Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108857 times)

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2925 on: May 17, 2010, 07:45:02 am »

But meanwhile, one of my two masons has finally reached high enough rank to slowly start producing masterwork coffins.

Hooray!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2926 on: May 17, 2010, 08:49:13 am »

Yea in know. It has been a bit difficult, because despite the fact he was one of the original 7, a migrant mason got in mood, became legendary and later "ate" most of the masonry related work.
It took me some time to realize that and forbid that legendary to work in mason's workshop.
And not a second to early did I succeed.

I might be going down but not until there are enough masterwork rock coffins for all non-military dwarfs.

Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39:30 am »

I have my newly-legendary blacksmith make five gold statues. They turn out to be, in order, of the founding of Redgranite, of my expedition leader, of my broker, of my bookkeeper, and of my militia commander. Awesome.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: May 17, 2010, 09:54:19 am »

After walling off cavern #1, I've moved on to the other caverns. I missed #2 and struck #3 first. Then accidentally broke into #2 while creating a collapsable entrance in case of unkillable beasts. So now I've got two caverns to wall off simultaneously.

I've heard a lot people talking about how they can dig down a hundred z-levels to the bottom of the map but I can't find any path down that far that isn't blocked by semi-molten stone at about 40 z-levels below the surface.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: May 17, 2010, 09:57:21 am »

I have my newly-legendary blacksmith make five gold statues. They turn out to be, in order, of the founding of Redgranite, of my expedition leader, of my broker, of my bookkeeper, and of my militia commander. Awesome.

You're going to have to do something epic with them. Dig out a big area near your fortress' entrance, engrave the walls with historical engravings (I think the way to get the most is to find an engraver with high artistic ability (and skill) but low imagination, so he won't just draw cheese), load it up with artifacts, station two war dogs on steel chains at each entrance, and have the statues arranged in a V shape pointing towards the entrance, with the statue of the founder in the front, and the statue of the founding right behind him. Make this your new meeting zone.

Like this:

S    S
 SSS
   S

EDIT:
Oh, you only have 5. In that case,

S
SSS
  S

I think they should be, in order of top-right to bottom-left,
Bookkeeper (The dwarf who stands behind, the fortress wouldn't work without him but he never goes out and performs epic deeds, prefering to sit and do his job dilligently in his office)
Millitia Commander, founding, Broker (They are the frontdwarves, they do important work going out and killing/trading. It also symbolizes the sort of yin/yang between diplomacy and millitary, with the fortress hanging in the balance)
Expidition Leader (He led everyone here)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:04:48 am by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:55 am »

I was preparing to pump magma up to the surface when I hit the caverns. I didn't take immediate precautions and a troll got in. Now I've got four militia members and a dog  chasing him in my quarry in a very Benny Hill-style chase.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: May 17, 2010, 10:46:53 am »

Bookkeeper (The dwarf who stands behind, the fortress wouldn't work without him but he never goes out and performs epic deeds, prefering to sit and do his job dilligently in his office)
Millitia Commander, founding, Broker (They are the frontdwarves, they do important work going out and killing/trading. It also symbolizes the sort of yin/yang between diplomacy and millitary, with the fortress hanging in the balance)

There should be space between them. Perhaps a square room with a statue on each side and the one of the founding in the center?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: May 17, 2010, 11:31:17 am »

There should be space between them. Perhaps a square room with a statue on each side and the one of the founding in the center?

Except that kind of screws up the symbolism.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: May 17, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »

Except that kind of screws up the symbolism.

I might put waterfalls between them. Or magma, now that the melting bug is fixed.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: May 17, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »

Hmm...

I think you should put a little bit more archetecture in than that.

Make some sort of clear glass cage thing and fill that with magma.

Sort of like

_____
/S|S|S\
|S|S|S|
|S|S|S|

I can't draw it very well with ASCII...

From above:

O
 O    O
    O
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:27:28 pm by Schilcote »

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »

The fort has been abandoned.

I found the adamantine, made as much armor and weapons as I could and then opened the HFS. The adamantine armor was surprisingly effective, but it in the end it wasn't enough. That was an interesting way to end a fort.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2936 on: May 17, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »

God damn fire imps unleashed hell in my fortress, 2 miners killed and 1 mason about to perish.
My militia is almost whipped out too. MERCHANTS PLEASE COME AND SAVE MY ASS !!!

What worse than this can happen now ? What ? :C

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: May 17, 2010, 01:55:57 pm »

God damn fire imps unleashed hell in my fortress, 2 miners killed and 1 mason about to perish.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »

The Dragon (insert name here) has arrived!
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: May 17, 2010, 02:02:28 pm »

The Dragon (insert name here) has arrived!

Dwarffortress.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close... windows is checking for a solution.

Also, solution to WHAT?
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 3842