Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1374 1375 [1376] 1377 1378 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121484 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20625 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:14 pm »

180 dwarves... and not one of them has the diagnosis skill.

Will a non-diagnosis skill peasant learn the skill over time if appointed as the chief medical dwarf?

You don't even need a CMD, just turn on Diagnosis in the labors list. On the other hand, rumor was you NEEDED to turn on Diagnosis in your CMD or she won't work.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20626 on: March 14, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »

Yup, but broken toes may occasionaly result in amputated arms in the begin.
Has this been observed? I frequently use unskilled diagnosticians, suturers, bone doctors, surgeons and other things that should probably require some prerequisite training and I've never noticed any ill effects. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20627 on: March 14, 2012, 03:51:20 pm »

Yup, but broken toes may occasionaly result in amputated arms in the begin.
Has this been observed? I frequently use unskilled diagnosticians, suturers, bone doctors, surgeons and other things that should probably require some prerequisite training and I've never noticed any ill effects.

I think slow death by infection due to poor sewing skills is an ill effect.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20628 on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »

Dang and bloody blast it! I edited my raws hoping to be able to feed Elephants but the bastards are starving! Damn damn damn!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20629 on: March 14, 2012, 04:51:20 pm »

Restarted my fort, now I know some more stuff. I'm already at about the same point, but this fort is flowing about five times better. Also, three miners... one of which was a Legendary Immigrant, with the 3rd being a highly skilled immigrant too.

Weirdly enough, in my recent wave of immigrants, a Leatherworker entered the map... and INSTANTLY was stricken by melancholy. The thing is, he's not seeking to end his life. Or confineing himself to his room [Although since he went mad before having a room that might explain it], he's just moping around the new dining room on break constantly.

Aside from that, about the most interesting thing is a Mudstone Artifact amulet showing Dwarfs labouring, and it relates to the foundation of 'Lensspeakers' in 85. Bearing in mind I'm in the mid 550's. That said, it was possession.

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20630 on: March 14, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »

After a MASSIVE tantrum spiral, 2 ambushes, a siege (in progress) and a FB attack I have 2 half insane dwarves left alive, time to go kamikaze!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20631 on: March 14, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »

I just found out what the unholy gloom does, and now I've got two giant sparrow husks flying around my surface.  Oh boy.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20632 on: March 14, 2012, 05:18:39 pm »

Harsh.

So. My elephants were starving. Dwarven caravan was here. Being a sentimental old sod, I decided to ship them off to the mountainhomes intact instead of turning them into huge piles of gore and giblets.

Alright. Place a cage. Assign elephants.

Watch a single dwarf track them all down, drag them to the cage and stuff them in.

Caravan is about to leave. Oh no you won't.

Deconstruct cage.

Forbid before it gets dragged off to the stockpile.

Unforbid, give order to haul the cage to depot.

Call for trader.

Woodcrafter comes rushing up, grabs the cage, heaves it onto his back and plods towards the depot. A few steps before he arrives he is overtaken by a pump operator who came to trade at depot.

Elephants arrived, caravan not yet gone, trader there. Excellent.

Allowed weight 4381.
Elephant cage (mahogany) weighs 35424089.

Fuuuuu.

So now I have over 500 meat again. And this after selling the lion's share of my meatpiles beforehand.

Elephant meat and organs: over 700. Everything with a x 10 modifier too. Not bad, if a bit much. I'll make some elves happy I guess.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:22:27 pm by AWdeV »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20633 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:57 pm »

begun a new fortress on the edge of a nice inland freshwater lake.

Struck garnierite, gold, tetrahedrite and got an interesting thing: A badass fishery worker.

He has killed 55 elvish infantrymen, 7 warbears, and killed an appearently important elf by the name of Liceyi Springfangs, and five wolves, which he has trophies of thier teeth.

He is a competant sowrdsdwarf, and as such he has been given a gladius, and will now be serving under my army commander.

Of 5 migrants, i got him, a pikedwarf, marksdwarf, macedwarf, and  hammerdwarf. Best migrant wave I've ever had. ever.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20634 on: March 14, 2012, 05:45:49 pm »

My fort is being attacked by Gray Langurs. They messed up a woodcutter and are now harassing a dwarven child, who is giving the best she has. My militia need to mobilise a bit faster though.

My first Corrosion mod fortress lost its only appraiser to gray langurs.  The hunters were barely denting them, though a pair of dogs took out several.
The other six founders, along with a pair of migrants, died to a dozen Infected right before plugging the last hole in the wall.

Meanwhile, Razorpacked has had its first artifact, made by a child.  Since I had all children burrowed to the bedrooms and dining area, she cleared out about two dozen stones before I decided that I didn't want too much wealth before my defenses are fully ready.  Then I had to butcher a cow for her.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So we now have our second legendary stonecrafter, at least once she reaches maturity.  (The first reached legendary the hard way, though he had immigrated at great.)  Oddly, her status screen lists her age as thirteen; I thought dwarves matured at twelve?
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20635 on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:08 pm »

That's a pretty neat figurine. Langurs haven't really been any problem anymore, they just charge right into traps/dogs.

Anyway.

The Forgotten Beast Ngopex has come. A giant skinless Pterosaur. It has two long hanging tails and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly blood.

I was getting all shit-scared but sent my militias anyway.

It got a bolt to the guts and a silver bolt to the head and dropped dead. Nice.

Ofcourse, knowing the state of dwarvendom I forbade the corpse and the bolt that got bloody and am busy entombing the corpse now. I am bewaring its deadly blood.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20636 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:52 pm »

I embarked in glacier.

Did not bring any wood.

De constructed wagon.

Used wood for crap.

Dropped sand layers into aquifer.

Did not have any wood left to make a wood floor bridge to the fallen sand to the way through the aquifer.

ABANDON FORT.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
« Reply #20637 on: March 14, 2012, 06:27:09 pm »

We're on our third siege in one year at Daggerbite.

The merchants are fleeing towards the safety of our walls. Two of the merchants bodyguard dwarfs turn to fight. One goes down after a bloody struggle - the other (Shorast) carries on chopping.

At one stage Shorast is stabbed in the foot with a scimitar. He rewards his attacker by hacking into his goblinoid hand, blood no doubt spraying everywhere.

The merchants have been run down, dwarves and yak mules slain as they ran, but Shorast still prevails!
Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20638 on: March 14, 2012, 07:50:01 pm »

Think my mason glitched. He isn't moving at all.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20639 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »

In an attempt to level the playing field (channeling the entire side of my river), I get attacked by a necromancer in disguise, have a massive influx of migrants (one of whom is most definitely a vampire) and one of my miners is killed by a cave-in.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 1374 1375 [1376] 1377 1378 ... 3842