Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2501 2502 [2503] 2504 2505 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099713 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37530 on: October 15, 2014, 07:19:34 pm »

Made a speedrun fort, and had adamantium being extracted during the first winter.

During the second winter, I lost half of my dwarves to a forgotten beast.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37531 on: October 15, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »

I have a skeleton of a dwarven adventurer in my fortress, but the dwarves won't bury him. I did reclaim the body, but...
Which civilization did he come from? If it's not yours, he's not getting into a coffin. He could be put in a graveyard with a "dump" command.
She was mine though. I checked before embarking...

Well I guess you can't bury him unless you play a reclaim or unretire game.
My current fort has a refugee from previous game but I can't choose to entomb him.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37532 on: October 15, 2014, 07:27:57 pm »

It wouldn't have gotten worse; it'd have gotten more Fun.
Possibly !!Fun!!, if you had a magma reservoir or trapped dragon/Titan/FB/clown.

Well it was only the first early-autum. I planning on making it a useless dwarf/animal/invader disposal to get a secondary use out of the trapped dwarf.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37533 on: October 15, 2014, 08:02:51 pm »

Currently excavating one of the lowest levels of the map to find Adamantine.
Not much luck, but SO MUCH CASSITERITE.
SO MUCH.
Also a bunch of random gems.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37534 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:55 pm »

Giant elephant seals visited my fort. Unfortunately, i only got a handle on my hunters when a single bull was left. And that bull was full of bolts, too. He's up at -Trained- now, and he's mostly scarred over, but both his eyes are useless.

It took a while of power-cooking until the dwarfs finally decided to use the meat. The biggest resulting stack consists of 2311 roasts; the entire fort could live off this single stack for 4-5 years.

I decided to wait for release .14 instead of upgrading from .11 to .13. Apparently this means i should never so much as peek at the HFS, or my FPS will die.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37535 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »

I have a cyclops that thinks he is Tarzan right now, jumping from tree to tree and has only fallen once since he began two months ago.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37536 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:48 pm »

I should change this guy's name to Urist Jenkins... He's charged solo off of position orders eight times now. One time, he pursued a passing by deer instead of fighting the goblins...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

nightdagger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37537 on: October 15, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »

My newest fort is the strangest one I've ever played.

The first caravan showed up with the "No outpost liason?" message, which I had never seen before. After looking it up and discovering that it can mean the civ you chose is on the brink of extinction and the.army responsible might be on its way Right Now, I started large scale fortification efforts. An indoor pasture for the livestock. Dedicated craftspace for a smithy, even though I normally don't bother for a year or so while I establish other industry. A wood stockpile several hundred logs large, in case I have to seal myself in my hole for an extended time...

And then, it came. The megabeast warning comes up announcing the arrival of the dreaded were...gecko. Who munched a horse and a baby llama before reverting to human form and quickly vanishing from the map.     

I begin getting swarms of highly skilled dwarves as migrants...another dire warning sign that something may be up. Next years caravan also had no liason.  But shortly after it left, we had the second great megabeast show up. A goblin. A friendly goblin. Who was sweating profusely. And buck naked. He wandered a bit and then got bored and left.

Next migrant wave had a high master hunter, who tore off into the wilderness and promptly got the bejesus scared out of him by a goose. Look, its a goose. You have a crossbow.  SHOOT IT. Meanwhile nobody seems to care about the three ALLIGATORS who waltzed in through the front door and settled into my well, at least until one got feisty and took a nip at a laborer. Unlike most dwarves in this situation, Urist McRambo pounced on the thing with abandon, and he apparently had awesome friends cause four others jumped in as well. They pummel the thing into unconsciousness but none of them can finish it off, so I conscript a dwarf into the militia to skewer it. Except the weapon stockpile is on the other side of Mr. Gator and he won't go near it.

By now the first five are in danger of dying from dehydration or exhaustion, so I draft no less than 50 dwarves into nakedwrestler squads to go strangle the poor thing. Turns out even 50 dwarves punching a gator in the head are no match for the strength of its hard noggin...until one of my miners, enroute to get a drink, wanders in, sees the gator, freaks out, and beheads it with one shot.

