Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121427 times)

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20730 on: March 16, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »

Got a new fort running.   I'm building an undersea fortress.   I cast obsidian into the ocean to wall off the necessary area, pumped it out, and built a dome in there out of clear glass windows (walls) and blocks (ceiling).   Right now I've got the outer walls and ceiling done, I just need to finish the interior (trickier than it has to be because I want to make it pretty rather than just functional).   Then I'm going to cut out the obsidian walls and flood it, and live in my happy little pineapple under the sea.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20731 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:28 pm »

We had a Roc come to visit.  I sent out my squad to take it down.  It's times like these I am grateful for my marksdwarves.  They shot the Roc's wings to ribbons, causing it to crash.  One death and a few injuries. For some reason, my Commander is described as "pale".

YOU HAVE A VAMPIRE.
Or he was stabbed one too many times in the gut.

I was playing around with DFHack's workflow.
Just noticed i forgot to put a limit on doors.
Now what  do i do with these 100 doors in my stockpile? :D
Bedrooms. I never have enough doors when I need to make my bedrooms. 

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20732 on: March 16, 2012, 03:11:17 pm »

How can you tell who your "neighbors" are before embark?
Press tab a few times (twice?) while looking at the embark.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20733 on: March 16, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »

I've done something I never wanted to do.

Last spring,when the Elves came we were attacked by goblins. The caravan was wiped out except for two elves who left instead of trading.

They came round again.This time I fended off the goblins. Trade was commenced, we traded a few rounds but Iwas waiting for the bulk of my stuff to arrive.

I wanted to buy the giant animals and the sloth bear they brought. I checked everything for sale.

A rude bauble. Damnit. Dang and bloody blast it.

I seized the interesting/useful stuff, much to my shame.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20734 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »

This isn't mine, but it's worth a read and fitting for this thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20735 on: March 16, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »

This isn't mine, but it's worth a read and fitting for this thread.

Iron Man! Adamantine Woman!

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20736 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »

Trying to make a reservoir. Need an explanation on how screw pumps work.
Can you make it so levers dictate when they're on?
Do you NEED a channel down for them?
Do floodgates default to on position when built?

Or does river water not need to be screwpumped for cleanliness?

1) Check out the wiki on screw pumps for in-depth explanation.
2) You can control pumps with levers by attaching the lever to a gear supplying power to the pump.  The lever will toggle the engaged status of the gear-- when it's disengaged, no power will be transmitted through the gear, and if you've designed correctly, your pump will lose power and stop pumping.
3) Basically, yeah, you need a channel.  They pump from a lower level to the level they are on, so there needs to be a lower level for them to pump from.
4) Floodgates default to closed position when they are built.  When they receive an 'open' signal, they open.  In typical usage, 'open' = 'on'.
5) River water doesn't need to be pumped to remove contaminants, because it isn't (by default) contaminated.  However, it contaminates quickly.  Your dwarves will still be unhappy drinking from a river unless a well is built on top of it; I think you'll need to channel a square to build a well on a brook.

Hope this answers your questions.  In the future, probably the best place to get answers to questions like this is in this questions+answers thread.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20737 on: March 16, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »

An evil cloud just turned some elk into "Infernal Ash Elk Zombie". Are those the same as husks or are they regular zombies. They are fighting each other, apparently and their organs seem to be working (at least when it comes to getting wounds in them). my entrance is now also covered in evil ash. Will need to decontaminate somehow.

EDIT: now an elk had all it's teeth kocked out in an explosion-like burst.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20738 on: March 16, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »

Usnos the gigantic fire-breathing eagle came swooping in my first cavern, broke down the mangled door of Ngopex the forgotten beasts' tomb, broke down another door and got the ever-loving crap beat out of it. Lots of blood, no dwarven casualties. The fire looked impressive but they all brought shields. :P

edit: awesome, my Militia Commander who finished it off named his axe. Fikodlecad Roth Alnis, Glazeclean the Domain of War. It has 14 notable (and koboldical) kills and 24 other, having first belonged to my original baron who died a hero against a different beast.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:12:11 pm by AWdeV »
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20739 on: March 16, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

So we now have our second legendary stonecrafter, at least once she reaches maturity.  (The first reached legendary the hard way, though he had immigrated at great.)  Oddly, her status screen lists her age as thirteen; I thought dwarves matured at twelve?

Looks like a minor bug; she reached maturity on her birthday a month and a half later, and is still listed as thirteen.

Meanwhile, Razorpacked just had another migration wave of fifteen, almost half children.  Three of them are both great growers and talented comedians; coincidence?

Nish Ustethetost has created a masterpiece!  Not the usual name for that particular message, so I investigate.  Master trapper, adequate dyer, novice tanner; what could he have created?  Find him at the carpenter's shop, where he's interrupted the new beds in order to make a couple of animal traps.  My first ever, which is why I didn't realize they had quality.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Kinezin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.byond.com/
« Reply #20740 on: March 16, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »

Well, for some odd reason my Butcher decided to have a strange mood, just when he was about to slaughter a Horse Foal, so he dragged the Horse Foal with him and claimed that Craftsdwarfs Workshop and grabbed all the materials he needed, all while still holding onto the Horse Foal.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20741 on: March 16, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »

So he dragged the Horse Foal with him and claimed that Craftsdwarfs Workshop and grabbed all the materials he needed, all while still holding onto the Horse Foal.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20742 on: March 16, 2012, 08:25:42 pm »

It seems my home civ is made up of almost nothing but grizzled combat veterans.  Just about every migrant so far migrated in with competent combat skills and already had kills to their name, primarily orcs and trolls.

...I'm okay with this.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20743 on: March 16, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »

It seems my home civ is made up of almost nothing but grizzled combat veterans.  Just about every migrant so far migrated in with competent combat skills and already had kills to their name, primarily orcs and trolls.

...I'm okay with this.

My coastal fort is populated by animalmen/elf slaughterers.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20744 on: March 16, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »

Now that's something odd.
My fortress is on its last breath, after a devastating tantrum spiral (those things kills many much more dwarves than goblins and undead) the fortress population reached 12 (down from its peak that was 120)

And it looks like now the tantrum spiral is finished, as the remaining dwarves seems to have all cool down (Dwarf Therapist does not have them in red anymore for their mood).

So i thought there could be a chance to stand up from that blood filled hole the fortress became and save the fortress.

But then i noticed on Dwarf Therapist that it listed 78 dwarves ?
Hmm, strange, then suddenly i noticed a message of an interrupt by some "left arm" ?
Undead , could it be a silent invasion (as every undead sieges have been destroyed) without the bunch of merchant outdoor noticing ?

Looked at the "Other" listing, and saw a huge amount of undead listed.
What ? Where ? How ? DF didn't announced a new invasion, what's going on ?

Searching i suddenly saw on my big internal refuse stockpiles that were full of enemy bones and skeletons (as great source of bone crafting)

There are a lot of undead in my refuse stockpile ? what !
Looking at the combat report screen confirmed that they are all coming from my gigantic amount of bones stock

How is it even possible, in the "Other" list, there is not a single necromancer anywhere on that map, and the area i embarked had no "dead are rising" zone", this fort has been resisting for 3 full years (the undead invasions were coming from a tower that is at some distance from my map) and never once a corpse has risen without a necromancer near, as it's not a haunted or terrifying zone.
And if it was, in 3 years of undead bashing, at least one would have been standing up again don't you think.

I'm really puzzled, as i can't see how this is happening.
Is it possible a map become branded "Haunted" or "Terrifying" suddenly during gameplay despite it wasn't before ?

Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 3842