Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2384 2385 [2386] 2387 2388 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098348 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35775 on: July 15, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

the plans for covering the entrance with a roof are coming to fruitition, a ramp was built and the dorfs are starting to build the floor in the upper part of the walls. with this the fortress is practically impenetrable, the drawbridges are functional too. so the bunker is almost finished

some giant mushrooms have started to appear inside the fortress, the next step is to create an artificial cavern for housing a tree farm, a water source and the grazing stock

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35776 on: July 15, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »

goblin ambush, two dorfs lost in the action, one of them a marksdwarf, its only time before a fylly fledged siege comes,

hospital built but is lacking several stuff

So your reaction to an incoming seige ... is to build a hospital that is ineffective?
Seems dwarfy !

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35777 on: July 15, 2014, 06:28:57 pm »

Three of my dwarves are on break. My fort consists of about 12 dwarves.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35778 on: July 15, 2014, 06:30:49 pm »

naaa that was something i had doing for a time, got too much time wasted acommodating the ever growing population and the dinning room. the defenses are set in time for the real siege. i have bowmans, trolls and other horror swarming at the countryside with a few casualties, mostly the idiots that were too far from the fortress in order to secure inside.

the rest of the population is safe inside the fortress and with a source of eggs and plants from the underground agriculture it should survive until the siege stops or until i run out of food and they start to die. there's also an elven caravan trapped in the fortress due to the defensive measures.

fucking goblins come always when im in the middle of my construction works

EDIT: the siege hasnt stopped, the elven caravan has started to go, but i cant open the gates due to the danger, they remain inside, but after some time they seems to have gone depressed, and two of them entered in berserk state, security is taking care of them, but im worried this will put me in a bad situation with the elves.

EDIT2: the siege ended, the fort survived, the dorfs are busy taking out the rotten stuff and burying their comrades, and taking out the corpses of the enraged elves, there's still one merchan here, it seems it has gotten into a deep trauma or something, if she doesnt goes away then i'll have to kill her directly. this is annoying.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:45:12 pm by xaritscin »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35779 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:28 pm »

A forgotten beast made of ash showed up in the first cavern, another small "siege" of undead attacked and was dispatched by the now-legendary skilled militia, work has begun on an enclosed area for surface crops, migrants arrived and have bolstered our numbers to 18.

Most of the fresh meat keeps getting struck by terror when the kea or kea people attack, and are brutally hacked and punched to death by the military. They better get used to it. Better than the one idiot who cowered in fear from a kea woman head in the main tunnels leading to the farm for a few days.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35780 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:34 pm »

New fort. Haunted surroundings. I noticed a pair of mangled giant thrip corpses, so there are giant thrips. And there's something out there that can mangle two giant thrips. I can't find it, so I assume it's gone.

Also there are giant bright red clouds of fuckitude that float across the land. This is why I got down into the caverns as fast as I could.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35781 on: July 15, 2014, 10:04:26 pm »

most of the dead dwarves were buried already along with the pets, but it seems there are still some bodies left, that or i have lost another one, which seems to be the most logical, a new goblin siege has started, this time it seems i got to put all the dorfs in, i have also built my trade depot in the outside, dont want to repeat the same issue with the elves, im still gathering the stuff left by the caravan, for now the main concern is to keep the dorfs alive inside the fortress until this siege ends, im still trying to find a way to channel water into the underground, dont want to rely in the caverns for that, dont have the military to deal with cavern dwellers nor i have it to deal with a goblin army. for now the dorfs are fine living with booze only. but the rotten food and the miasma will soon catch up i guess.

EDIT: looks like the fort has enough booze and food to keep the dorfs alive for several years, taking advantage of the plethora of underground flora that has made home in the halls i start to gather more plants just in case, and start to carve an artificial cavern for the future space of grazing animals, watersources and fungiwood farms. i've also expanded the prospection in search of tetrahedrite, with good results.

EDIT2: the artificial cave is practically finished i'll expand it a bit more later, the main focus now is in carving an artificial pond, as i have found an acuifer, based from the several ponds around the fortress, the idea is to channel the water from one hole and let the underground lake to fill itself, the water will always be clean as the ponds are connected with the river. this should finish the water problem, and i dont expect any nasty critter to come through it

EDIT3: there was no acuifer but i just perforated the floor of the pond, the water is being drained directly to the underground lake via a small waterfall and its filling really quick. also, a dorf was possesed, i hope it doesnt get a bad end
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:27:49 pm by xaritscin »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35782 on: July 16, 2014, 12:09:30 am »

My starting military commander goes into a fey mood and demands silk.   I do not have silk, so I decide to postpone my already behind scheduel defenses and order the miners to dig down looking for the caverns so I can get some silk.

