Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2383 2384 [2385] 2386 2387 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098784 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35760 on: July 15, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »

goblin ambush, two dorfs lost in the action, one of them a marksdwarf, its only time before a fylly fledged siege comes, the fortress is starting to fill with cavern moss and fungi but will take a time before being able to move the grazing animals to the underground.

hospital built but is lacking several stuff, mining tetrahedrite around the caverns, but need more wood in order to produce the fuel for melting it. new rooms have been dug for the population and more are planned. winter has come and soon the fort will be 3 years old.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35761 on: July 15, 2014, 03:03:16 pm »

Apparently, it's impossible to stay aboveground in the new version in a savage biome. The peasants end up getting scared up into a tree, then jump off the tree and kill themselves. WTF.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #35762 on: July 15, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »

Reclaimed worldgen fortress with a roc in it and lost only 2 dwarves. I got help from some drunks who were camping in the fort doing nothing. There was also invasion when the season first changed but the invaders left immediately. Mayby they thought that attacking so soon would have been cruel and they had change of heart. Also, merchants complained about inaccessible ground even if it is perfectly even and there are no boulders or trees AND they can bring their carts to the depot with no problem. Mind boggles.

Hopefully no major bugs appear, this should be playable even if a bit weird.  :P
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35763 on: July 15, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »

the entrance of the fortress is being walled and 4 drawbdriges are planned, only for defense measures as pits cannot be built, but it should be able to repel terrestrial invaders, will have to think in putting a roof above as aditional measure in case of aerial invasion or build hatches on the main stairs.

relative peace for now, with the usual snatcher or verming annoying the countryside, but no large scale invasions are present for now.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35764 on: July 15, 2014, 03:15:37 pm »

Had a planter (I think, maybe farmer) claim a glass workshop.
Planter never got materials.
"Oh crap" said I, and walled him in, with a forbidden door for access later.
Waiting.
Waiting.
BERSERK!
Channeled a slot in the ceiling to use to shoot the planter, or drop things on it, or something.
Sent in the militia, ten crossbow dwarves.
The area explodes in violence, corpses, fighting, crossbows, etc.
wtf?
Spent a bit looking through records, it looks like the moment the first crossbow dwarf saw the berserker, or possibly when a miner saw him and panicked because he was scary, there was a loyalty cascade of some sort.
The violence was all over the fort, not spreading. The corpses seem to be in random spots. I don't think all combatants saw the berserker, but I'm not sure. They may have all been part of the militia.
The berserker itself got a single bolt to the head and died, I think.

Attached are a save not long before (I think, I hope) the failed mood caused berserk, and shortly after.
Before.
After.

I really hope that wasn't one of my super awesome ultimate miners. I'm afraid to check.

I feel like this could be made into a pretty good story.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:20:20 pm by Bobnova »
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35765 on: July 15, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »

Across the forest, a rumbling, churning sound can be heard. The first in years, breaking the silence of the woods and mountain. Giant kea flee from the advance of this strange pair of beasts drawn by four other beasts.

The first caravan of Frenzysilvers has arrived!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our hard times have ended, a liaison follows close behind. 3 years have passed, with only the seven starting dwarves present. The fort has been barely scraping by on the materials at hand, plump helmets and a few scrounged plants from what grew inside our walls making up our diet. With zombies and necromancers at our doorstep every single season, it has been a challenge to not go insane from staring at the low walls making up our line of defense. Migrants have been too afraid to risk the journey, and now we may finally have a chance at welcoming more citizens into our gates.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4 axedwarves train constantly, and have made a stunning improvement over the Years of Isolation. Each one was once weak, and now is a force to be reckoned with. They need more experience fighting actual enemies and not kea or kea people, or zombies for that matter.

Our meager supply of kea bone crafts, used clothing (some with the stench of rot still lingering) will have to suffice for now, for it is all we can offer for meat, cheese, fish, and drinks that we desperately need. Our armorsmith, Onul, is in discussions with the liaison in between hauling items to the depot for trading. We requested breeding pairs of turkeys, assorted plants we can't find ourselves, seeds for underground crops, and a few other optional items like iron, pig iron and steel to help boost our supply.

The three of us civilians with no military skills are wearing bronze armor, and have crossbows made from local wood. Our quivers are made from the hides of the giant kea that plague us, and the bolts inside our quivers are also made from the pesky kea menace. We have to be thankful for them, though. The kea have given us food, and the few blocks and items they have made off with are a small sacrifice to give them for keeping us alive long enough to see this caravan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35766 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:59 pm »

I traded with the humans.  They proceeded to hang around for a good three or four additional months.   Then the dwarf caravan arrived in late fall.  The humans tried to leave while the dwarves were arriving, resulting in what appeared to be a traffic jam.  The stand-off continued until winter arrived and three or four of the dwarf wagons appeared to spontaneously decontruct, dumping their contents on the ground. 

