Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159479 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Production
« Reply #2055 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:15 pm »

As Kot likes, to say, HOLY GOD EMPEROR ELEVEN REPLIES???

I hope you added a zero to much to that.

nope. I did say I wanted to remove cities. lets outdo the barrel size obsessed germans.

Actually, lets outdo the gun nuts of Jules verne's "from the earth to the moon". lets make a 20 m cannon!
aiming that might be troublesome...

edit: in case it is not clear, this is meant in jest.
Heh, my immediate though at the notion of a 3000mm gun was "Arstotzka launches first successful satellite, 1930. Consists of large block of lead."

Also, while reading up on armor, I found this book on body armor as a citations, which will no doubt be of interest, especially if you're wanting to make body armor for your troops, but it seems to have better-organized information about body armor in our period of history than I can easily find on the internet.

And yes, I said before that you needed to make scopes during the design phase, but you could make a new gun to put the scopes on at the same time. That gun certainly could be an assault rifle, but it would make for a very ambitious design phase.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1929 Design
« Reply #2056 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »

We don't really need to.

In the desert , the primary push came from better radio and artillery support
In the mountains, their sniper was important, but with support from automated weaponry
In the Jungle,  it's automated weaponry all the way.

Also UR, we're not losing the mountains. Once they near our mines, they have to face serious armor support.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: August 10, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »

Editing this post. Dont noone ninja me with one. Particularly not a sissy 12.7mm gun.

Comeon Andres! Dont ninja me when I ask/tell you not to!

He did? Well, herere comes a big ol' sniper weapon!

Editing this post. Dont noone ninja me with one. Particularly not a sissy 12.7mm gun.

Also: Dang ninja

-Edit-

Spoiler: AS-AMR-29 (click to show/hide)

While this weapon will be of low use in urban and jungle fighting, on the desert and in the mountains it should prove useful. And yes, it is rather heavy, but it does keep us from needing to get a new round, is not the most insane anti-material rifle out there (theres one firing 20x105mm, aswell as the various semi automatic and automatic 20x~mm AT rifles). And, hey. Telescopic sights.

Also, I cant say I am not somewhat irked that they beat us to optics.

Also, what do we want to do for the Chinese? Supply the communists, and cement our reputation with the Russians (and then ruin it by stealing a spy) or go with the nationalists and get in the good graces of 'Murica?

Oh, and can we reverse engineer their code machines? Make our owh copies, supplied with their own keys? Or should we just hand out one-time pads to everyone with a radio, each individualized?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: August 10, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »

well. I am going to sleep so I'll let you discuss the most appropriate choice.

However for the revision

revise our radio to have proper encryption like that of our enemies ( or better!)
because them listening to us is a way too big advantage.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2059 on: August 10, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »

scoped assault rifle is a bad idea. Too many potential failures.
Exactly. Assault rifle aren't even accurate enough to put a scope on.
Bullshit, this isin't some FPS game, being an assault rifle doesn't make a gun unnacurate.
AS-GB29 - motor gunboat armed with a turret taken from T25 and capable to carry marine infantry.
Needs more firepower in form of rocket artillery though. It can be made before or after the boat.
Spoiler: AS-FP-29 (click to show/hide)
- bringing airforce to jungles
No. Same reasons as glorious Fi-29. ;_;
As for holding mountains....
I think that there other ways to counter that scopes if we choose this route. No need to counter their advantages with exact copy.
Like?

Also, guys, we don't really need to be very quick with it. Did Moskurgians even react in their thread?

FUCKITY FUCKITY FUCK NEW POST NEW POST
Also, I'm not sure if revision of radio will cut it. We can at least try to be creative with it though.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: August 10, 2015, 07:08:02 pm »

A revision will cut it, since that is what they used on their own radio.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2061 on: August 10, 2015, 07:09:05 pm »

Don't we maybe happen to have natives who use really obscure language on our part of island? Dunno, polar-bear people?
Also, it did? I don't really pay much attention to pitful Moskurgian attempts of making something useful.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: August 10, 2015, 07:12:19 pm »

Spoiler: AS-AMR-29 (click to show/hide)
An AM rifle won't be nearly as useful against infantry as a regular sniper rifle, which is where we're currently lacking. We have enough AT weapons in the forms of our RPGs and tank destroyers.

