Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20275 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2017, 08:45:55 am »

Can...I pick a BIT of Fleet, but NOT have cavalry? :'(
Also sure, going for that -2 after adjusting and awaiting on this one IMPORTANT CRUCIAL TRAIT (because we didn't ever have cavalry :P Just infantry focus)

I mean, technically I'm still spending -1 point anyway, but I will not have cavalry, but everyone else will be at the speed of cavalry? o_O

New trait for you, you can take it with Ponderous.  2 points - Rangers.  Your people are skilled at crossing ground quickly on foot.  Increases the base move rate of your infantry to 3 Move, does not add charge phase effects as per cavalry or Fleet.
Yaaaay, highland fighters! :D
Done and edited my sheet with the mountainous adaptation.

...Err, could I ask what Stalkers actually does? I picked that to go along my racial localized theme (referencing my part of the Philippines; we didn't get colonized, we beat off high-tech other people, using terrain and skirmishing :P) [That, or I missed the bit n the PDF .-.;] {Or Skirmishing. I can only find references to it in the manual/PDF but...not direct details}.
Or...unless it all pertains to this combat phase in the manual.
Battle proceeds through several repeating phases in order of effective range. In a given round of combat, artillery units such as catapults will fire first, then ranged units such as longbowmen will attack, followed by pre-laid traps, cavalry, then skirmishers and ambushers, then a final melee crush. Aerial units have their own phases of combat within the round. You have almost no input during a battle itself, except your strategic ability to influence where it occurs and with what units. Once combat starts, it is entirely up to your men to survive and achieve victory
Because I'm lost on that other value than 'ranged' or 'charge' or 'melee' unless that means "This is the value used at this time of combat phase".
...So I'm wondering what Stalkers does. :B
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:11:33 am by Tiruin »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2017, 08:51:09 am »

Hmm. Thing is, I don't know how common ore is gonna be by default. Is a one point trait which does nothing but let me find ore more easily worth it?

...maybe I should just go for a one-point Hill Adaptation? What would that do for me?
Long Live United Forenia!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2017, 09:08:08 am »

Is Mundane mutually exclusive with sorcerer or high priest?

Also, what level do our leaders start at?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2017, 09:17:35 am »

Can...I pick a BIT of Fleet, but NOT have cavalry? :'(
Also sure, going for that -2 after adjusting and awaiting on this one IMPORTANT CRUCIAL TRAIT (because we didn't ever have cavalry :P Just infantry focus)

I mean, technically I'm still spending -1 point anyway, but I will not have cavalry, but everyone else will be at the speed of cavalry? o_O

New trait for you, you can take it with Ponderous.  2 points - Rangers.  Your people are skilled at crossing ground quickly on foot.  Increases the base move rate of your infantry to 3 Move, does not add charge phase effects as per cavalry or Fleet.
Yaaaay, highland fighters! :D
Done and edited my sheet with the mountainous adaptation.

...Err, could I ask what Stalkers actually does? I picked that to go along my racial localized theme (referencing my part of the Philippines; we didn't get colonized, we beat off high-tech other people, using terrain and skirmishing :P) [That, or I missed the bit n the PDF .-.;] {Or Skirmishing. I can only find references to it in the manual/PDF but...not direct details}.
Or...unless it all pertains to this combat phase in the manual.
Battle proceeds through several repeating phases in order of effective range. In a given round of combat, artillery units such as catapults will fire first, then ranged units such as longbowmen will attack, followed by pre-laid traps, cavalry, then skirmishers and ambushers, then a final melee crush. Aerial units have their own phases of combat within the round. You have almost no input during a battle itself, except your strategic ability to influence where it occurs and with what units. Once combat starts, it is entirely up to your men to survive and achieve victory
Because I'm lost on that other value than 'ranged' or 'charge' or 'melee' unless that means "This is the value used at this time of combat phase".
...So I'm wondering what Stalkers does. :B

Stalkers gives every unit you have damage power in the skirmish phase, essentially allowing all of your units to conduct ambushes (getting a vital strike in before melee).  But yes, the phase values essentially means 'this is how much damage you do/how much armour you have in that phase'.