Where two megabeasts failed, one goddamn gator almost ended my fort.

I now have a standing militia, and cage traps to try and catch the other two. If they're as tough as that first one, I might have found a valuable biological toothy weapon against goblin invasion.

Oh...and the third caravan had a liason. False alarm!

...its been a weird fort.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37538 on: October 15, 2014, 10:50:03 pm »

The goblin was a just-transformed back were-whatever.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

nightdagger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37539 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:17 am »

And when I loaded the fort this evening it was immediately attacked by a bronze colossus. Rather than seal the drawbridge, I chose to send my dwarves out to glorious battle.

Rest well, dwarves of Guildedlances.

On a side note, I looked up what happened to the liason in legends. She was a goblin. Some random human buried her alive the year my fort settled. Sucks to be her.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37540 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:53 am »

Magma crab + Heavily forested = !FUN!
()==[:::::::::::::>

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37541 on: October 16, 2014, 07:28:20 am »

...Buried her, alive? Ow.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37542 on: October 16, 2014, 10:19:39 am »

In order to facilitate capturing and studying the denizens of the underground without any undue fatalities, I have undertaken what I call Project Diorite Storm. It shall employ the very earth as a weapon against the Fun Buddies living in the caverns, some of which are literally made of steel. Also they have a nasty habit of spitting globs of narcotic and/or spleen rotting agent...

Diorite Storm Block I is simply a number of free-floating 3x3x1 diorite chunks on collapsible supports, standing on the floor of small chambers connected to the cavern access tunnel. The idea is that when a FB catches a whiff of the pretty earthenware brick pillars, it will waltz right past the cage traps used for specimen extraction and go kick down the nearest pillar. At that time, a Wily E. Coyote moment occurs, as the full z-level of a diorite square, "floor", "wall", "ceiling" and all, is now supported by nothing but thin air, realizes gravity is an actual thing, and comes crashing down on the beastie. Splat.

Diorite Storm Block II ... N takes leaf from the Metal Storm weapon concept using stacked ammunition: It's four towers of similar hunks of rock as the Block I, each tethered to the bottom of the next one with a pillar. After the engineers re-arm the weapon by connecting its firing lever to the next pillar up, it's once again ready to squash stuff. As an afterthought, I added bridges around the unspent ammunition blocks to prevent anything Fun from flying up the gun barrel and freaking out and/or horribly slaughtering the loading crew.  Hitting things with it will require luring the victim into the impact area with some kind of bait, though...  ???
Hey, we have a bunch of spare kittens (Tame) and some cheap no-quality ropes, don't we?   ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:22:16 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37543 on: October 16, 2014, 01:21:44 pm »

It seems that the only realistic way to keep fire snakes in check is cats. I had pastured and caged all cats so i could harvest the creepy crawlers and catch some cave spiders, but for the snakes, i had to let them back out. A snake'd "burn out" of a wooden trap (without harming the trap) or melt a metal trap into a puddle in a few turns, no way to process them into liquid fire (if that works at all) and of course the trappers tried catching them over and over. Cats easily pounced on the snakes and killed them without getting harmed. I wasn't going to invest all my adamantine in animal traps.

There seems to be a low-effect citizen training scheme now - put an active barracks in a place regularly frequented by your populace. Lower-skilled sparring military tends to "miss" when charging and bounces into nearby civilians (or farm animals), granting minor dodge/wrestle experience, but more importantly, passing through an ongoing sparring match appears to give observer experience now. I have no idea how useful that's going to be, but i guess i'll put a sparring zone into a meeting area and see how high they can go.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37544 on: October 16, 2014, 03:34:33 pm »

My werelizard dwarf escaped from its prison that i put it in due to a hole that i made so when the dwarf was in its normal form, it could dump anything i gave it from before like dwarf bodies that were given to it as a sacrifice. No fun yet and rushing to ensure he gets back in there.
Pages: 1 ... 2501 2502 [2503] 2504 2505 ... 3842