Is this normal or a bug?

This is a boon. Now you get all their stuff for free!

Just remember to use the mass reclaim function.
But yeah that's probably a bug.

Sooo, anybody got any advice for my situation?

Do you have a supply of barrels/pots and useable crop? If you do make sure your burrows aren't messing anything up. After that there's contradictory information on what solves the problem.

Pretty sure I have barrels/crops, otherwise it would have auto-canceled the brewing commands instead of ignoring them. No burrows are active whatsoever, as I only use one in this fort (the "get the fuck inside the fort while I close the drawbridge" burrow) and that one has the brewing station in it anyway.

I think this is the infamous brewing bug, but as I don't actually know what the brewing bug is, I can't be sure. Either way It Is Terrifying.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #35767 on: July 15, 2014, 04:00:37 pm »

I hate to bring it up, but you have someone with the brewing skill right? Without Therapist, it can be hard to tell.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35768 on: July 15, 2014, 04:25:05 pm »

I thought I had enough booze.  I thought that it would give me time to find the Aquifer and start pulling the water into the fortress for my elaborate waterfall lined entrances to my great hall, a secure well, and everything else.  Turns out, I was quite wrong, and by the middle of winter, I had dwarves falling over from dehydration.  So now I need to act fast, since my dwarves won't brew what I have, and the issue of having three miners to dig it all out... Hoo boy.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35769 on: July 15, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »

consecuently with the building of the walls and bridges a goblin invasion event came, fighting the last ones right now, have lost at least 3 of my militants and several civilians but the fortress will effectively keep going. killing these madafakas is taking a long time, but at least im getting close to securing the defenses for the next invasion (i hope)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35770 on: July 15, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

I hate to bring it up, but you have someone with the brewing skill right? Without Therapist, it can be hard to tell.

First thing I checked, I have two brewers, and made sure they had the skill enabled. Then I enabled it on other dwarves for good measure. Did nothing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35771 on: July 15, 2014, 04:46:48 pm »

My guess is barrels with plants in transit.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35772 on: July 15, 2014, 05:06:10 pm »

Had a planter (I think, maybe farmer) claim a glass workshop.
Planter never got materials.
"Oh crap" said I, and walled him in, with a forbidden door for access later.
Waiting.
Waiting.
BERSERK!
Channeled a slot in the ceiling to use to shoot the planter, or drop things on it, or something.
Sent in the militia, ten crossbow dwarves.
The area explodes in violence, corpses, fighting, crossbows, etc.
wtf?
Spent a bit looking through records, it looks like the moment the first crossbow dwarf saw the berserker, or possibly when a miner saw him and panicked because he was scary, there was a loyalty cascade of some sort.
The violence was all over the fort, not spreading. The corpses seem to be in random spots. I don't think all combatants saw the berserker, but I'm not sure. They may have all been part of the militia.
The berserker itself got a single bolt to the head and died, I think.

Attached are a save not long before (I think, I hope) the failed mood caused berserk, and shortly after.
Before.
After.

I really hope that wasn't one of my super awesome ultimate miners. I'm afraid to check.

I feel like this could be made into a pretty good story.

Here's a bug report I submitted with more info on this, if anyone else wants to play with it: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7349
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35773 on: July 15, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »

siege repelled, casualties number more than 10, next time i will be prepared with alerts, remaining spaces for marksdwarves filled again, fortress recovering, one of the carpenters was on a mood and entered a martial trance, had to dispose of him. producing coffins for the deceased and moving on with the prospection. the deeper parts of the fortress seem to have been covered completelly with cavern plants. hope to see some underground trees soon, need to move all the agriculture to the underground in order to secure it. and have to find a way to construct a watersource for the underground parts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35774 on: July 15, 2014, 05:32:25 pm »

LaboredJoy is currently under siege by a goblin.

One. Goblin.

EDIT: Who has now left, but there is now a serious problem as our brewers apparently have alzheimers or something and totally forgot to do any of the brewing I had on repeat  >:(
Is this the brewing bug I keep hearing about?

Anyway, building emergency stills in the cemetery because they don't seem to wanna touch the one in the food prep area, and that's the only place where the space is readily available at the moment.

EDIT2: AAAAND they're ignoring those ones too. Fuckberries. Anyone know of a way to fix this, at least for the moment? Or am I gonna have to retire this and hope they make the booze through worldgen?
People have had success with brewing after growing something brewable...  Also your still won't work if someone is carrying your brewables around in a barrel (obviously, I'm just saying)...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 2383 2384 [2385] 2386 2387 ... 3842