Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2381 2382 [2383] 2384 2385 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098810 times)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35730 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:08 pm »

I've got a grizzly bear scared of a dwarf that chopped a tree down that it was on a few moments a go. 
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35731 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »

FPS still an issue but tolerable, the flooded galeries are reaching 7/7 depth, y hope this ends with the cut in frames soon. the fort is still thriving, manufacturing bone armor and crossbows for the next step, no metals found yet. so will have to rely in good archers.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #35732 on: July 14, 2014, 11:02:42 pm »

Should I test whether or not deconstructing the depot still steals everything from the caravan?
It does, in fact. One of my tantrumming dwarves smashed it and the elves ran away.

The tantrum was caused by a goblin siege in the second year (!), and I hadn't build a drawbridge or trained a military, so everyone who was outside the dining hall (with doors that I could lock, thankfully) was brutally slaughtered. The 14 survivors are now picking up the corpse chunks and cleaning blood off the walls.
The new combat mechanics are fantastic this version. Before the goblins came, I had four fatalities from woodcutters being crushed by logs. Watching upper bodies explode into gore from falling branches is beautiful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #35733 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:04 pm »

I scared off my first caravan by accidentally angering them by asking to high of a price. While they were leaving, one of them saw two dead dwarven bodies under the drawbridge(a horrible accident involving a river otter and trying to build a wall over water) he dropped 3-4 anvils and a bunch of iron and steel weapons, then bailed along with his comrades who didn't notice. Also, while outfitting my troops, I forgot to give one pants and boots(due to being out of stock) and she punched a legendary miner unconscious, and then everyone else in the fort(about 20ish people) ran to tell the sleeping sheriff. He ignored them, and then the boxed a turkey to death, and got off free.

I also learned river otters are suicidal, and will wander into the small ponds that freeze around wintertime to die, and eagles explode upon hitting my fort's walls.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35734 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:29 pm »

Should I test whether or not deconstructing the depot still steals everything from the caravan?
It does, in fact. One of my tantrumming dwarves smashed it and the elves ran away.

The tantrum was caused by a goblin siege in the second year (!), and I hadn't build a drawbridge or trained a military, so everyone who was outside the dining hall (with doors that I could lock, thankfully) was brutally slaughtered. The 14 survivors are now picking up the corpse chunks and cleaning blood off the walls.
The new combat mechanics are fantastic this version. Before the goblins came, I had four fatalities from woodcutters being crushed by logs. Watching upper bodies explode into gore from falling branches is beautiful.

You should have left those bodies outside your entrance to stall invaders. Big babies see one or two mutilated corpses and they stop dead in their tracks.

Has ANYBODY successfully trained (NOT tamed) an animal? I always get "No Creature" cancellation spam
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:13:28 pm by Broseph Stalin »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35735 on: July 14, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »

Has ANYBODY successfully trained (NOT tamed) an animal? I always get "No Creature" cancellation spam

Haven't tried training yet. Taming worked okay while they were in cages. Someone who's more experienced with mantis should go report this.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35736 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:13 pm »

Haven't tried training yet. Taming worked okay while they were in cages. Someone who's more experienced with mantis should go report this.
It has been reported like five times. Please do not make another one.

This public service announcement brought to you by 4maskwolf.

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35737 on: July 14, 2014, 11:40:04 pm »

so i was at my masterwork fortress..
and made the mistake of summoning a adamantine colossus,you probably know how fast and invulnerable that thing was.
it crushed my military ,it literally just broke all the bones of one of my most powerfull forgotten beasts and also destroyed my guardian of armok.
its pretty much a freaking physical god.
with enormous power,invulnerable,immortal and uncaring,so my fort is down to several pathetic recruits that are hiding in some abandoned corner surviving off the unfinished pasture and fishing along the canal and a walled vampire.

never have an adamantine statue in masterwork,by accident you may create something that is pretty much invulnerable

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35738 on: July 14, 2014, 11:54:38 pm »

Outpost Slygold, 201, 15th Granite - 1st Hematite; 7 6 dwarves

Ok detailed blarghing out of my system, expect more in a few in-fort years

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35739 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:18 am »

