warn that not having a source of mana may make things tricky in the early game, but how tricky are we talking?
Long Live United Forenia!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2017, 02:06:11 pm »

I'm curious about what the rate for Idea generation is. in the manual, it says that urban Pops make them at a fixed production rate. I'm curious what the production rate actually is so I can judge what kind of techs are important to grab first, or if it's viable to forgo some basic tech like Currency and rush a school.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »

Yep. Would have liked to be the only race with a vulnerability, since it wasnt just for the points, it was also for flavor. Oh well.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »

Eh, it's free points.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »

If I was going to play a necromancy race, I think I would go with this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Very basic with a lack of real weakness and A very strong source of mana. Theocracy is nice with a 10% Idea buff so I don't feel I need to compromise that much.
Basic, Ya, simple too but they have a lack of weaknesses and strong magic powers. Lots of mana to work with because of high priest and faithful
Lots of worship production so Gate God be Swole.
this isn't a sign-up sheet, just an alternate race. I want to stick with Wolfos.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2017, 03:34:01 pm »

Spoiler:  Average mantu (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:59:47 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2017, 03:45:09 pm »

Alright, it took me a very long time to get the basics done, but I got my race and backstory. Depending on how much time has passed since the described events, I would like to build upon their culture a bit. But without knowing how much time has passed since the portals closed, they may just start pretty tabula rasa. Also, on the issue of traits, I took Dull and Short Lives twice (so 20% less research speed and 5% increased death rate). I thought that these traits fit well with their lore as they were not designed to be academics and they also were not designed to have long lives, but instead were built to fight a foe so great that none could defeat it. Let me know if this isn't ok and I'll drop bloodlines or something to make it work.

Spoiler: Dwarmani (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:00:16 pm by Roboson »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »

How does paper....work....underwater?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2017, 04:52:30 pm »

Very basic with a lack of real weakness and A very strong source of mana. Theocracy is nice with a 10% Idea buff so I don't feel I need to compromise that much.
Basic, Ya, simple too but they have a lack of weaknesses and strong magic powers. Lots of mana to work with because of high priest and faithful
this isn't a sign-up sheet, just an alternate race. I want to stick with Wolfos.
Looks like you're short a point there. High Priest (-2), Necromancy (-2), Cowardly (+1), Faithful (-1).
Long Live United Forenia!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2017, 04:58:19 pm »

Looks like you're short a point there. High Priest (-2), Necromancy (-2), Cowardly (+1), Faithful (-1).
Whoops, I meant to take short lived as well for more dead bodies. Eh I’ll edit it in when I’m off my phone.
Not like I’m going to use this sheet anyway.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2017, 05:03:38 pm »

Okay, I'm going to call a halt on any more applications for now.  Waitlists are cool, but I have enough to pick from now.  Will have a decision either tonight or tomorrow about my pick of seven.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »

I finished my leader biography by the way... I hope that counts as being in time!

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2017, 05:55:02 pm »

I've updated the Naga traits and flavour text according to Iituem's feedback, removing the urban production modifier and racial injustice modifier. Please verify that the points add-up. (Edit: Fixed race description too.)

Are there any other humans out there? Trelians look human. Eyyyy! Defiance has humans :D They would make good s̶l̶a̶v̶e̶s allies! Hi Tiruin & Criptfeind.

(they send half their urban pops either to the local town or to migration points, provided they are at capacity for rural pops).
How close can towns be to each other? How do I research/construct Herbalists? Can Sewers be constructed?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:16:32 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17