Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098716 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19860 on: February 24, 2012, 01:34:57 pm »

2 war dogs pastured near the entrance to rip apart any kobold thief that dares enter.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19861 on: February 24, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »

I've had exactly the same situation the second time the Dwarven caravan came. I missed it the first time. I prepared levered spikes and a supported ceiling to cave in over them should it go wrong again but I had no issues this time. It might help if you do the trading in tiny chunks and keep the expensive stuff aside.

Hmm, possible that making large trade was the reason of that silly kind of refusal, maybe there's something buggy there.
Anyways, assuming i survive the siege season , when the caravan comes again, i'll trade.
Then i'll pull the lever for that supported ceiling :)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19862 on: February 24, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »

Unless it's been changed in this version, you shouldn't rely on only a dropping ceiling to kill them all outright. Which is why I also placed some menacing spikes. I don't think I'll use them against a caravan but should some invasionforce manage to break through my upper-outer walls then I could use them.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19863 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:43 pm »

The traders want a 50% markup. You can get away with less if your broker has good skills and the merchants are ecstatic, but 50% markup always works.

I just finished trading with the first human caravan. I gave them over 5000 profit, I think. I can't be sure because I did it in several smaller trades, but twice I exchanged over 4.5K of stone/bone goods for around 3K of metal goods/raw cloth/food. Expensive? Maybe but I had to do *something* with all that stone, and I was running out of storage space.

It's extremely fiddly trading that kind of amount when I'm trying to save all rings, scepters and figurines for the dwarven caravan, while also hanging onto my masterwork goods for now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:07:42 pm by lazygun »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19864 on: February 24, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »

Just discovered a great way to both punish traitorous dwarves and research the strange vapours that have been sighted in the desert around the fort! (Which is on a small patch of nice, grassy land.)
Rakust Edtulletmos, a foolish woodcutter who refused to drop a precious iron axe crafted for the military, (we have next to no resources, I managed to trade for two measly metal bars from the caravan.) has been sentenced to plant gathering duty in the wastes as punishment. If she finishes her task before a cloud of foul vapour engulfs him, fine, but I really doubt it... :P

Outpost Idenol struggles on! If anything more threatening than kobold thieves attacks us, we're in trouble.

Edit: Ha! High and mighty iron axe-wielding Rakust is reduced to nibbling prickle berries as she plucks them from the scorching sands!
She's still carrying the axe, though, the b*tch.
Completely unrelated, a kobold thief just crept undetected into the bunkhouse and stabbed the militia commander through the head, killing him instantly in the same turn it was discovered. :o Does attacking automatically reveal a thief, or was it poor Ablel's final shout of distress which raised the alarm? Either way, the little scumbag tried to run, but caught a couple of bolts from my nearby expedition leader, and was squashed by their pursuers.
Things are a little tense at the moment here in Idenol... Perhaps a good time to call it a night for DF. :P I can't see my keyboard and I'm getting too tired to fix constant typos...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:15:59 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19865 on: February 24, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I want those worldgen parameters. SO BADLY.

When I get them from my friend this weekend, I will upload them for the world.

Actually, what are these WorldGen Parameters? I forget how to find them and what you need.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19866 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

I... think we've exterminated every single wild animal in the surrounding area. We haven't had one for almost two years. Go genocide.

We do have some wild animals in captivity, though. Elephants, dingos and eagles will be able to survive if they breed. However, the sloths, armadillos and sole honey badger are SOL, unless they can reproduce asexually.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19867 on: February 24, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »

Just discovered a great way to both punish traitorous dwarves and research the strange vapours that have been sighted in the desert around the fort! (Which is on a small patch of nice, grassy land.)
Rakust Edtulletmos, a foolish woodcutter who refused to drop a precious iron axe crafted for the military, (we have next to no resources, I managed to trade for two measly metal bars from the caravan.) has been sentenced to plant gathering duty in the wastes as punishment. If she finishes her task before a cloud of foul vapour engulfs him, fine, but I really doubt it... :P

Outpost Idenol struggles on! If anything more threatening than kobold thieves attacks us, we're in trouble.

Ha! High and mighty iron axe-wielding Rakust is reduced to nibbling prickle berries as she plucks them from the scorching sands!
She's still carrying the axe, though, the b*tch.
Completely unrelated, a kobold thief just crept undetected into the bunkhouse and stabbed the militia commander through the head, killing him instantly in the same turn it was discovered. :o Does attacking automatically reveal a thief, or was it poor Ablel's final shout of distress which raised the alarm? Either way, the little scumbag tried to run, but caught a couple of bolts from my nearby expedition leader, and was squashed by their pursuers.
Things are a little tense at the moment here in Idenol... Perhaps a good time to call it a night for DF. :P I can't see my keyboard and I'm getting too tired to fix constant typos...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19868 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »

just recieved my first migrants! ....A fisherdorf, a dyer, and their 5 kids. ARGLBLARGL
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19869 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:38 pm »

HM, I tried to give my capt. of the guard + the miners a special pick squad and wanted the captain to train (by mining ) but he refuses to pick up a pick even though I have at least ten and only five miners. Grumf.

I removed the miners from the squad and gave the captain station orders and now he's collecting the armour pieces. He's picked up a pick now.

Edit; cancelled the stationing order and now he's gonna dig, hurrah. Hurrah. Now let's get my legendary miners to do something else, else all my digging orders are done before he gets there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:31:53 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19870 on: February 24, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »

I'm surprised we haven't been besieged yet. 214 dwarves, over 250,000 exported wealth, 5 years in and not even an ambush. All we've ever gotten are thiefs and snatchers.
I'm curious to wonder if they're amassing their armies in the east, or something.

We've also only got a mayor for some reason. You'd think they'd send the king & queen or at the very least make us a barony by now, but maybe that's a good thing?
EDIT: And my mayor just loves her slabs... <.< >.>
EDIT2: Make that 215 dwarves. STOP SHOOTING OUT BABIES!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:44:40 pm by da_nang »

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19871 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »

Got three husks (at that time was still only with starting seven) sitting behind closed doors in my still young fortress. Got one useful new migrant (at least semi-useful) and three children (of whom some should get peasants really soon, I mean they are thirteen or fourteen years old). Never figured that some of the dust may reach my dwarves 7 z-levels below a tiny opening to the surface.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19872 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:23 pm »

WHAT.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19873 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:24 pm »

Hammerlord threw a tantrum and went to talk with the mayor. Then he broke the mayor's middle spine bone.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19874 on: February 24, 2012, 03:09:32 pm »

MILITARY, STOP HAVING BABIES! YOU HAVE TOO MANY BABIES! The militia commander just popped out another, she didn't even wake up for this one.
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 3842