In the Jungle,  it's automated weaponry all the way.
You're saying their cheap Cascade was actually useful? But that's impossible! Aseaheru himself said that revising our MC16 was a massive waste of time with no tactical benefit! Shit, if only there were someone around here who could've told us a cheap SMG would've been useful all along.

A revision will cut it, since that is what they used on their own radio.
Exactly.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:13:54 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: August 10, 2015, 07:13:25 pm »

Ways to kick their ass in mountains.

1) Air to land rockets usable by our bombers and that old cheap triplanes
2) Mountain howitzer
3) 20*100mm heavy sniper rifle to outrange their sniper rifles
4) New mortar
5) RPG-2. Larger caliber, longer range (Bonus: will help to get +1 ore for 3 turns)
6) Nimble air-superiority\strafing aircraft to clear the skies and let our dive bombers bomb more easily. + strafing  enemy in narrow mountain passes
7) New 12*100mm machinegun (bonus: can help to win the expense credit if we manage to keep it cheap)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:15:07 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: August 10, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »

Spoiler: AS-RA120 (click to show/hide)

You're saying their cheap Cascade was actually useful? But that's impossible! Aseaheru himself said that revising our MC16 was a massive waste of time with no tactical benefit! Shit, if only there were someone around here who could've told us a cheap SMG was useful all this time.

It wasn't the cascade, as that one never became expensive. It was the rest of their automated weaponry.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: August 10, 2015, 07:19:39 pm »

2) Mountain howitzer
4) New mortar
5) RPG-2. Larger caliber, longer range (Bonus: will help to get +1 ore for 3 turns)
6) Nimble air-superiority\strafing aircraft to clear the skies and let our dive bombers bomb more easily. + strafing  enemy in narrow mountain passes
You obviously haven't been paying attention. The battle reports have stated multiple times that artillery is either useless or significantly less useful than small arms in the Mountains. Our planes and mortars have had only limited success in the Mountains at any point in time while any new advances in small arms has been a great success for whoever made the advancement.

3) 20*100mm heavy sniper rifle to outrange their sniper rifles
We don't need to outrange their sniper rifles, we just need to be more accurate. Moreover, a 20mm sniper rifle is way, way overkill. What you're talking about isn't even an AM rifle, it's an AT rifle. It's of limited usefulness against tanks but not infantry, especially considering the enemy's ability to suppress us.

7) New 12*100mm machinegun (bonus: can help to win the expense credit if we manage to keep it cheap)
Like our 1910, it would be too heavy to use in the Mountains.

Glory to Arstotzka.

You're saying their cheap Cascade was actually useful? But that's impossible! Aseaheru himself said that revising our MC16 was a massive waste of time with no tactical benefit! Shit, if only there were someone around here who could've told us a cheap SMG was useful all this time.

It wasn't the cascade, as that one never became expensive. It was the rest of their automated weaponry.
IMoskurg still makes very prolific use of the Cascade, and has an advantage in infantry fights in the jungle which tend to be at close-medium range.
Exactly how many direct battle report quotes do I need to submit before the usefulness of the SMG becomes apparent to you guys?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2066 on: August 10, 2015, 07:21:21 pm »

2) Mountain howitzer
4) New mortar

Can be combined in a simple rocket artillery. Germans mounted Nebelwerfer rockets on their planes, after all.
Spoiler: AS-RA120 (click to show/hide)
I am against anything emulating Russian Katyusha. Nebelwerfer style six-shooter 150mm rocket launcher would be better, as it would be actually more portable, maybe even allowing us to use it in mountains, not to mention that it could be mounted on other vehicles like Katyusha too.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: August 10, 2015, 07:24:11 pm »

I dont think anyone of us has ever said that SMGs are useless. Just that handing every fucking soldier we have one is useless, or atleast of less use than developing something else instead.

That said, I think that it is getting to the time when we should develop a new SMG. Perhaps utilizing some of the more interesting tricks SMGs use, like telescoping bolts a few dozen years ahead of time.

-edit-

For clarification, I am NOT saying we should do that this year, or even in the next few. Just in the next 10 or so years, whenever we can get the time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: August 10, 2015, 07:24:53 pm »

Telescoping bolts aren't actually new, the M1911 used it. And the first SMG to use it was done in 1948, so it could be something we could attempt.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:27:38 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2069 on: August 10, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

Can't we just, like, divert SMGs from plains or mountains and send them to jungle or something?
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 217