Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103912 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3270 on: June 03, 2010, 04:31:59 pm »

Why is that impossible?

Can't you only make beds out of wood?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: June 03, 2010, 04:55:29 pm »

Oh. Ok then.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: June 03, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »

Why is that impossible?
green glass bed
On another note, a dragon just arrived. While there was still a dwarven trade caravan. Now, my entrance is where my Depot is, and is littered with cage traps. So the dragon goes for a walk, comes around the corner, sees the caravan guards and immediately breathes his deadly fire. He wanders a bit further and stumbles in a cage trap. I'm happy he's caught and go and look what cage he's in, seeing the entrance is on fire and spewing smoke left and right. So I go and have a look, when I see he's in a ‼x dragon cage <maple>x‼. Crap. I take a look at the rest if my cages, and see most of them are burning. And so he escaped. And got slaughtered by the caravan guard. And now DF has crashed. For no apparent reason.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #3273 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »

Strip down all the gobbos: 2 years
Pit all the gobbos: 2 years
Store away all the loot: 2 years

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: June 03, 2010, 10:42:03 pm »

I wanted a challenge embark, so I chose a 2x2 site that's a mix of terrifying tropical jungle and untamed tropical swamp. With an aquifer. My dwarves had been digging and chopping trees for all of 30 seconds when a herd of skeletal elephants wandered onto the map. You can imagine the mad scramble to get a few supplies underground, throw together a quick carpenter's shop, and then wall off the surface world with logs.  Luckily the elephants seem content to slowly circle the map, checking out all the murky ponds around the edges. 

Taking stock down below, my seven dwarves have managed to retrieve 4 full barrels of booze, 7 nearly-empty barrels of meat, 3 logs, and 3 bags of seed.  So obviously I make a bucket, channel out the aquifer beneath their feet, and get a farm going.  Then figure out what to make with the other logs - two beds, or a chair and a table?  My dwarves could be in for a long wait here...

Edit: Spoke too soon.  Left a wooden door in the wall, and the skeletal elephants came straight through it.  Could be my shortest embark ever :)

Edit^2: Yup, that ended in a good old-fashioned stomping.  I thought I had a chance when only a single elephant came down the ramp, especially when he charged a dwarf, missed, and fell down an irrigation pit and into my farm.  Sadly my civilians freaked out and ran for the surface... where the other four elephants were milling around.  So I save-scummed and tried again. This time I managed to get nine logs and my anvil below before walling everything off from those same five skeletal elephants. Revenge shall be mine!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:42:20 pm by SpacemanSpiff »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: June 04, 2010, 11:55:02 am »

Interesting. A failed mood leads to a berserk mechanic, and the military steps in. First a speardwarf impales BOTH his legs in one stab. Then an axedwarf lops off his left arm AND left leg in one swing (somehow missing the spear). Then another axedwarf beheads him. The beheading is a bit normal, but wow, those first two attacks. Rather odd but impressive nonetheless.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: June 04, 2010, 12:33:57 pm »

Well, just imagine it like this...

Code: [Select]
   | |
   | |
<--------
   | |
   L L
...where | are the legs. The axedwarf just chops right above the spear. It's the dwarven version of bullet to the kneecap to stop him from running, the axedwarves just do the rest :o

In other news: I got crundled. Again. I tried a new fort in the caverns and had my miner fight off some crundles. He followed one deeper into the cave and ran right into a giant cave spider. Poor guy also had my only pick. I guess, the others have to live on whatever they can find in the caves and somehow produce enough stuff to get a new pick from the caravan.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: June 04, 2010, 03:43:48 pm »

Hello, first post here, and third day with DF. After racing through TinyPirates Tutorial, and reading (LOTS of reading) through the wiki, I restarted on his pre-fab map and tried things my way. Also, I modded the init.txt so my max. pop. is only 24 - I wanna start of small and work my way up to a big fort. No need to make things over-complicated with nobles and economy...

Anyway, I've half-finished my workshop area and am planning out my dorm complex for my dwarves. I have a question, though, about magma forges: I understand how to set them up, but in order to do so I have to send my dwarves to the magma pool... Where fire imps lair. I'm a little worried about the half-dozen or so of the little buggers that are currently wandering around the pool. Whats an easy, preferably efficient, way of getting rid of them? I don't have much in the way of a military (my woodchopper and his 2 war dogs) and don't want !!war dog!! running through my fort.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: June 04, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »

Embarked in a very nice place, serene, heavy forest, limestone upper layer. First two messages were announcing magnetite and bituminous coal. Going to try to get used to the military, limited magma, and caverns before I embark in a harder zone. First three stones I found were fuel, iron, and flux, it's like Armok wants me to start making steel.

