Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20277 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2017, 12:36:42 pm »

Beat me to it Cryptfiend. I had everything copy, pasted and in spoilers.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »

I sure hope I'm not too close to anyone. Yknow, what with being Doomed I may not be able to rally a reasonable army, but on the other hand, I may be able to make a better army thanks to military tech early on. So yknow we'll see.

Also, Keep in mind that it -seems- fertility of provinces gradually decreases, so we may have to expand early on no matter what.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2017, 02:20:39 pm »

Right, that's true. Blight could potentially be extremely significant, depending on how common it is and how hard it is to avoid. If it's like, 0-5% a turn, but often offset by events and a tier two building or idea stops it or something, not a big deal. If it's 0-5% a turn and that's basically a ticking time bomb that will tender provinces unusable within 4-5 turns, then we're going to have to spread like the zerg.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2017, 04:02:35 pm »

I don't think fertility permanently decreases. Rather, it looks to me like each turn, the actual fertility of a region may be up to 5% lower than its theoretical output.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2017, 04:20:33 pm »

OOh! Also since I keep reading 'age' and 'death/birth rates' and probably epidemiology...
Can leaders/heroes age and die? :-[

I'm not keeping track of age, but there's a 1 percent chance of death by natural causes each turn, I believe.  Or there will be, if I've missed that.

I don't think fertility permanently decreases. Rather, it looks to me like each turn, the actual fertility of a region may be up to 5% lower than its theoretical output.

Confused here.  You mean from Red Thumb?  It means that farmers with Red Thumb produce 5% less of the base amount than normal farmers.  They don't actually ruin the land, Famine style.  But that's probably a spell you could get.

And certainly something angry gods can do.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2017, 04:28:05 pm »

Ah yeah I may have misread it.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2017, 04:34:32 pm »

We're talking about Pestilence Iituem:

"Each province loses 0-5% of its base fertility per turn to pestilence."

But it's not clear if that's a permanent loss or not (I thought permanent until Nuke said he thought not, now I don't know.) If it's not permanent loss, something like "food output" might make more sense instead of base fertility.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »

Confused here.  You mean from Red Thumb?  It means that farmers with Red Thumb produce 5% less of the base amount than normal farmers.  They don't actually ruin the land, Famine style.  But that's probably a spell you could get.

And certainly something angry gods can do.
No, I was referring to the posts above:
Also, Keep in mind that it -seems- fertility of provinces gradually decreases, so we may have to expand early on no matter what.
Right, that's true. Blight could potentially be extremely significant, depending on how common it is and how hard it is to avoid. If it's like, 0-5% a turn, but often offset by events and a tier two building or idea stops it or something, not a big deal. If it's 0-5% a turn and that's basically a ticking time bomb that will tender provinces unusable within 4-5 turns, then we're going to have to spread like the zerg.
Which I assume is based on this line in the manual:
On top of this base fertility and agri. effic., each province loses 0-5% of its base fertility per turn to pestilence.
But since it seems insane for territory to lose up to 5% of its fertility permanently every turn, I assume the 'pestilence' resets each turn, rather than adding up.
Long Live United Forenia!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »

It would be insane unless either the weighting on the 0-5% is significantly pointed towards the 0% or the events that prevent/reverse it are extremely common, possibly either or both of these with tech to stop it being a quite low hanging fruit. I thought that was at least possible, and given the wording, the way it would be. But yeah, that would be a sorta weird way to go about it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »

We're talking about Pestilence Iituem:

"Each province loses 0-5% of its base fertility per turn to pestilence."

But it's not clear if that's a permanent loss or not (I thought permanent until Nuke said he thought not, now I don't know.) If it's not permanent loss, something like "food output" might make more sense instead of base fertility.

Ah, yes.  It's 0-5% less food output.  Not a desperate struggle for survival as the world is bleached of its resources.  Not yet, anyway.  Maybe when you invent industrial fertilisers.

Also, a brief changelog snippet:
 - Stopped terrestrial races migrating into the sea and vice versa.  Awkwardly drowning migrants averted.

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2017, 07:06:54 pm »

Waitlist me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2017, 07:25:37 pm »

By the way, I'm trying to make sure I understand the example turn, and I'm stuck on the taxes for the first province, I was wondering if you could shed some light on it:

They make 3605.7 bushels of food, of which they eat 2780, of the remaining 825.7 601 is exported to the urban center in province 3 at $0.01 each for a total of $6.01, half of that goes into the rural populations pocket purse and the local purse the other half is taxed for $3.005 total, then the remaining food (224.7) is sold to the global market at $0.005 each for a total of $1.1235, once again, half of that is taxed for a total of $0.56175. With some significant figure cutting that means a total of $3.57 dollars in tax, so, I think I followed all that right. But the local faction is taking about 14.8% of it for their cut, instead of the 10.7% that Autonomy is at, or the 12.9% that Autonomy was presumably at last time. They seem to be taking a larger share then I expected. Unless it's not on a perfectly 1 to 1 ratio with autonomy, which would make sense given they are getting a tiny cut of even the 0.0% autonomy place, but I'm wondering if that is the case how much they get, and if not, what I'm missing.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2017, 07:53:24 pm »

Hrm.  That might be slightly sploshy figures.  They may benefit from some rounding here and there.  I'll take a look into it if it gets worse.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2017, 07:59:57 pm »

Hum, if they aren't suppose to be getting anything outside of their autonomy percentages there must be something quite odd going on, since they are getting money even in places with 0.0% Autonomy, they are getting almost 15% of the rural and urban taxes in the capital of Generica for instance. That doesn't seem like something that can be explained by a rounding error.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:34:40 pm by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2017, 09:03:27 pm »

Hum, if they aren't suppose to be getting anything outside of their autonomy percentages there must be something quite odd going on, since they are getting money even in places with 0.0% Autonomy, they are getting almost 15% of the rural and urban taxes in the capital of Generica for instance. That doesn't seem like something that can be explained by a rounding error.

The capital ignores faction percentages - it goes to the 'faction' of the crown.  But they also receive hidden income from other sources, such as the Grain Market.  I'll take a look into it.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17