Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121735 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1155 on: January 29, 2010, 11:08:07 pm »

The tower is finished. All I need to do now is to get the queen and marry her off and I'll be finished with this fort. Fun times ahead.

Lost a child to a siege. He didn't come in fast enough, than ran AWAY from my fort instead of towards it when a fast orc guard got too close. Ended up risking my military over that moron /sigh. Had a damn lucky hammerdwarf go toe to toe with 10  bow orcs. He took down the 7 melee orcs in the squad, dodging back and forth against the arrows, until four squads of backup arrived. I take no chances against ranged weapons, usually I put all my melee dwarves in the entrance and have my marksdwarves cut them into little pieces. Very effective, but irritatingly fragile. But then, all stationary defenses are, that's why I have the military troops to back them up.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1156 on: January 29, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »

The elves avoided wrath (this time) by bringing a wolf, a black bear, and a giant jaguar, along with other assorted alcohol, livestock, and only a SINGLE bin of cloth :).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 30, 2010, 12:18:00 am »

Hmm. Well, I have my tower-cap farm done and metal industry up and running, and nothing but copper as far as I can see. If the liaison dies I quit.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 30, 2010, 01:04:58 am »

With my tower completed, I put my excess dwarf labor to work setting up hundreds of cage traps around my fort. I build a 'plank' from the top floor of my tower, which I plan to throw any goblin crazy enough to ambush/snatch/invade off of, along with the mountain gnomes that have plagued this fortress since it was founded.

Sent the queen a full set of masterwork giant cave spider silk clothing, as well as a totem that, for some reason, depicts the entire political history of my fort (all four mayor shifts) in various high-value gems. For later kingdoms I'll just chuck five grand at whoever's in power, but I like the RP aspect of it.

Seriously, the royal requirements could be met with an aboveground fortress building nothing but wooden walls and selling nothing but processed imported wood.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:29:11 am by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

kwon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 30, 2010, 06:02:21 am »

A migrant wave just came; 2 craftsdwarfs; female and male.
They married after 2 seasons.
Are dwarves that cheapo ?   :P

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 30, 2010, 06:32:56 am »

I wanted a bit a more aggressive play for my second fort, so I went with a terrifying biome and scarce vegetation(there is a river though). I've probably gone through 300 dorfs with only 80 currently alive and kicking, but I was smart. I anticipated this so, my whole fort is engraved and statue gardens everywhere. Happy Thought!!!
Currently starting to feel the pressure of sieges, still playing vanilla though. I keep losing 1 or 2 champions along with about 4 regulars. I was having problems with my entrance, whenever dorfs would run away from the skeleton camels they would often path into the entrance partially but then jump out and start running off somewhere else, so I just made my whole top level open(enuf for a roof and cover from archers) spaced and made my barracks and archery targets right there. Awesome thing about this play is that there is always like 5 dorfs recovering.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A
« Reply #1161 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:43 am »

A kid got a fay mood. She grabbed: three bits of magnetite, a rough amazonite, two rough sards, a linseed cloth, a stack of seven donkey bones, one tower cap log and a piece of raw green glass. And she made a magnetite earring, called Dalzatilral Oburaral, "Matchtreaties the Heroic Woman"

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 30, 2010, 09:48:34 am »

The third year of Dayboats draws to a close seems the orcs like to seige right after the caravans arrive on map. Last year year they managed to over take the dwarven caravan before it could reach my fort, surprisingly their guards were able to kill drive off the siege as they left. :| At least I got some free stuff out of it.

Later that winter I ran out of food because I didnt pay attention and brewed all my plump helmets *face palm*. It was rough until summer brought the humans. I also finally finished my temporary orc defence of a long hall with lever controlled spikes :). As soon as I get done building the outer walls around my fort and a few more recruits trained up I'll be going all military, should be Fun.

Have been getting some interesting artifacts out of this fort. Crossbows are popular here it seems but this is my favorite cant wait to get a legendary macedwarf.
Not very intersting decorations I know but still..
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

Tried out the EEEP on an orc siege. Aside from skewering the right lung of a marksdwarf who, for some unknown reason, decided to walk through it (amazingly he survived) it worked fantastically. Now I'm suffering from a pathing lagspike as my dwarves swarm over each other to gather their armor. Oh well.

Also caught 3 kobold thieves. Now that's talent. It's ironic, I wouldn't care if they took all the goblin and extra orc crap lying around outside my fort, but they insist on trying to steal actual valuables from inside.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:58:37 pm by Grendus »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 30, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »

I feel sorry for one of my metalsmiths. ;D
Nobody has been put in prison, yet, but my mayor mandated the construction of fine pewter items, which I didn't have.
He got thrown in jail for 30 days. Shortly after my tax collector arrived, he mandated the construction of tin items, which I didn't have either. The mandate ended and I checked the justice screen to see who got jailed. It was the same metalsmith. xD

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »

Had a swordsdwarf face off one-on-one against an orc axe lord / local leader at the end of a siege. The swordsdwarf got a little injured and dropped his sword in the moat, but then a marksdwarf shot the orc, who dropped his axe. I unforbidded the axe, set the dwarf to be an axe-user, and he kicked the crap out of the invader. Left a good happy feeling way down in my heart.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 30, 2010, 02:11:26 pm »

My current fortress is the first one I've ever isolated from the outside world. Well I locked the starting 7 in then only took a few wave of immigrants (after about 100 immigrants died waiting outside). Normally I build above ground as much as possible and die within a year or two when the ambushes / sieges start.

When we were finally ready to emerge from the ground after building an empire in the dark for 25 years I never expected there to be so much puke.

Outside at last! It's been 25 years since the original 7 saw the sun. Damn this light!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Miners Cafe rising from the bottom of a pit, being filled with vomit from the top. Can't wait till liquids pool together.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:30:36 pm by A Dwarven Smokeologist »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 30, 2010, 04:25:22 pm »

The king arrived. And was married, even though it didn't show in the civ screen. Oh well, was fun while it lasted.

The megaproject is finished, the fortress is done, damn that was fun! Not sure if I want to try the new Dig Deeper, Fallout, or do a vanilla no items embark. Any way you cut it, should be fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:03 pm »

Okay, something really odd happened. Somehow a merchants muskox got killed and the traders fled. This is the very first dwarven caravan. I have absolutely no idea how it happened as i didn't know it happened until I got the 'A thief has stolen a ((steel platemail))!' message and investigated. I'm going to haul in the rest of the stuff before any more kobolds steal stuff.

I hope I don't have a kobold ambush this early....

Maybe I'll do a quick check in legends to see what the heck happened.

Edit: The giant eagle thats on my map is my primary suspect....

Edit2: Legends reveals nothing. I'm going to put my dwarves on hyperdrive so that I can get that stuff in quickly because there were apparently two platemails that were stolen. I don't need to give the kobolds any more incentive right now.

Edit3: Oh yea, I just got a small wave of migrants (its mid-autmn) which brought a baby Giant Toad and a baby GCS. Two of those eight migrants are kids though :P And to boot, its the migrant kids don't recognize each other as siblings bug.... No married couples in that group either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:00:58 pm by smjjames »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 31, 2010, 04:33:33 pm »

A force of vile darkness arrived with a squad consisting of 12 crossbowmen leaded by an elite crossbowman. :(
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 3842