Werewarthog showed up and was promptly dealt with. Unfortunately the unsuspecting farmer who decided he really, really wanted to ignore all the delicious booze and go for a drink at the river right that very second was bitten (annnd I realized I had forgotten to set Burrows again. Whoops.) He was drug back to the hospital and treated as best as the ol' Doc could with no soap. Of course he decided to turn into a Werewarthog himself as soon as the trading caravan from home showed up. I ordered everyone to lock the hospital doors and nobody to break a bone for a few seconds. The traders successfully traded, and the werewarthog turned back into a nice farmer (who was actually ecstatic at the care given to him so far). So since he's an honest to goodness werecreature I made a squad just for him and dug out a nice little barracks and training room at the bottom of my moat/death trap. If anyone else gets bitten they can join the weresquad. It's not for drowning weres, it's off to the side, so anyone who attacks the fortress and falls in, plummets a few levels. Then the mayor (or whomever) pulls the lever to flood the holding cell. Then if they are still alive, apparently the guardweres will tear them to pieces. Then another set of levers is pulled, and the whole thing flushes down a waterfall and resets airlock style. Of course this is all theoretically since I can't seem to get the werefarmer out of the hospital.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:19:19 am by AernJardos »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35740 on: July 15, 2014, 05:34:22 am »

Bwahahaha! I did some mods on 34.11, including making everybody playable, and genned a world for testing. I now have a human civilization named "The Cheerful Realm of Beers".

I guess I'll play gobbos second...

EDIT: Unfortunately, I didn't set any extra nobles when I made all 4 civs playable, so playing as human or gobbo is going to get really sucky in about year 2 :( On the other hand, gobbos are either the worst or the best: no plants OR BOOZE whatsoever (otoh, they don't eat or drink either; may remove that), a lovely selection of weapons, and no animals save trolls, each costing 1p; I presume that's an error.

EDIT2: In world #3, only elves and goblins survived. Embarked as goblins, because F elves; was also granted access to ogres in the embark screen. I also discovered that I can't train any ogres or trolls - they aren't displayed in the 'z' menu even if they're all tame and can be seen via 'v'. Time to add pet tags. Oh, and trolls & ogres are fully clothed with large clothes, which I don't think I can make; best remove that, too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:26:45 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35741 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:59 am »

Watching my marksdwarf shoot an elven bandit out of a tree, then beat him to death after he broke his legs from the fall.

...man, this game has really made me a psychopath.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35742 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:50 am »

LaboredJoy is currently under siege by a goblin.

One. Goblin.

EDIT: Who has now left, but there is now a serious problem as our brewers apparently have alzheimers or something and totally forgot to do any of the brewing I had on repeat  >:(
Is this the brewing bug I keep hearing about?

Anyway, building emergency stills in the cemetery because they don't seem to wanna touch the one in the food prep area, and that's the only place where the space is readily available at the moment.

EDIT2: AAAAND they're ignoring those ones too. Fuckberries. Anyone know of a way to fix this, at least for the moment? Or am I gonna have to retire this and hope they make the booze through worldgen?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:10:16 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35743 on: July 15, 2014, 08:41:41 am »

I decided to try a fort in DF2014. Like my previous forts, I like having a good chunk of dragons on the map so I set out once again to a Smaller-sized region world with 60 megabeast caves (cf. 120 in DF2012).

And after a few years of worldgen, I think I've killed off every single civ in the world. 1050 years done in a few seconds.

GO DRAGONS  :o
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35744 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:30 am »

I decided to try a fort in DF2014. Like my previous forts, I like having a good chunk of dragons on the map so I set out once again to a Smaller-sized region world with 60 megabeast caves (cf. 120 in DF2012).

And after a few years of worldgen, I think I've killed off every single civ in the world. 1050 years done in a few seconds.

GO DRAGONS  :o

YYYYYUP

You need to crank up the initial civ number to have lots of dragons and surviving civs. I learned that the hard way. (I also learned that µ is a ruin.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2381 2382 [2383] 2384 2385 ... 3842