Edit: Message three: You have struck Lignite!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:52:05 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: June 04, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »

Anyway, I've half-finished my workshop area and am planning out my dorm complex for my dwarves. I have a question, though, about magma forges: I understand how to set them up, but in order to do so I have to send my dwarves to the magma pool... Where fire imps lair. I'm a little worried about the half-dozen or so of the little buggers that are currently wandering around the pool. Whats an easy, preferably efficient, way of getting rid of them? I don't have much in the way of a military (my woodchopper and his 2 war dogs) and don't want !!war dog!! running through my fort.

Generally a lot of players try to seal off the magma pipe surface entirely so that the imps don't start wandering all over and wreaking hell. In terms of tapping them, it's a lot safer to dig towards them underground and look for a layer in the pipe that's wider than the ones below it. On that level (which we will call z.0), dig out an area that you'd like magma to fill, and leave exactly two tiles of wall between the reservoir and the magma pipe. Turn on a dwarf's engraving labour, and using d-s select the wall tile of the reservoir to be smoothed, then after that use d-a to have it be carved into a fortification (liquids go through, creatures don't, barring occasional freak circumstances). Then seal off the reservoir from above and have a miner dig towards the one wall tile between the pipe and the fortification from the layer above, z.1. Have him channel (d-h) the wall out from above, so that magma begins pouring through the fortifications and into your safe zone. Then floor/wall up the breach where the miner channeled. Voila! The magma will never overflow unless you get too ambitious with your pump schemes, but I think you're a little ways away from that. If any part of that doesn't make sense, feel free to doublecheck here or the Gameplay Questions subforum.

Oh, and as a heads-up, you're playing what's known as version 40d. If you read about anything on the wiki that doesn't seem right to you, make sure you're not looking at the v0.31 (or "DF2010") page, which is the latest version (albeit still buggy).

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:13 pm »

Don't worry, I know which version I'm playing. And thanks, now I just need to think up a way to seal off the pool... There's some ponds on the surface, maybe arranging a floodgate/lever/channel system to drain a small pond on top of the pool? And I feel like I should probably bring this over to gameplay questions...
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: June 04, 2010, 05:26:42 pm »

Currently genning a fresh world, the region I'm looking at now..., well, BEHOLD:
"The Calamitous Goo"
I think I will pit an adventurer in there and then build a fort-sized shrine in his memory there... hehe...

that will be epic, yeah...

hehe...

On another Fort, I'd managed to build part of the upper Fort when I got interrupted by an incoming siege. my axedwarfs made short process of it, now if I could just think of an easy way to get rid of all the shit they're carrying... will probably build giant retractable bridge areas, suspended by iron pillars over a magma reservoir. only thing which will be left then is to drain the magma and melt the s**t out of the iron stuff they probably have with them...

EDIT: started human adventurer Anger Othagothag Othagothagothagothag Othag, also known as Anger Angeranger the Angry Angry Angry-Anger of Anger

He seems to be mad at something.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:42:22 pm by EvilTwin »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:51 pm »

Trying to base my magma forges on the rim of a large, constructed, crucible amidst my recreational water works.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3283 on: June 04, 2010, 05:53:11 pm »

Currently genning a fresh world, the region I'm looking at now..., well, BEHOLD:
"The Calamitous Goo"
I think I will pit an adventurer in there and then build a fort-sized shrine in his memory there... hehe...

that will be epic, yeah...

hehe...

On another Fort, I'd managed to build part of the upper Fort when I got interrupted by an incoming siege. my axedwarfs made short process of it, now if I could just think of an easy way to get rid of all the shit they're carrying... will probably build giant retractable bridge areas, suspended by iron pillars over a magma reservoir. only thing which will be left then is to drain the magma and melt the s**t out of the iron stuff they probably have with them...

EDIT: started human adventurer Anger Othagothag Othagothagothagothag Othag, also known as Anger Angeranger the Angry Angry Angry-Anger of Anger

He seems to be mad at something.

Umm.... Failed image posting?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: June 04, 2010, 06:00:11 pm »

I wanted to image post, but oh well, it's not all that interesting, only the name... it's a strip of evil-aligned swamp:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 3842