Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20290 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2017, 06:03:55 pm »

I was aiming for a vaguely dwarven/trollish proxy. Strong warrior nation and all that, but yes physically similar to baseline humans. No weird coloration or i dunno..Spikes or chitin or something.

As for towns, I believe every province has a town, and its development level is what defines how many industry types it can support.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »

I think everyone here loves dwarves. I spend so much time making sure migrants have optimized professions, access to crafting, and a casual military squads solely to for morale from martial training  8)
I was aiming for a vaguely dwarven/trollish proxy. Strong warrior nation and all that, but yes physically similar to baseline humans. No weird coloration or i dunno..Spikes or chitin or something.
Beards, where?? Can you write more about the Doom?
As for towns, I believe every province has a town, and its development level is what defines how many industry types it can support.
Well how big is a province? I'm interested in seeing how population grows.
The vulnerability to skirmishers makes sense because it is hard for Nagas to dodge a javelin when it is thrown at their lower body, which is a pretty big target! This is more of a problem in large scale battles where you can't see who's throwing the javelin. A human can dodge dip dive duck and dodge  :P but a Naga can't protect its tail from every angle, and javelins have the penetrating power to tear right through the muscle!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:22:38 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:38 pm »

Quick post.  I'll add this into the next edition of the manual, but here are the (current) development levels and what threshold of urban population you need to reach them.

Development is determined by the total urban population in a province.  A new level is reached when a population threshold is crossed.  The development level is equal to the number of 'non-state' industries your territory can support.

0 – Unsettled.
1 – Villages.  Less than 500 urbanites.
2 – Market Town.  500 urbanites.
3 – Town.  1500 urbanites.
4 – Small City.  4000 urbanites.
5 – City.  8000 urbanites.
6 – Large City.  15,000 urbanites.
7 – Metropolis.  30,000 urbanites.
8 – Megalopolis.  64,000 urbanites.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2017, 05:40:44 am »

I'd like to withdraw my sheet from the game thanks~
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:07:05 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2017, 09:19:12 am »

Finally done with my sheet \o/

And cheers to everyone in what will happen--spectator or not; I hope to see this game to the end, and also hoping that it causes minimal to no burnout on Iiteum's part ._.

Also could I ask what is needed to start making Diplomats?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2017, 09:30:37 am »

Nations Picked

Roosts of Aeriala
Kingdom of Heth Garand
Autarchy of Varxsea
Empire of Fredek
Kingdom of Trelia
The Virtuous Lands
Clans of Defiance
Depths of Valdivia

Sadly, even allowing for 8 in the end I had to cut some damned good nations, but this is all I can manage.  Turn 1 won't start until at least the new year, if not probably Jan 3rd or similar.  Lots of setup to do.  Some nations are closer together than I expected, some are uniquely isolated.

So much coding to do and adjustments to make.  Diplomacy will require a tech along the Literacy tree - when I finish more of the tech tree.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2017, 09:38:45 am »

Turn 1 won't start until at least the new year, if not probably Jan 3rd or similar.  Lots of setup to do.  Some nations are closer together than I expected, some are uniquely isolated.
Only 2 (I think) picked ocean settings, so they'll have more space to themselves. ._. Otherwise, cheers to all those present and otherwise. Happy New Year ahead!

Also um ._. I'm pretty humbled by the awesome name you gave my people.

So much coding to do and adjustments to make.  Diplomacy will require a tech along the Literacy tree - when I finish more of the tech tree.
:vc
I feel like I want to edit my sheet more :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2017, 09:57:56 am »

Depends on the map.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2017, 11:40:40 am »

Turn 1 won't start until at least the new year, if not probably Jan 3rd or similar.  Lots of setup to do.  Some nations are closer together than I expected, some are uniquely isolated.
Only 2 (I think) picked ocean settings, so they'll have more space to themselves. ._.

Which two? With a map size of 236 and eight players, on average you would expect each empire to get roughly 30 territories. 48 water territories means that if there was two aquatic races, splitting the ocean they'd get about 80% as much territory as a land based nation. However, I can only see one water nation (Valdivia) unless I'm missing something. So they naturally get about 60% more territory then a terrestrial.

60% is a lot of extra land to be sure, but I'm not sure how that tracks too a benefit in this game... In past @war games, it would be a nice bonus if the game went on for long enough since taking lots of land was both a relatively cost effective investment on it's own and also required for efficient economic expansion (at least early game. Arguably in the last F@W we were about to hit the point where building tall gave a better roi then building wide, at least for quite a bit of growth until we needed to go wide again). However, in this one your economy is tied to your population, which doesn't just grow by taking new lands, but rather just by itself. And although it certainly needs room to grow, it's probably much less helpful for it to have more room then it currently needs. So economically expansion is probably less required early game. And late game who knows. If economic technology can keep up with population growth it might actually be possible to go tall for the entirety of the game in this game unlike in the previous @W games.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:46:17 am by Criptfeind »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2017, 11:55:09 am »

:-\
May I ask of any idea of how the map will look like anyway? I seem to be a total newbie and other people here seem to have experience to the hidden-mysteries-with-Iiteum. :O

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2017, 11:57:59 am »

I don't know any more then you have access too. Here's a post where the GM said how large the map is. He also says there that we'll have to explore it, so I'm guessing we won't have any idea what it looks like until we manually find out via scouts in game!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »

I don't know any more then you have access too. Here's a post where the GM said how large the map is. He also says there that we'll have to explore it, so I'm guessing we won't have any idea what it looks like until we manually find out via scouts in game!
Thanks for that :D
...Also I feel deeply :-[ because of not having read through the thread, but just the OP, then pressing 'reply' to shove my sheet .-.; when some questions were in the 4 page thread beforehand.

I'm picturing a 2D map with known areas being colored, and everything else being gray. :P Although I do wonder how much moneys we start with and with what buildings and whatnot.

Also I've finalized my sheet because I've decided to go all out with the stuffs to RP it. <_> [Added Doomed and pushed Warrior onto my Leader, and shoved Pioneers in. Handicaps all the way!] and then I get squished

OOh! Also since I keep reading 'age' and 'death/birth rates' and probably epidemiology...
Can leaders/heroes age and die? :-[
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:17:04 pm by Tiruin »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »

Hooray! I made it in, Sweet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »

It would be neat to gather all the sheets in one place, I think.

I don't have the time right now to do it though.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2017, 12:35:41 pm »

I guess Istrian will put up one eventually. He's going to need to reserve A LOOOT of pages in the play thread, methinks, as already the nations are too much to fit in one post, but here's a list of links to them I guess:

Roosts of Aeriala
Kingdom of Heth Garand
Autarchy of Varxsea
Empire of Fredek
Kingdom of Trelia
The Virtuous Lands
Clans of Defiance
Depths of Valdivia
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17