Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20273 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51:12 am »

Question, would it be possible to have a subspecies trait? Like, a portion of your population has a different set of traits, or is that just the client race? I ask because my idea involves what is basically my "ruling caste" to be notably physically different from the rest of their species.

Also, what sort of magic would Heliomancy fall under?

Client race stat would be your friend there.  Heliomancy... probablu Elementalism.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »

Yeah, you have to buy client race traits from your main points pool.

Eh? Client's use up your main pool too (barring the obligatory -1 needed to get a client in the first place)? Huh. Here I thought they got a separate Pool, it just had to add up to +0...?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »

Can we get a bit more information on the Bravery trait? I'm wondering what sort of effect that has game wise.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2017, 12:06:42 pm »

Brave gives you more morale. Morale influences when your units run away from the battlefield.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »

Yeah, you have to buy client race traits from your main points pool.

Eh? Client's use up your main pool too (barring the obligatory -1 needed to get a client in the first place)? Huh. Here I thought they got a separate Pool, it just had to add up to +0...?

The -1 gives you a client race full stop.  You then pick the traits for that race, spending points from the same pool as you spent on your hero and main race.

Brave gives you more morale. Morale influences when your units run away from the battlefield.

Yup.  Brave units can take more damage before they turn tail; in an even fight it's the edge that makes the difference.  If in an even fight both sides hit 50% of their forces lost and 70% rout on one side while only 20% rout on the other, the surviving 30% will be wrecked by the suddenly numerically superior 80%.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »

Tiny question (since this is important)

Client Race:   (-1 Point)  Your people long since subjugated another race, integrating them into their society.  [You start with a population of a second race.  You need to buy their points separately.]
Please clarify what this means, because my starting draft had this as a core concept, but I removed it because I thought it meant 'the points for this race will come from your race point pool'.

Also does this add to the starting population #'s?

Yeah, you have to buy client race traits from your main points pool.  It replaces a percentage of your total population with the client race.
Now that I've thought about it, could I ask MORE clarity here? :P
As in, if we can build a certain race to specific mechanics, how will other general details (eg Manpower and otherwise, like picking only one race for warfare while the other is the rural or such folks) work out? Can we pick and diversify so the niches go where niches need be, and the non-niches go to where they need be? Or is this client race more a support/niche focus, to simplify and help your computational background instead? (eg Beasts of burden)
Because the initial draft for me was...robots, actually posting it below for clarity.

So I am deeply curious as to how this works out in both military, and industrial/general resource matters.

Also I'm unsure if we should re-pick the same negative traits if we want to share stuff, because it occurred to me that when you say client race, that also means 'hey part of your civilization has access to this, and doesn't have access to this' (eg Ponderous).

Also if the Client Race has a Leader, will that trait apply to all other leaders? I'm suspecting that for the client race, there are many limitations that will occur (unless...picking client race means "make another race but shared point pool").

Also with the Humans being Faithful, in that addendum up there (initial draft), I'd be adding a God of Order or...Prosperity, and stuff. o_o
I'm unsure where the theme would fall under but it'd be PM'd.

Unless...I am mistaken in that CLient Race, other than the -1 to point pool, means that if you'd like your player civilization to have the same characteristics--both positive AND negative must be equal, meaning that one can diversify despite these circumstances (meaning: You should copy negative traits to both major/client race, for it to fully apply, if it is an exclusive trait)?

Edoot: I see people picking Vulnerability {X}?
May I pick up Vulnerability {to Necromancy} if that is possible? Makes it easier for people to squish me but I'm doing it for the fun and RP, if the Hyoomins get picked. :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:25:28 pm by Tiruin »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21:07 pm »

Well here is one idea, unleash the zombie ants.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2017, 12:25:56 pm »

Ooh, I like. Necromancy Would have been my first choice if my muse hadn't decided on Wolfos. Depending on were I start I still Kinda want to go necromancy.

