Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Gods War: D&D 5e and OOC thread  (Read 13775 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile

Come Where?

Ehh heh heh... wonder if I should've gone into more detail about that before...
The D&D Campaign uses a program called MapTools. If you go to this page and get the latest version, open it up, go to File -> Connect To Server, then you can use my IP Adress and Port to connect to the session I'm hosting.

Then we all throw imaginary dice and chat at each other and move things around on maps.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't come up. If your going to build TWO games that operate with each-other, wouldn't it be a good idea to let the players at least somewhat affect the other game in a way. Wouldn't that allow further reasons to build certain buildings?

You could have it that quests are either somewhat made and/or affected by the civ players and what there civilizations are, and the quests done could affect civilizations down it's path.

I... what?
The two games running in tandem, with each player's actions affecting both games, was the whole point from the beginning, and has influenced the game's design as such.
The adventurers will undertake, almost exclusively, missions that are of benefit to the Civilization players. Every ruin cleared is free housing, and probably has interesting location-based artifacts, like that one place with the weird air currents and array of pre-built gilde-a-pults. Each encounter with enemy units, every operation in enemy cities or garrisons, affects the Civilization game in a real way. The overall campaign objective is not Kill The One Bad Guy, it's the downfall of a dozen or so enemy Civilizations, with the aid of your own.
Likewise, the Civilization players will be working together with the adventurers; whichever player oversees the town the adventurers are staying in, will be given some options for how much resources to dedicate to helping them on their next mission. Free food is nice, some extra hands to help carry and guard supplies is always good, but battle parties along with Covert Ops adventurers are how things get done. The Civilization leaders are also free to request missions of the adventurers, and the adventurers are relying on the city leaders for supplies and shelter, not to mention class features.

It looks to me like both groups of players have a direct influence on the others' games, am I missing something? Did I miscommunicate and not make this clear before?
Your saying these things confuses me  :-\

Also, the maptools connection test for the D&D campaign is going to be 7PM (Central Standard Time) on Sunday, which is 40 hours from now. I'll leave the server up for several hours. If you haven't used Maptools before, it's a doubly good idea to show up for a quick lesson on how to use the program, and get a token made for your character.
I have admin access to my own router and have set up port forwarding for Maptools before, so assuming that all still works, we shouldn't need any extra software. (Thank goodness, Hamachi creeps me out sometimes)

So uh..
Well, what you just said in reply actually makes me realize I was incorrect, but of course, I originally thought 'They'll go do quests and probably do (BLANK), doesn't really affect civs' thought. You replied with what I was trying to question, and it made me happy. The fact that we can give adventurers gear and troops, etc, would be great.

A few questions however.

Can adventurers to choose to rest in civilizations NOT being the closest? This would allow other civilizations to try to 'bribe' the adventurers to come to their civ with better gear, etc.

Can civilizations SELL equipment to adventurers instead of just giving them stuff? As, if one civilization is the only one to make magical sword x, could they instead only sell it instead of giving it, making the adventurers go and buy it instead of just getting it? It'd be interesting.

Can us Civ players have a feel of how indepth game mechanics are? How are troops made? Can we specify what they have? How about trade? Can we barter specificially? Can our civilizations expand? Possibly even colonize other coasts? All sorts of things like that!
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess the adventurers could choose to go to one of the two nearest civs, yeah. They'd have to all agree on it though.

The adventurers will be able to buy things in your town, yes, but from the citizens, not the rulers. Money spent by the adventurers won't be added to your coffers. You can, however, work to make better gear available in your town in general.

As for the game system.... I'm putting the finishing touches on the OP for the Civ game thread, it should go up later today.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

So, the best time for me would be 4PM Sunday, if you can handle that(Which is 5PM for me) but I can make the late time work if needed.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gods War: D&D 5e and OOC thread
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2015, 06:34:11 pm »

The Gods War Civilization thread is live!
(took me bloody long enough)
(and the format still sucks)
QUICK EVERYONE GO POST TO WATCH

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2015, 06:44:49 pm »

Thieves Guild: Small chance per turn to reveal extra details about a known location. Rogue Adventurers must visit one of these to unlock their Roguish Archetype class features. Visiting Rogue adventurers drastically increase the revelation chance while stationed, and have +2 to their Proficiency Bonus during their next mission. Inexplicably, does not drain materials or wealth or anything.  (4000 Materials, 200 CP)

holy poop that's beautiful

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2015, 06:50:01 pm »

Thieves Guild: Small chance per turn to reveal extra details about a known location. Rogue Adventurers must visit one of these to unlock their Roguish Archetype class features. Visiting Rogue adventurers drastically increase the revelation chance while stationed, and have +2 to their Proficiency Bonus during their next mission. Inexplicably, does not drain materials or wealth or anything.  (4000 Materials, 200 CP)

holy poop that's beautiful
>TFW +11 to stealth and Thieves tools.

YOU CAN'T SEE ME, MY THEFT IS NOW.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »

PTW
Aren't you... one of the players?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 08:51:45 pm »

I meant, "why post to watch when you could just post your turn"...
But, eh, you've got until like midday Thursday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9