Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2503 2504 [2505] 2506 2507 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099765 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37560 on: October 17, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »

No, dump it all into the cavern without exploring first!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37561 on: October 17, 2014, 05:30:08 pm »

Sounds like a job for magma.
I suppose that would be the best option, but I dont have access at the moment. I'm just going to try draining it into the cavern lake and shoving a wall in the breach at the moment. If that doesn't work, I'll have to wait until I get a few pumps available.

Also, my expedition leader learned resurrection magic and is resurrecting the carp men I killed a while back. The first corpse he raised immediately gained a name, despite never harming anything besides my food stockpile. Still registers as a wild animal after resurrection. Here's to hoping this doesn't get completely out of control.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37562 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »

Can BDs destroy from below now, or did I forget to forbid/lock my floorhatches?

Ive got two GCOs inbound and enraged after roflstomping some voracious cave crawlers, and I have only two military members.

You probably forgot to lock them.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37563 on: October 17, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »

I finally cut off the flow of the breached river into my fortress. I couldn't stifle the flow completely, but I did get the masons to build a wall across the hallway just beyond the door to the farms, which means no more water is getting into the habitable parts of the fort.

Water is still draining down a drainage stairwell I made into the caverns. I've decided to make it the centerpiece of a meeting room as a permanent waterfall.

Also, the expedition leader continues to resurrect the dead. He's raised the butchered skins of some farm animals, another two carpmen, and a giant sponge. Thankfully, despite the sponge being right outside the door and the carp men wandering inside into a cage trap, they aren't bothering the dorfs. The EL is limited to a kinda sucky resurrection interaction that doesn't regenerate the body of the dead, and they're sterile. He keeps raising the dog, it keeps falling over dead in a couple ticks. Raised a rabbit that bled to death in the freakish weather, and he's doing fine now. Still a pet to the same dorf as before death, too, which makes me want to do science on just how resurrection affects relationships.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37564 on: October 17, 2014, 09:15:49 pm »

I narrowly avoided a serious birdsplosion, over 40 or so chicks were born, many more would have been born if I had not unlocked the door and unforbid the other eggs. ._. very dangerous.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37565 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

One of the miners in my fort inherited the title of baroness randomly.
Their husband is the militia commander.

Then they had 4 kids.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37566 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:00 pm »

I got swamped with a ton of "Urist McDwarf cancels be a reasonable person: interrupted by dingo woman." messages. Nine dingo people tried to pass the aboveground installations and a howling mob of civilians descended upon them and punched eight them to death. I decided not to send in the military, the civilians were doing just fine: no fort member got seriously hurt - the fact that all of those fights took place at a serious numerical advantage probably played a role. Five citizens gained a level or two of wrestler skill, and most who were involved are skilled to talented observers now.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37567 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:15 pm »

My experience says that titan material doesn't contribute much in his lethality, except if it's really fragile kind. It's attack that makes a difference. I would fight him in the open and see if anyone burst into blood splatter or start rotting.

But then, I just love infantry actions. Magma is for nerds.
Well, it's my first fort trying the limited initial pop cap to get set up method, so at this point I think I had 30 dorfs or less, generally dedicated towards building stuff for after I remove the population cap, smoothing/engraving everything, getting steel made/turned into fun toys for when I get the military all set up, glass making to pretty everything up, getting tons of booze and meals made and stored away, and so forth. As a result I hit the titan wealth trigger pretty quickly, but wasn't eager to risk dorfs yet, as the only death so far was a mason who decided that a fistfight with a rattlesnake was a great idea. She seemed fine but apparently her face started to rot and then she was found dead pretty quickly afterwards. >.<

As for what is going on currently, I made an interesting discovery!

I've got everything engraved right, which poses problems if you didn't plan everything out beforehand, I did have time to do this and most of the stuff is right where I want it to be, but after reading over the bedroom design wiki page I decided to see if there were enough non-masterwork walls I could remove to expand them to fill the required space to count as royal.

As an experiment I pulled up tiletypes and set it to paint smooth lava_stone floor on a point, and used it on a wall which was only exceptionally engraved... turning it from an exceptionally engraved chalk wall into an exceptionally engraved obsidian floor? It keeps the engraving?

*checks with a masterwork wall*
*no defacement message, everyone is still super happy*

Now I gotta figure out how to space cabinets so the royal bedrooms don't overlap the ones belonging to other dorfs, because when I first flattened all the walls and expanded the bedrooms to fill the chamber it ended up with each dorf owning 60 cabinets that belonged to the other 30 dorfs as well, and everyone started playing musical chairs shuffling socks and pants in and out of cabinets endlessly.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37568 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:25 am »

I don't think it needs a new thread, but I have a bit of issues with my population cap as well.

From the init files, it looks like there is a soft and strict population cap, as well as a baby cap. I wanted to start with my initial dwarves and organically grow my fortress (eg natural births no migrants) so I set the soft population cap (the first number) to 7. Everything else is default. So this has stopped migrants which is excellent, but it seems that my dwarves aren't breeding. I don't know if it's lack of time/interest, or if the population cap really did affect it. Any ideas?

You can set the maximum population of your fortress here.  Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.  The strict cap also stops fort births.  Both caps can be violated by a few special cases, like the arrival of the monarch if you qualify.

