Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1375 1376 [1377] 1378 1379 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121463 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20640 on: March 14, 2012, 08:01:49 pm »

Time for a titanic battle, with the arrival of a Titan

But the fortress was ready, 2 full squads of very good fighters and one full squad of good marksdwarves.
The marskdwarves, climbing on the roof of the building hiding the entrance to my underground fortress started to shoot and hit the Titan with their iron bolts.

Then the monster decided to fly and land on the roof to battle my army there, but fortunately i could pull the marksdwarves a bit back while my close combat dwarves were hacking, stabbing, crushing the beast, allowing my crossbow bearers to continue the rain of iron bolt.

31 pages of battles in which the unfortunate Titan never managed to land a hit, and he was transformed in a pin cushion by my accurate marksdwarves, while being destroyed in close combat by all my fighters.

But i noticed that some dwarves were completely berzerk during the fight, trying to eat the Titan

Now these are some really angry dwarves, i had a big smile at imagining the battle with some of my dwarves jumping on the gigantic beast and trying to bite it to death.
Wonder if the monster last thoughts would have been something lile "but i was the one supposed to try to eat you !"

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20641 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:52 pm »

My dwarves know how to honor the memory of their fallen enemies :

:D

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20642 on: March 14, 2012, 11:00:03 pm »

The Badger Boar scratches the Mechanic in the upper left back tooth, and the severed part flies off in an arc!

Yessiree, Badger Dentistry.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20643 on: March 15, 2012, 04:08:28 am »

The Badger Boar scratches the Mechanic in the upper left back tooth, and the severed part flies off in an arc!

Yessiree, Badger Dentistry.
50 gold pieces for the service, NEXT ONE!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20644 on: March 15, 2012, 05:05:13 am »

Putting a dent in the dog population, eating puppies (not dogs, but PUPPIES!).
They're an excellent source of leather.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20645 on: March 15, 2012, 05:32:48 am »

There are a couple of chained up unhappy vampires laying around, I think some other people are unhappy, I have a huge room full of food and other junk, and I'm going to make a waterfall that will probably flood everything. Hurray!
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20646 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:16 am »

Now these are some really angry dwarves, i had a big smile at imagining the battle with some of my dwarves jumping on the gigantic beast and trying to bite it to death.
"Bite me!", said the Titan to the Axedwarf.
The Axedwarf, being Dwarf, happily obliged.
:P

Hope the titan's noxious secretions don't come from the head...
(BtW, I wonder what will happen if a dwarf bites a titan or FB with poisonous blood?)

My dwarves know how to honor the memory of their fallen enemies :
Oh wow. I've had rattlesnake soap and thought it was pretty boss, but that's just epic. So Dwarfy.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20647 on: March 15, 2012, 05:47:16 am »

I have kobold and kea man soap. It's scrubberific.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20648 on: March 15, 2012, 06:26:35 am »

The diplomat has left unhappy.

I wasn't even aware there WERE diplomats. This was from an elven caravan.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20649 on: March 15, 2012, 06:33:03 am »

The diplomat has left unhappy.

I wasn't even aware there WERE diplomats. This was from an elven caravan.

No loss then.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20650 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:15 am »

Just lost my fort.

Thirst deaths started happening, despite me having two stills pumping out booze, and barrels being made to accomodate said booze. My reports said I had quite a bit, so I don't know what was wrong. Maybe they all went Tee-Total? Either way, I couldn't make clean water, although I had a brook nearby, the water was stagnant... despite flowing.

Tantrum spiral started, and, you get it from there. Still, my most sucessful fort thus far.

I guess for my next adventure I'll try and get a functional clean water source. Shame, my food was sorted due to the brook and fishing. About the only things I was missing was clean water and a metal industry, because I hadn't found any suitiable metals, and when I broke into the caverns there was a sheer 2 Z-level drop.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:11:36 am by Raikaria »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20651 on: March 15, 2012, 07:43:05 am »

Snatchers!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20652 on: March 15, 2012, 07:50:16 am »

I've been a bit more cautious with this fort.

I have a ramped entrance that descends several levels though the soil to stone.  I have a residential sector, consisting of three by three rooms.  I need more.  Many more.

I only have one squad for 65 dwarfs, all marksdwarfs.  It fits nicely with my defence plan.  My entrance descends a series of ramps, so caravans can access my internal trade depot.  There is a four-square-wide pit along the length of the access tunnel.  In order to get into the fortress proper, you need to cross the drawbridge over the pit.  Naturally, we have the wall on the opposite side of the pit carved into fortification.  The entrance is lined with stone-fall traps (not that they seem very efffetive).

I have had two ambushes.  The first was defeated by a caravan after I turtled up in the fortress.  The second was defeated when the goblins got stuck in the trapped entrance way, injuried by falling rocks, and sniped by my marksdwarves.  Unfortunately, some of the goblins survived the fall into the pit and escaped into the fortress.  They were promptly blugeoned to death by the marksdwarves steel crossbows.

Just had a siege as well.  It was defeated in a similar manner.  I had to lift burrow restrictions, however, to replenish the squad's bolts.  This time the exit door to the pit was tightly closed.  No goblins escaped.  I should have made the pit deeper, but too late now.

I have lost one dwarf to the goblins.  For some reason, my mayor has been taken by melancholy.  I am digging to the caverns next.  I need magma.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20653 on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:32 am »

I bring the bins to the trade depot, then sell the individual items in them. Not like bins are all that valuable anyways, and it saves a lot of dwarf power and resources that go into making them.

I don't often sell the bins, unless they're all loaded with the same type of trade good which I'm unloading anyway.  Also I never sell wood bins when the elves are trading because they get pissy.

New fort, revealing to see what i got.

FLUX ! COAL ! MAGNETITE ! :D

And going by my recent experiences:

ALL LOCATED IN AN EMBARK-WIDE AQUIFER!
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20654 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:07 am »

Trying to make a reservoir. Need an explanation on how screw pumps work.
Can you make it so levers dictate when they're on?
Do you NEED a channel down for them?
Do floodgates default to on position when built?

Or does river water not need to be screwpumped for cleanliness?

Pages: 1 ... 1375 1376 [1377] 1378 1379 ... 3842