In the same vein, Prodigious Strength gives every unit extra power in the melee phase (although most units are part of the melee phase and do a little damage anyway).

Hmm. Thing is, I don't know how common ore is gonna be by default. Is a one point trait which does nothing but let me find ore more easily worth it?

...maybe I should just go for a one-point Hill Adaptation? What would that do for me?

Up to you, really.  Either more food, better terrain movement, unique fortifications or possibly a racial mine that you can construct with better output than the norm.  Or the prospection ability.  With regards to prospecting - about 50% of the territories in the game have resources, the other 50% are un-resourced (but prospection can find new ones).

Is Mundane mutually exclusive with sorcerer or high priest?

Also, what level do our leaders start at?

Eh... with sorcerer, certainly.  I'm going to say yes for high priest as well, since high priests are clerics and clerics get to cast magic in this game.  So mundane excludes both.  So yes, mundane rulers need either bloodlines or to find native crystal mana (it's rare) to be able to gather mana for spells and enchanted weapons.

Leaders start at Level 3 - you get a couple of free feats either randomly selected or that I pick based off your background.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2017, 09:22:54 am »

Up to you, really.  Either more food, better terrain movement, unique fortifications or possibly a racial mine that you can construct with better output than the norm.  Or the prospection ability.
Ah, a better mine- that sounds like my cup of tea. I'll go edit that into my sheet.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:11 am »

Been pretty busy the last two days, working through the manual and trying to come up with an interesting and unique race/ leader combo.

Actually, question: Slavers trait. Do you get to pick the slaves and what sort of traits do they have? And does the Doomed trait also affect the slave race?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:38:36 am by Roboson »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2017, 10:42:24 am »

Been pretty busy the last two days, working through the manual and trying to come up with an interesting and unique race/ leader combo.

Actually, question: Slavers trait. Do you get to pick the slaves and what sort of traits do they have? And does the Doomed trait also affect the slave race?

Slavers doesn't give you a Slave race, Need client for that. Slaver just means that you start with it legal and get the starter tech for access to the buildings that demand slave.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2017, 10:48:04 am »

Slavers doesn't give you a Slave race, Need client for that. Slaver just means that you start with it legal and get the starter tech for access to the buildings that demand slave.

"Slavers:  (-1 Point)  Your people believed in forcing others into labour for their benefit via cruelty and oppression.  This habit, as well as slaves, have come with you into the new world.  You start with the Slavery tech and embrace slavery as well."

Ummmm, so has this bit been changed then? I haven't had a chance to go through all the discussion here with a fine toothed comb yet.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2017, 10:49:30 am »

Question, would it be possible to have a subspecies trait? Like, a portion of your population has a different set of traits, or is that just the client race? I ask because my idea involves what is basically my "ruling caste" to be notably physically different from the rest of their species.

Also, what sort of magic would Heliomancy fall under?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2017, 10:57:18 am »

From the Manual The way to create slaves without conquering places is the slave pit, and slaves themselves appear to be more of a type of good, abet one with special rules that make it kill population when created and create population when used. So I guess the starting slaves means you either start with a slave pit (and thus 1% of your population is enslaved) or some number of slave goods? I dunno, I guess some clarification would be nice! The game is notably missing ways to insure that you have a slave race in particular, although maybe you can designate certain races to not be enslaved or designate races you don't want enslaved to be an urban race?

What's the death rate of slavery by the way? Nearest I can tell is that slavery gives quite large bonuses and the ability to effectively move your population around (maybe a double edged sword that... But it might be worthwhile to replace slave buildings with normal ones in your core territories and build slave buildings at your frontier provinces to quickly staff them with population.) at the cost of unrest and an increase in death rate (and attracting the thieves guild faction which may or may not be a bad thing)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2017, 11:02:36 am »

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:17:15 pm by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2017, 11:08:40 am »

"Slavers:  (-1 Point)  Your people believed in forcing others into labour for their benefit via cruelty and oppression.  This habit, as well as slaves, have come with you into the new world.  You start with the Slavery tech and embrace slavery as well."

