Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103937 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3285 on: June 04, 2010, 06:14:34 pm »

I wanted to image post, but oh well, it's not all that interesting, only the name... it's a strip of evil-aligned swamp:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I once got an ocean named "The oceans of pus"
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: June 04, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »

I wanted to image post, but oh well, it's not all that interesting, only the name... it's a strip of evil-aligned swamp:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I once got an ocean named "The oceans of pus"

It's better than most of the names generated in my current world. There is one terrifying biome called the "Useless Hills". So someone went there, saw undead abominations lurking around in a land of pure malevolence, and the first word they thought of to describe it was "useless".
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »

reminds me of terry pratchett's the light fantastic, when they come to the "forest of skund", with "skund" meaning as much as "Don't touch me, Idiot!" :D

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: June 04, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »

that the one where the trees kept trying to have a poilit conversation with him, and he was freaking out cause he thought he was going insane, and he made all the trees depressed?
Nom nom nom

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »

totally :D

and later:
"Don't fly that fast!"
"Honestly, Rincewind, the only thing we could hit in this height would be a cloud filled with stones..."
BAMMMM :D

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »

I'm working on my first fortress in a month or so.  Unfortunately, the river that the embark screen promised is frozen year-round, so my farmer isn't doing so well...
Anyway, pretty much everything is going normally.  Everyone is dying of thirst.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3291 on: June 04, 2010, 08:42:34 pm »

I'm working on my first fortress in a month or so.  Unfortunately, the river that the embark screen promised is frozen year-round, so my farmer isn't doing so well...
Anyway, pretty much everything is going normally.  Everyone is dying of thirst.

If you have magma you can pump it up to one level below the river and make water. If you can keep the water warmed until it enters underground it won't freeze again unless exposed to the all-seeing sunlight.

Plus booze, you only need water for injuried dorfs.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: June 04, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »

Thanks for the tip!
The dwarfs aren't suffering from a lack of drinks, they're just doing that thing where they don't bother to drink.   ::)  My refuse pile is filling up with corpses.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention:  Due to my kaolinite Trade Depot, I keep thinking there's been some sort of Elf bloodbath.  I'm always bummed when I realize that there hasn't been (Yet).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:00:21 pm by BodyGripper »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3293 on: June 04, 2010, 09:19:38 pm »

Are you sure the booze isn't forbidden or lost in a pathfinding bermuda triangle? Dorfs tend to go thirsty before drinking, but usually not to death.

Also, tadpoles.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: June 04, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »

Iv had 4-5 semimega beasts try and attack but no true megabeasts. Usually the giant/cyclops/ whatever dies after hitting a few 5 steel spikes in a weapon trap.

Also killed a giant alligator forgotten beast so I got a stack of 200 fat to render except now in the new version it only renders one peice at a time so its taking a LONG time since it immeditatly maximizes the clutter in the kitchen.

I can just see a dwarf wrestling a 10 foot blob of blubber into a kitchen and boiling one little peice at a time only to have another dwarf haul the blob back to the storeroom as soon as the cook finishes with the first piece.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: June 04, 2010, 09:50:46 pm »

Are you sure the booze isn't forbidden or lost in a pathfinding bermuda triangle? Dorfs tend to go thirsty before drinking, but usually not to death.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't.  I can't verify for sure, though, since I decided to abandon.   :-[

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: June 04, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »

I've finished digging out my fortress proper. It's my standard 31x31 multi-layer fort, which is very easy to follow and ridiculously efficient. I have two dwarves doing sparring drills. Not sure what they're practicing, since they haven't picked up the training axes (not sure why, not large enough to need an outfitter), but it's nice. I need to make some more armor, but steel is a pain to make without magma.

Speaking of magma, haven't pierced the caves yet. I'm planning on doing some exploratory mining and shafts, but I want to have a few trained soldiers before I start exploring, on the off chance I run into the 'Unnamed bat man civilization' down there. A few traps and a few axedwarves should keep me safe.

I finally figured out why my farmer wasn't planting: I turned off his farming labor. Earlier on I ran out of booze and the surface lakes had evaporated, so I had to rush to brew some longland beer. I finally have some pig tails and plump helmets growing, which is very good. I was within spitting distance of starvation, I was down to butchering puppies and milking everything in sight. The traders finally arrived an I bought two cows (one turned out to be a bull, which is actually better) and a female donkey to increase my milking stock. I still don't know why Toady hasn't made goats available upon embark and milkable, I may have to mod that in.

Long term, I need to secure my fort, expand my military, find magma, and secure water underground. All the surface water evaporates, but it rains a little so I might be able to collect the rain quickly in buckets and fill some small pits underground for washing. Hopefully I can secure some underground water for a more permanent solution.

Edit: I've also run into a weird thing where vermin corpses in my refuse pile isn't rotting away. Is this a new bug?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:08:06 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

It's my standard 31x31 multi-layer fort, which is very easy to follow and ridiculously efficient.

Mind PMing me the details, or posting them? I've been researching fort designs lately, so I'm intrigued...
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: June 04, 2010, 10:31:08 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7725

It's from 40d11, but the design is still good. Completely regular, very flexible, and very easy to dig out.

I have a theory as to why my axedwarves won't train with the wooden training axes I have. I think they believe that because they have no weapon equipped they're supposed to be wrestlers, even though their uniform includes an axe and actually refers to them as axedwarves (or rather, not axedwarves). So all I have to do is forge some steel axes and they'll start training in earnest.

Which would be a lot easier if a pack of rhesus macaques hadn't run off with all my steel. Sigh. At least I managed to secure a bathing pool of water, right before one of the macaques was chased inside and bled all over it. Does that make it unsuitable for bathing, or is it still ok?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:14:06 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: June 05, 2010, 12:55:51 am »

Griping with the military, but it seems to be working.  Next thing is to try my hand at building a hospital.  I understand that proximity to clean water is important, so the project is going to require a gigantic damn tunnel from the brook to my future hospital, so I can build a well.  Maybe a cistern, but that's not too important.  It shouldn't be difficult, just time-consuming.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 3842