[POPULATION_CAP:7]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:200]

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:50:1000]
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37569 on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:46 am »

I have mixed feelings about an adamantine barrel, especially considering the purpose of my fort is to stockpile supplies and build a horror house.

But, I do note the irony of the barrel's name.  There is was no water on site (until I found a tucked away aquifer).  And my forge has itself seen disuse.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:31:27 am by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37570 on: October 18, 2014, 12:31:51 pm »

Winter, 126;

Two wounded, cave troll. Numerous injuries. No water. They're fucked.

...So yeah. Is there any chance these two (A heavily injured miner and my bookkeeper) will survive without water until spring?

Edit: Time of death is 1900 on 26th of Obsidian, 126. Dehydration.

At least the bookkeeper got better.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:47:05 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37571 on: October 18, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »

Winter, 126;

...So yeah. Is there any chance these two (A heavily injured miner and my bookkeeper) will survive without water until spring?

Depends on how thirsty they already are, if either can work, and how far spring is away. 

To my recollection, it takes about 2-3 months to die of dehydration from the time of the last drink.  If you're in mid or early winter and hoping to make it to mid-spring for the migration... seems kinda unlikely if neither can work.  If one of them can work then it's probably salvageable.

Even if they can't work, sometimes the injured will recover to being well enough to work on their own, so I'd probably let it run until it's well and truly over.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37572 on: October 18, 2014, 03:20:36 pm »

Winter, 126;

Depends on how thirsty they already are, if either can work, and how far spring is away. 

To my recollection, it takes about 2-3 months to die of dehydration from the time of the last drink.  If you're in mid or early winter and hoping to make it to mid-spring for the migration... seems kinda unlikely if neither can work.  If one of them can work then it's probably salvageable.

Even if they can't work, sometimes the injured will recover to being well enough to work on their own, so I'd probably let it run until it's well and truly over.
This amused me given the context.

So I've been bringing in new migrants now that I bumped the cap up to 100, had a forest titan show up with deadly spittle.

He ran straight up to the outdoors armor stand I used to get rid of military cave adaption, which meant after I turned on the civilian alert to get everyone inside and activated the main meleedorf squad, they came down staircases on either side and had a good old fashioned curbstomp on him.

Weirdly, during the fight he lobbed a glob of spittle a good 20 squares south and killed the dog I use as a lure to get the undead to path into the magma killing zones properly... seems unnecessary, but hey.

Remembered I have an artifact door sealing off the cavern atm with a troll sitting outside of it.

I also dropped a kitten and random tame giant rattlesnake I recovered from the burnt carcasses of the most recent treehumpers to stop by. The diplomat had some balls too, came in, stood in the middle of my military and told me we disrespected the trees and that he shouldn't expect anything more from our stunted kind.

*THOK* There goes your skull, mate, have fun being an ornament on the fortress walls!

Anyway, I went down and set up a couple of supports with a 3x3x2 block sitting on top of them, unforbid the door... nothing.

Opened the inner door... nothing.

Dorfs strolled out past him to gather webs.

Nothing.

The kitten senses the path back into the fort, gets close to the troll and freaks, running back and forth a few times (incidentally, that little guy has covered the cavern with vermin carcasses, holy crap) and then the giant rattlesnake saunters in, FREAKS THE TROLL OUT, and proceeds to kick it about the face and ass... jumping away from the troll as it attacked (what?) trying to bite it in the tusk (why?) and at one point it stood up, I know in the back of my head that it is just the generic "resuming fighting position after being knocked prone" message... but holy crap now I see why the troll freaked and ran off to die from the poison (robbing the snake of a name... what a jerk) as that is some scary stuff.
She is now the official mascot of the military, whenever and wherever I have them training, she will be pastured with them. Already helped them kick another eagle corpse to death... best snake ever, I'll have to thank that elf next time I see hi- oh wait...
...he melted.
Also, cave adaptation is so hilariously amazingly disgusting, I love it being back so much.
While the wall around the wagon and the first three rows of floor tiles around it are actually olivine... the rest of isn't supposed to be green.

Had a dorf run over to the food pile and grab a plump helmet, then start to head towards his room, puking the whole time (I'm crying typing this out) pukes on his staircase, pukes on his chair, sits down in it, eats the helmet, then promptly horks it back up all over the fort again as he heads back outside.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37573 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »

Destroyed my first fort this version today.  An eerie pit is glowing because everything in it was either made of soot, ash, or flame.  And no nasty side effects thus far, just some solid extract spitting.

---

Also, do not see what people are saying, about over-sensitive survivors.  I have 21 survivors still, locked behind several doors.  Not even a slightly unhappy bro.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:44:41 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37574 on: October 18, 2014, 08:17:05 pm »

Thinking about Mrs. Standing Rattlesnake... I wish I could get her some armor.

'Ey, Urist McArmorsmith, can you make me a chainmail sock?'
"Well, I suppose so, Duke McLegendary, your uh... Dukefulness... but wouldn't it be uncomfortable?"
*the 20 year old who arrived at the fort with all legendary skills and maxed stats but is definitely not a vampire so to apologize for thinking he was I made him the baron (no item preferences? best.noble.ever! how did this happen and how do I make more of them?) and later a duke pauses and thinks for a moment*
'You're right, could you modify it as well?'
"Possibly, what would you like me to do to it?"
'Cut the toe off and put it on this snake.'
O.o
Pages: 1 ... 2503 2504 [2505] 2506 2507 ... 3842