Ummmm, so has this bit been changed then? I haven't had a chance to go through all the discussion here with a fine toothed comb yet.
I assume that the slaves are of your own species.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2017, 11:30:39 am »

Tiny question (since this is important)

Client Race:   (-1 Point)  Your people long since subjugated another race, integrating them into their society.  [You start with a population of a second race.  You need to buy their points separately.]
Please clarify what this means, because my starting draft had this as a core concept, but I removed it because I thought it meant 'the points for this race will come from your race point pool'.

Also does this add to the starting population #'s?

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2017, 11:36:11 am »

So I was looking over the Buildings list on the front and I've decided to change the wolfos's Red thumb trait to hungry, in order to grab the armorer cultural trait. This is because of two reasons.

1. So many of the buildings demand tools, like most of them including slave buildings.  No other demand is as prevalent in the front page buildings except mounts to a lesser extent. So Tools are really important to grab early and without being an Idea specced race I don't feel like I want to waste many of them on the basic's if I can help it. Especially because while I start with a shrine, I don't actually have the tech from not taking faithfully to Build more of them. so I'll be stuck with the mana income of a sorcerer for a little while.
Tools are in demand by almost every building, so I don't feel bad grabbing that.
Hopefully, Between slave plantation with tools, I will be able to offset hungry, especially if I can grab another race with Green thumb *eyes other races*

2. Its a choice I can make without changing my Wolfos's backstory too much, Just making the task of metalworking a bit more important culturally. So I don't have to change my lore.
Tell me how about I'm supposed to be afraid of your race when they don't even have ponderous strength, you think raw technology is going allow you to enslave the other muscle-raging sapients?, think again. Since my race is a weird hybrid between military might and research in might be a difficult match for you for example ;-). I mean yes your more likely to go after the race that didn't choose military abilities, and essentially be a scavenger; but ehh. Your race would kinda be a hybrid between military and scavengers, taking advantage of the weakest while trying to hide from the strongest. Just note that military engagements might result in difficulty for you as only being fast on the ground, while no actual upgrade to offense or defense; just skirmishing.

Fleet Gives all of my Units charge damage like a cavalry unit deals, So my units get Increased damage and deal said damage two phases before the melee phase A.K.A the Phase that Prodigous strength is applied in. This statement is back up by
  Which implies that all my units have Charge offensive.

So I do have a bonus In offense and if you consider killing guys before they attack a good defense, I have that too. With Increased travel speed I feel confident In my Ability to Run circles around Large armies and Hit places with fewer defenses, After all, an army has a movement equal to its slowest unit.
This means that only Fliers and Calvary Can catch up with me if I really try to evade. and if cav Catch up with me when I get to Put My entire army Vs a grouped of cav. I feel quite confident about that. Ya, you have Fliers, but if I spawn near you the first thing I'm going to do is rush Elementalism. Send you up Like a turkey dinner.

I'm not even taking Armourers for the military tech  (though L.Axemen is quite nice early in the game, with lower upkeep then spearman and better melee stats) I'm taking it for the Industrial bonus that Providing Tools to all my Buildings will give me, including my Slave buildings.

Client Race:   (-1 Point)  Your people long since subjugated another race, integrating them into their society.  [You start with a population of a second race.  You need to buy their points separately.]
Please clarify what this means, because my starting draft had this as a core concept, but I removed it because I thought it meant 'the points for this race will come from your race point pool'.

I'm Fairly Sure that Client race means a % of your starting population will be the Client race (30% rulers 70%) and it starts with the proportions being
[Reserving a post.]

If you have 2 races, your client race will be around 35% of your total population (unless you want it higher - 70% slave race, 30% rulers is fine).  Also, yes, no bonus points for the client race, leaving them at a disadvantage compared to the main.
And I am reasonably sure that the client's race points will start at 0, to get more points they will have to take disadvantages.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2017, 11:46:26 am »

Yup, like humans you just enslave your own species, Athens style.

Yeah, you have to buy client race traits from your main points pool.  It replaces a percentage of your total population with the client race.

Out and about, will look at squids later when I have mire time.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17