Literally seconds after I unpause a werechinchilla appears out of ambush and kills both miners on their way out of the fortifications.  I worry that it will go after the rest of my fortress next since the fey mood militia commander is now my only armed resident, but fortunately it turns into a human and runs away.  Others pick up the picks, but dig too slowly and don't find the cavern in time.

This is the 3rd fortress IN A ROW that my starting teacher died to circumstance before the first winter.  1st one died defending the fortress from an autumn year 1 siege, 2nd died to a werebear, (followed by a siege) and now this one was indirectly killed by a werechinchilla.   I'm starting to think Toady secretly had a bad experience as a math professor and programmed the game to murder everyone with teacher skill.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35783 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:36 am »

making that underground lake was a mistake and i abandoned the fortress as soon as i saw it was starting to overload and fill the cavern with water.

the new embark will not hopefully suffer the same issue as im gonna make it above ground with what i learned from building the roof. right now is in a marsh but there's no acuifer present, clay is present, althought no flux but that's not really a problem. supposedly. wood is the main issue, but there seems to be plenty of it here. there's also a brook so no problems with lack of water or fish.

EDIT: i have got lucky when setting minerals to everywhere, as i found a layer of gabbro with several goodies in the 4th layer, i have started the construction of the first houses and workshops. with luck i will have a working colony this time
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:34:28 am by xaritscin »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35784 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:01 am »

First megabeast attack of the new version! A dragon came in from the western edge of the map in the third year, and promptly set fire to the forest. It scorched just about the entire map except for my aboveground entrance, which was protected by a water filled moat. It came into the outer perimeter to kill a watchdog, then just kinda chilled out outside the gate to the depot area. I assembled my militia and lowered the gates, fully expecting them to block the dragonfire with their shields like the last version. Not so.

As soon as the gate lowered, the dragon set the unfortunates in the front on fire while the rest promptly broke and ran. Of course it chased them, spewing fire and generally wreaking havoc. I had to shut the reserve gate on what was left of the broken militia to keep the dragon from getting into the fort where I had no way to stop it. Not long later the caravan arrived, and one of the guards stabbed it in the head, killing it instantly  ::)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35785 on: July 16, 2014, 01:22:13 am »

First megabeast attack of the new version! A dragon came in from the western edge of the map in the third year, and promptly set fire to the forest. It scorched just about the entire map except for my aboveground entrance, which was protected by a water filled moat. It came into the outer perimeter to kill a watchdog, then just kinda chilled out outside the gate to the depot area. I assembled my militia and lowered the gates, fully expecting them to block the dragonfire with their shields like the last version. Not so.

As soon as the gate lowered, the dragon set the unfortunates in the front on fire while the rest promptly broke and ran. Of course it chased them, spewing fire and generally wreaking havoc. I had to shut the reserve gate on what was left of the broken militia to keep the dragon from getting into the fort where I had no way to stop it. Not long later the caravan arrived, and one of the guards stabbed it in the head, killing it instantly  ::)

thats kinda disappointing usualy losing is fun but losing because something dosent really work properly anymore espicaly when the way you engaged was so imersive and inpresive
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #35786 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:45 am »

I made a world only to check legends. In it I found a dwarf civ called "The Axe of Metal"
Despite its badass name it lasted less than 200 years (the world is 550 years old) due to constant attacks from goblins and elves (and the fact that the game doesnt consider military defense and all invasions are always successful)

Now im going to reclaim their main fort and The Axe of Metal shall swing again!!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35787 on: July 16, 2014, 07:51:54 am »

I made a world only to check legends. In it I found a dwarf civ called "The Axe of Metal"
Despite its badass name it lasted less than 200 years (the world is 550 years old) due to constant attacks from goblins and elves (and the fact that the game doesnt consider military defense and all invasions are always successful)

Now im going to reclaim their main fort and The Axe of Metal shall swing again!!

lml

now on topic:

the colony is going well, the stone obtained from the mine is bein used to construct houses, the mine serves also as a warehouse and im starting to put stockpiles on it, wood is being gathered in large quantities in order to make the defenses.

EDIT: the damned place froze in the winter, my dwarves cannot find water here, abandoned and started to find a good worldgen, after some testing founded a warm shrubland this should do the trick.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:31:31 am by xaritscin »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35788 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:26 am »

See the one I highlighted. Best baron ever.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35789 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:17 am »

works on the wall are coming as expected, agriculture is being done and there's plenty of food to cover the evergrowing population, homes are being constructed with the stone mined for the warehouse, all the wood is being redirected for the walls but will later be replaced with stone, the palizade should keep enemies at bay most of the time and with a well built in the center of the city i wont have any problems with the dorfs.

Pages: 1 ... 2384 2385 [2386] 2387 2388 ... 3842