I very much like them.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »

Ooh, I like. Necromancy Would have been my first choice if my muse hadn't decided on Wolfos. Depending on were I start I still Kinda want to go necromancy.

I very much like them.
I'm feeling like you're the 3rd sheet who would like Necromancy.

See this is why we had to do the portal and bad things happened. :P

Friendly joking aside, I really wonder how deep Iiteum's pockets of lore go. There's a lot unmentioned both in the OP and Manual, so that means he must have it in his secret GM bookies/notepad++!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »

Simple explanations; long train and typing on my phone.

The martial traits such as Brave, Fleet and Flier affect raised units.  So long as you have some of a race with these benefits in a territory, you can raise units of their type in that territory.

Races with territory based stats, e.g. Green/Red Thumb, Industrious, Dull, can be set to prefer to be rural or urban.

I haven't put in segregation mechanics to drive races out of your territories ir into others , but if there is a want for it I will.

Heroes are shared and apart from cosmetics independent of the race system.

I added a Vulnerability to Terenos' race app as part of a special request, it wasn't really meant to be given out en masse because I have something planned there.  But essentially it's a 1 point malus that gives all your units +25% damage from a given source. Plus or minus other changes.  I have to change parts of certain things to balance these, so they're kind of a pain to put in and thr reason they weren't in the main trait list.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2017, 12:43:52 pm »

Simple explanations; long train and typing on my phone.

The martial traits such as Brave, Fleet and Flier affect raised units.  So long as you have some of a race with these benefits in a territory, you can raise units of their type in that territory.

Races with territory based stats, e.g. Green/Red Thumb, Industrious, Dull, can be set to prefer to be rural or urban.

I haven't put in segregation mechanics to drive races out of your territories ir into others , but if there is a want for it I will.

Heroes are shared and apart from cosmetics independent of the race system.
Gonna shove all that in my sheet there. :D I'm copying that Vulnerability thingy with its point value from others.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »

Client Racial Traits: [...] Doomed (+2)
I doubt you can take Doomed for your client race and not have it apply to both races.

Also, congrats on being the first person to post a sheet featuring both a starting lore and a power source!

PS, assuming I get in, I will be available to make items for your heroes at discounted rates! 33% off the normal gold cost, 10% off the Mithril and Mana costs! Yes, you can save £167 on a tier-one item by having me make it for you. Such value!
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:36 pm »

So I do have a bonus In offense and if you consider killing guys before they attack a good defense, I have that too. With Increased travel speed I feel confident In my Ability to Run circles around Large armies and Hit places with fewer defenses, After all, an army has a movement equal to its slowest unit.
This means that only Fliers and Calvary Can catch up with me if I really try to evade. and if cav Catch up with me when I get to Put My entire army Vs a grouped of cav. I feel quite confident about that. Ya, you have Fliers, but if I spawn near you the first thing I'm going to do is rush Elementalism. Send you up Like a turkey dinner.
All other things being equal, my ponderous farmer boom civ would dominate yours at nearly any point in the game. You don't have the manpower to do much early on, and you have very little urban pop. You could take 500 spearmen on a holdfast, probably, but your army will be crippled by the attempt, and you won't have time to use the new slaves for much.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »

I love how we don't know how combat works, we don't know what the world will look like, we don't know what higher tier buildings and tech looks like, we don't know what interactions or magic will be possible, the games not even started and players have not been picked. And even so people are posturing and threatening each other already.

We're really back in a proper @War game.  :D

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:56 pm »

Also, congrats on being the first person to post a sheet featuring both a starting lore and a power source!

I have it to, if I get around to adding the results of my super secret communications to my sheet.

I love how we don't know how combat works, we don't know what the world will look like, we don't know what higher tier buildings and tech looks like, we don't know what interactions or magic will be possible. And even so people are posturing and threatening each other already.

We're really back in a proper @War game.  :D

Pretty certain it's the mechanics from Hive race.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17