Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97173 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1928 Design
« Reply #1050 on: August 09, 2015, 06:29:57 am »

With our resource woes taken care of, we should be able to start pushing forwards now.

Anyone think we should try to invent a proper sniper rifle? Also, Sensei, is developing encrypted radios a design action or a revision action?
Espionage. Unless maybe you're building a more permanent encoding machine.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 09, 2015, 06:41:22 am »

Looks like that's it, then.  Surrender?
Moskurg High Command would like to gently remind you that any further use of the S-word may result in a court marshal.

Just do it already, then.  I don't have the required support of my fellow officers, which is necessary to make a difference in the war effort.  Put it to them and see what happens.

On second thought, I'll just quit.  This is a sweet game, but you guys were losing badly on your own, you can continue to lose without my support.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:37:20 am by Devastator »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 09, 2015, 07:15:28 am »

Screw it. Let's build an enigma machine.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 09, 2015, 07:36:51 am »

((I thought of Ammo for the Rhino... anyway.))
(The codebreaking is definitely a spy action)

Just throwing out ideas.

Bearbreaker .61cal AMR
This scoped rifle is chambered in a new Bearbreaker .61 round, which is a .60 with a more propelling charge, and a wider variety of ammo like the newly developed AP and APHE. Having a barrel length of at least 30 inches, it is designed for a team of 2 or 3 (each will retain a pistol or SMG for self defense) to pick out machine gun nests and SPGs from afar.

Bearkiller .60cal Sniper Rifle
This scoped rifle uses the same old .60 cal, making it capable of firing the ammo of the Stallion. It is designed for lone soldiers wearing our brand new camo to kill off high-value personnel from afar.

Bearsmasher .30cal DMR
This scoped rifle uses the .30 cal, and is in some sense, a sibling of the MK-47. It can fit the magazine of the MK-47, and retains some of the automatic action, though only to cycle rounds, making it essentially a semi-auto. More importantly, there is a bolt lock equipped, so the rifle can be used as a bolt-lock if needed.

Dashbreaker 1.5" Autocannon
This gun is another development of the Bolt action system of the Cascade, and fires a new, large, and high velocity round of 1.5 in caliber, at a high rate of fire. Barrel length should be at least 60 calibers. Designed with water-cooling and belt-fed for AA versions, or as an alternative tank gun, air-cooled and speedloaded.

"Stronk" 4" Cannon
Because our T2s needed something more substantial. Long-barrel gun, designed to defeat armor at range, or, with Shrapnel shells, an AA gun.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 09, 2015, 07:41:03 am »

I don't know about that, but some form of advanced radio that keeps them from hearing our messages seems called for.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 09, 2015, 08:07:41 am »

I don't know about that, but some form of advanced radio that keeps them from hearing our messages seems called for.
This will be very hard without some form of semiconductor technology. Of course we can make use of enigma machines but they are not very useful on the tactical level.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1056 on: August 09, 2015, 12:12:41 pm »

This will be very hard without some form of semiconductor technology. Of course we can make use of enigma machines but they are not very useful on the tactical level.
An enigma machine is no more complicated, from an electrical engineering standpoint, than a portable radio. And there will be no time for tactics if we have no strategic advantage to speak of because enemy knows exactly where, when, and how we're going to be across all fronts.

NCOs are, by definition, not commanders, so they should only be identified by a different camouflage.
That's a really awesome way to get your officers killed by snipers. No: DON'T give your officers special weapons (officers in the American Army during WW2 were known to carry SMGs and this helped snipers identify them), DON'T give your officers special insignia, clothes, or hats.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 09, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »

I vote for optics now. This will give us a huge advantage in the mountains and it will give our tanks the chance to out range the tank destroyers .

It may also help in the war in the air.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1058 on: August 09, 2015, 01:32:27 pm »

I vote for optics now. This will give us a huge advantage in the mountains and it will give our tanks the chance to out range the tank destroyers .

It may also help in the war in the air.
+1 to my Optics suggestion

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 09, 2015, 07:20:01 pm »

An enigma machine is no more complicated, from an electrical engineering standpoint, than a portable radio. And there will be no time for tactics if we have no strategic advantage to speak of because enemy knows exactly where, when, and how we're going to be across all fronts.

NCOs are, by definition, not commanders, so they should only be identified by a different camouflage.
That's a really awesome way to get your officers killed by snipers. No: DON'T give your officers special weapons (officers in the American Army during WW2 were known to carry SMGs and this helped snipers identify them), DON'T give your officers special insignia, clothes, or hats.
An Enigma machine is of course not a complicated technology. Using an enigma machine at anything below company level needs superhuman ability.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1060 on: August 09, 2015, 08:54:13 pm »

An Enigma machine is of course not a complicated technology.

Using an enigma machine at anything below company level needs superhuman ability.
You just claimed that it would be hard to make because of deficiencies in semiconductor technology.

Why would an analogue cypher machine ever replace our radios? If we want to encrypt squad-level communications, we should revise the existing radios to have encrypt/decrypt capability (its really simple; your radio garbles outgoing messages with noise, and you can only hear the message if your radio is tuned to wash out the same frequency of noise). The machine is supposed to be used to encrypt high-level military communications, such that they can't be intercepted even if your enemy guesses your radio frequency the hard way or obtains it through documents or prisoners. You'd only ever have the machines accompanying general staff. Those two things together would make communications as secure as reasonably possible.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:32 pm »

Optical sights have basically all the votes since the 1927 turn was posted, so optical sights it is.

Eagle Sight: A basic refractive telescopic sight for use on Moskurg rifles, machine guns (where they can benefit from a scope) and tanks alike. They can be manufactured for magnification between 1.5x and 4x, but the magnification cannot be adjusted. They must be custom-fitted onto weapons, and the precision required in lens manufacturing makes them Expensive. A sight can be adjusted with screws on the top and side, and must be sighted in regularly. The sights have small eye relief (one must put their eye very close to sight to see clearly) and are prone to "biting" when used on rifles, leaving a mark around a careless soldier's eye. They also have a pretty narrow field of view.

You've gain Telescopic Sights.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1928 Revision
« Reply #1062 on: August 09, 2015, 10:03:20 pm »

Bump, for Moskurg glory.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 09, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »

I vote to revise our radios into encrypted radios.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 09, 2015, 10:35:17 pm »

I vote to revise our radios into encrypted radios.
+1, but into encrypted perfectly man-portable radios.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 135