Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121720 times)

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1185 on: February 01, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »

I'm doing a favela now. Embarked on a forest retreat and started cutting down each and every tree. Then made a really messy slum of tightly packed, multi-storied wooden shacks. Defense is a pain, but pathing is just lovely. I also caught all the carp in the local river and then dammed it. 5 dwarf babies died in the process.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 01, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »

I'm doing a favela now. Embarked on a forest retreat and started cutting down each and every tree. Then made a really messy slum of tightly packed, multi-storied wooden shacks. Defense is a pain, but pathing is just lovely. I also caught all the carp in the local river and then dammed it. 5 dwarf babies died in the process.
<3
What'd you do with the elves?

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 01, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »

Dwarves can't wear large equipment, correct?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 01, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »

That is correct. (You can mod out [STOUT] from Dwarves' raws, but then you'd have small equipment everywhere. <_<)

Also, you want the Little Questions thread. ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:20:13 pm by Jack_Bread »

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:34 pm »

That is correct. (You can mod out [STOUT] from Dwarves' raws, but then you'd have small equipment everywhere. <_<)

Also, you want the Little Questions thread. ;)
Alright, thanks. I post my question there next time.

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 01, 2010, 05:46:30 pm »

My armorer just had a fey mood and created an artifact armor!  ;D

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 01, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »

It seems my count was impatient for his rooms and went melancholy. no biggy, he was useless anyway. Construction on my Magma moat is going well, except, that the level the magma is on has my indoor farming area blocking the moat, which means I'll be devising an alternate route through it
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 01, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »

Just finished genning a world for my new fort.  I modded in steel wearing orcs, and found a site with 3 tiles of heavy forest, a magma pipe, underground river, chasm, limestone, red sand and HFS all in a 4x4 embark.  Should help me keep the lag down as the building goes up.  Planning to use/destroy stone as I mine it to try and keep that from stacking up too much. 

If I can, this will hopefully be a minimalist fort... I want to play with some new skills I've not done much with, and I'm hoping that I can do things like train someone to legendary craftdwarf... then get rid of all his crafts...

I want to minimize the amount of wealth I have laying around in my fortress as loose items and get anything that is loose like that exported/chasm'd before it gets out of hand.

I might actually try to build bridges surrounding the whole map to control where sieges and traders spawn.

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 01, 2010, 07:26:15 pm »

My fort just endured it's first seige. I was ill prepared, except for the traps. All of the goblins save one, died as they walked into my traps. The last stayed outside and started shooting arrows. Drafting all the closest dwarves took care of him. My focus is now moving to improving defense.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 02, 2010, 12:45:28 am »

Well, Urist McCraftsdwarf fell into a secretive mood and became a legendary clothier (instead of a leatherworker), which he was equal level prior to the mood. I was a bit miffed until he redeemed himself by producing this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like to think that there's an elf on each asscheek.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 02, 2010, 11:31:20 am »

My heating is very slowly filling up. As in, VERY slowly. It's a spiral with outer dimensions of 70 by 70 and it's fed by a one-tile, 92 long pipe. The walls are two tiles thick, but the mined-out-and-walled-up veins are just one tile. Also, the construction of the noble tower is on it's way. Kind of. The first half floor is almost done. And I don't have enough labourers to work. But I also don't want any more immigrants, because this will attract nobles, who I kind of only want when everything's nice and finished. I'm currently working on the caravan drowning chamber: on the way into the tower, there's a platform with the depot. It's surrounded with fortifications, save for a three-wide passage, where you will find grates. On the inside, there are floodgates. And then the depot. The floor above holds the cistern. The salt water (perks of embarking in a freezing biome with a sea) can be dropped onto the unsuspecting traders due to 25 floor hatches. The first sign of trouble will be the grates closing, then the floodgates rising from the ground. Then, before anybody knows what's going on, the water will drop onto them, drowning them in minutes. The floodgates will be lowered, the water will flow out of the room and the goodies will be ready for the taking.
Also, diagram time!

Spoiler: Ground floor. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: First floor. (click to show/hide)

Also, am I the only one getting a 403 error on the wiki? Not just me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:38:50 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 02, 2010, 02:25:09 pm »

Just started the second half of the digging for my megaproject fort. The first round of my undertaking left me with in the vicinity of 300,000 stone, and my non-project digging has probably garnered me with another 100,000. With the large area I'm digging out now, I could possibly end up with in the range of 700,000 tiles dug out. Yeesh. At least I have about 100 dwarves who do absolutely nothing but dump stone in the chasm. Two years of that got my FPS up from 0 to 15, although I think today's efforts have trashed it back down to 4FPS already.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:05 pm »

Migrant wave of 18 showed up when my fortress already contained 198 residents.  Bumping the population over the cap to 216.  Making me wonder if I'll still get the king after my big silver road system is complete.  It also threw my precisely designed jails out of whack, making me require to dig out a spot for 1 more chain, since I only thought I would need 20.  Not to mention that my stocks of meat was already beginning to fall behind as the 30 breeding pairs of cows, horses, and chocobo were not growing to full size fast enough to get 100% of my potential butchering output.  I could always start butchering dogs if I need to since war dogs already outnumber my military 2 to 1 and hunting dogs outnumber my hunters 10 to 1, but I'm not sure even that would be able to keep up.

On the bright side, the hunting game still hasn't been depleted, granted it's mostly tiny little size 2 puni (Modded from Mana Khemia) but 2 meat is better than 0 I suppose. I also managed to get my first legendary hunter.  More than 200 kills to his name. 

I have a artifact willow crossbow called "The Mirthful Soldier" that I would love to give him.  He doesn't openly express emotions, thinks through every action and it's consequences, and doesn't really care about anything anymore.  He really needs some mirth I think, but since he's not military I can't station him anywhere to force him to grab the artifact, and if I drafted him he would go hero and not go back to hunting. A shame.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 02, 2010, 09:12:10 pm »

if I drafted him he would go hero and not go back to hunting.

Not true. Just don't let him gain a level of experience while he is in the military, and you can dismiss him from the military at any time. Even if he's a champion.

Not sure if it will let him keep his artifact weapon, but you can try.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 02, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »

Hm I'll try that then.  I figured drafting a legendary in a weapon skill made them champs instantly.  But I didn't have any actual experience to back it up.  Well worth a try, he'll just stay on duty the whole time to make sure he doesn't go to the archery range.

EDIT: Hm.  He is refusing to pick it up.  Seems the ability to use artifact gear is linked to the tag that makes a creature a champion.  Oh well, the crossbow will have to go to a suitably mirthless marks-champ.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:26:25 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 3842