Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97190 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1929 Design
« Reply #1110 on: August 11, 2015, 06:31:15 am »

I'd quite like it to be made of metal, as all warships of this era are. It's not like we want it to be cheap anyway.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:10 am »

In my opinion, they'll probably be focusing on encrypting their radios and decrypting ours.

In what way do you think they'll try to counter our rifles? In my opinion it'd be better to design a counter-counter measure than just beefing up the thing they are trying to counter.
Why not upgrade your bread and butter? Even if they don't make a counter to the rifles, having a better weapon that's incredibly prolific would be amazing for the war effort.
You know, Boring but practical.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 11, 2015, 06:42:49 am »

The ship above will have a problem called - range. Stability can be issue, too

I'd quite like it to be made of metal, as all warships of this era are. It's not like we want it to be cheap anyway.
You are wrong here. USA successfully used wooden boats in WW2 -
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PT_boat
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:01 am »

I personally think we should go for air superiority then design parachutes. So we can get our close combat bonus and take over strategic positions easily.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:37 am »

if we're going to start off, might as well go full in with building military catamarans instead of regular ships

we have no experience either way, so what's gonna stop us?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 11, 2015, 07:04:54 am »

Quote from: Wiki
comparatively fragile construction that limited it to coastal waters.

Whilst that is technically our field of operations, I feel this and other things means the PT Boat wasn't really a warship but a patrol boat. Comparatively, the Battle of Jutland in WW1 was between British and German Warships, all metal.

Also, I just want boats made of metal.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 11, 2015, 07:07:01 am »

We are rather short of ore to not consider wooden hulls.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 11, 2015, 07:08:08 am »

Also, I just want boats made of metal.

i want to be bombing the arstotzkan capital with nerve gas

we can't have everything we want

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 11, 2015, 07:13:59 am »

We are rather short of ore to not consider wooden hulls.

We have 2 ore (unless the rebels are still blowing things up and Sensei isn't telling us), the Breaker requires 5. I think 5 ore will be enough. If not, hybrid hull. (It's not like spending all our ore on tanks means we can't produce guns after all)

i want to be bombing the arstotzkan capital with nerve gas

we can't have everything we want

Mine's more reasonable, viable and within reach. :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 11, 2015, 07:16:55 am »

what's not viable and unreasonable about efficiently and swiftly removing arstotzkans from the premises?

sure, delivery methods are a bit nonexistent right now, but my fellow engineers aren't exactly helping the matter

we got pretty close to the carrier which would have enabled me, but i conceded in favor of what i saw as assisting the war effort of now rather than removing arstotzkans in the future

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 11, 2015, 07:35:57 am »

It's not viable because of lack of delivery methods, and because we don't have any form of chemical or biological warfare. It's not reasonable because even Arstotzkans don't deserve that. It'd be like gassing a mental hospital.

Another idea I had:
Transistor Radio
Vacuum Tubes are complex and fragile. Transistors are clearly the way forward! It'll also allow more complex cryptography, and smaller radios.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 11, 2015, 07:42:38 am »

We finally have them on the back foot due to our radios, I don't know if just making a  new radio is the way to go instead of exploiting our breathing room for a bit.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:55 am »

It's not viable because of lack of delivery methods, and because we don't have any form of chemical or biological warfare. It's not reasonable because even Arstotzkans don't deserve that. It'd be like gassing a mental hospital.

Another idea I had:
Transistor Radio
Vacuum Tubes are complex and fragile. Transistors are clearly the way forward! It'll also allow more complex cryptography, and smaller radios.
Also, NBC warfare was never cost effective for an enemy determined to fight at all costs.

Historically only Chlorine and its associated compounds achieved some cost parity. Others simply sapped the enemy of their will to fight.

-1 to NBC agents.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:17 am »

A fair point. I wanted to put it forward as something not to forget though.

PPE: My post was not arguing for NBC agents, in fact against.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 11, 2015, 08:31:14 am »

A fair point. I wanted to put it forward as something not to forget though.

PPE: My post was not arguing for NBC agents, in fact against.
I basically argue against NBC agents. At least it is not in the spirit of this game.

It seems that we are torn between AT Recoilless Rifles or Sniper rifles. Choices anyone?

Hippo Recoilless Rifle
A thorough redesign on the Rhino, this time we finally should exploit the use of exhaust gases to reduce recoil to a Moskurgan-tolerable level. The design called for a 2.2 in caliber, and capable of firing HE and APSH rounds. Finally reloadable. Sufficiently advanced optical sights are designed to mainly provide a means of drop compensation, with graduation for both HE and APSH ballistics, even it this makes the gun expensive.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:02:44 am by evilcherry »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 135