Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159489 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1920 Design
« Reply #795 on: July 30, 2015, 05:49:15 am »

We still have one full turn though. And radio will help in all three theaters.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 30, 2015, 05:53:03 am »

No news over spying...

I say give up jungles and focus on getting both design contracts. Pilots, please forgive us
The Expense contracts aren't really that useful to us. The only Expensive things we have are the SMG, the tank, the plane, the truck, and the autocannon.
Revising the SMG this turn will make it non-Expensive and we keep the Jungle.
The tank just isn't that good and we should replace it with a full redesign, making the treads simpler than what they are now.
The plane is shit and and getting more of them out there would be a waste until we fix it.
The truck has no combat capabilites (not even mentioned being in a battle in the battle report) and its Expense only means anything in battle. Multiplying its ability to have 0 effect on the battles would be an even bigger waste than more planes since we actually get 0 advantage from it.
We could actually do with some more autocannons in the trenches, but that's about it.

Hence why I think the Expense credits aren't all that useful to us. For sure it would be great if we got one, but it shouldn't be our top priority.

I think I may have just had a great idea. The secret guys want concealable weapons, but they never said they specifically wanted a gun. What if we designed hand grenades instead? We most certainly have the tech for it and the design would be done so quickly we could work on making multiple types. Since an explosive is an explosive, those multiple types could then be applied to our tanks, non-Expensive mortars, and non-Expensive artillery.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: The unnamed organisation even wanted a powerful concealable weapon. Can't get much more powerful than a grenade.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:57:21 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 30, 2015, 06:04:35 am »

I think I know what we need to do to hold the ground!

Landmines!
1)It is really hard to advance through jungles when it is mined to hell. Mining roads will leave them without armor
2)It is a definition of a powerful concealable weapon
3)Helps to hold the ground on all fronts
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:06:23 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 30, 2015, 06:05:37 am »

That could indeed work.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 30, 2015, 06:10:58 am »

How about this design action?

Develop  landmines. In order of priority: 1)Simple and cheap mine based on our mortar shell 2)More advanced anti-personnel shrapnel mine. 3) anti-tank mine 4)signal mine
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 30, 2015, 06:12:20 am »

I think I know what we need to do to hold the ground!

Landmines!
1)It is really hard to advance through jungles when it is mined to hell. Mining roads will leave them without armor
2)It is a definition of a powerful concealable weapon
3)Helps to hold the ground on all fronts
As much as I hate to say it, landmines do seem to be the best possible option so far. Our biggest priority isn't to recapture the Jungle, but just to make sure they don't. Our landmines should be anti-personnel. In the Jungle, enemy infantry are as a whole more dangerous than vehicles. Moreover, the enemy probably hasn't armoured their vehicles' undersides (or at least haven't done so enough) so our anti-personnel should still be able to destroy them.

Design the AS-LM20. If an acceptable design is made, produce an anti-tank version of it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So long as it matches the naming scheme, I support UR changing the name of the landmine.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT:
How about this design action?

Develop  landmines. In order of priority: 1)Simple and cheap mine based on our mortar shell 2)More advanced anti-personnel shrapnel mine. 3) anti-tank mine 4)signal mine
I support this. No use in developing landmines unless we can deploy them everywhere in the Jungle.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:26 am »

oh and 5) Vietcong style mechanical traps

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:53 am »

I'm tempted to try and add a new explosive such as PTNE to the requirements. Having a better explsive would help woth everything.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:41 am »

You know, instead of revising our SMGs we could do something else. We could design a rifle that uses a simplified version of the SMG's mechanics, essentially just upsizing the SMG to use 7.76mm. This rifle would be shorter than a normal rifle to make the automatic action handleable. This rifle would be excellent for assaulting enemy trenches, bases, and even on the field, and therefore I think we should call this weapon the "assault rifle".

Glory to Arstotzka.

I'm tempted to try and add a new explosive such as PTNE to the requirements. Having a better explsive would help woth everything.
PTNE? ???

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 30, 2015, 06:42:46 am »

I think we are all missing the simpler solution. We could just develop a shotgun?
I will, for now, vote for the assault rifle. And I have a nickname for it: the S smasher!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:08 am »

I think we are all missing the simpler solution. We could just develop a shotgun?
I will, for now, vote for the assault rifle. And I have a nickname for it: the S smasher!
We have a shotgun. Also, no nicknames only numbers.

And, we made the rifle to end all rifles  four times now. I'm not optimistic about the chances for succes.

Also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaerythritol_tetranitrate

I vote for the landmine.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:49:30 am by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:17 am »

Just for the record, I'm still voting landmines. The assault rifle was just an idea for later. Heck, we could probably do it in the Revision phase by upsizing our SMG.

And, we made the rifle to end all rifles  four times now. I'm not optimistic about the chances for succes.
That's like saying the AK47 can be replaced by an M1 Garand or an MP5. So far, we have decent bolt-actions, semi-autos, carbines, and soon we'll get a decent SMG. We're just missing a few more types of small arms and then we'd basically be done with it.
We're missing assault rifles, sniper rifles, and pistols. No real point in shotguns considering that our SMG is far superior. (Both our DB shotgun and our SMG are Expensive, but the SMG was the one considered "revolutionary" and the one that gained us a lot of ground.)

Also, the fact that we've had such a good track record with small arms probably gives us a bonus rather than a malus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaerythritol_tetranitrate
We probably won't be able to get anything like that for a long time.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:48 am »

Voting for landmines.

Oh, our SMG is technically concealable... We should offer it up.

Offer AS-T15 to Soviets, AS-MC16 to the unknown group.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:22 am »

We can have nicknames AND numbers, silly.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:04 am »

And be like dirty imperials? We do not presume to name what we give our glorious troops, for they can very well name their gear themselves. All Glory To Arstotzka!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 217