Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121726 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1170 on: January 31, 2010, 04:39:19 pm »

DF: "A vile Force of Darkness has arrived"
Me: "all dwarves stay indoors"
Goblins: "CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!"
Champion: "ENTRANCE DAAAAAAAANCE"
Bowgobs: "You're kidding, right?" *shootshootshoot*
Champion: "Aaaaargh" *dies*
Me: "Noooo!"
Goblins: "Forward!"
A few seconds later
Goblins: AAH!

Cage Traps FTW
in normal terms, I got a goblin siege, one of my champions got shot, and I caught the rest of them in cage traps.
I then took all their stuff and dumped the now-naked goblins into an exposed section of my magma-plumbing (which STILL hasn't filled enough, after several years) which I keep for just this purpose.

EDIT: and now a dragon showed up... great...
FURTHER EDIT: despite having a dragon running around the countryside, I've still got traders, migrants, and life as usual. Really, guys, wouldn't the human traders have warned you about the dragon? One would think that that'd be kinda big news...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:40:37 pm by Urist McOverlord »
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 31, 2010, 09:27:08 pm »

Before fortress starts - "Hmmm, Orcs no longer prove much of a challenge. I should triple their size or something."
Later - A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!
"Lets check on the military... All decked out in steel plate, each a legendary in wrestling and one other weapon skill, all attributes 10+, a squad of 4 should be enough..."
Urist McChampion has been struck down x4
"Ah. Oh dear."
Your fortress has crumbled to it's end.

Note to self - Military Dorfs can never have enough training.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1172 on: January 31, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »

The elves have displeased me.

For many years I had a very agreeable trade situation worked out with the elves.  Their caravan would show up every spring laden with precious wood.  I would relieve them of the wood, and let them leave with their lives and perhaps a mug or two for their trouble.  I had wood for bins and barrels and potash, and they had enough profit to come back the next year.  Then something changed.  It was about the time that uppity elven diplomat showed up to demand limits on our wood-cutting.  Pageslipped is in a treeless desert, so the demand struck me as harmless enough.

Obviously agreeing to their demand was a mistake, for soon afterwards the elves stopped bringing wood and began showing up laden with other goods.  Cloth, plants, exotic animals, seeds, and useless wooden weapons and large clothing.  The first year I bought some of their new goods, purchasing a breeding pair of grizzly bears.  The next year they returned again with more useless goods.  Realizing that a steady supply of wood was worth more than another exotic animal or a few berries, I refused to deal with them, hoping they'd get the message.

They left without trading, then the next year returned with the same crap.  Obviously the message didn't get through.

This winter I had my dwarves tear down the standard trading depot, and build a new one just for the elves.  A wooden trading depot, surrounded by iron walls and doors, and connected by pumps to the magma lake.  I do not intend to take their worthless goods.  That would imply I placed any worth in them.  I will burn elves, pack animals, cloth, useless clothing and weapons, plants, seeds, caged exotic animals, and the trade depot all at once.  And I will continue this every year until they start bringing wood again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 31, 2010, 11:11:25 pm »

I'm not sure how destroying the goods work, but I know seizing all the goods forces the caravan to go back with a negative profit which generally makes them bring less of the "profitable" cloth and more of the "un-profitable" animals and such. 

But I've heard there is a bug where if you seize an animal they don't switch owners to you... so you should buy those first.

kwon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 01, 2010, 04:47:55 am »

Em, I just got a migrant wave of EIGHTEEN dwarves...
And it even was my first wave.
And I didn't mess around with raws affecting them.
So, by Armok's name, wazzup with this ?

EDIT: Just got a secretive mood , but the dwarf hasn't claimed a workshop yet.
        Can I somehow look the demanded workshop up ?

Craftsdwarfshop was built; everything is allright  ;D
        And a legendary woodcrafter... Quite ok for my first moody dwarf.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:25:05 am by kwon »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 01, 2010, 05:01:24 am »

Em, I just got a migrant wave of EIGHTEEN dwarves...
And it even was my first wave.
And I didn't mess around with raws affecting them.
So, by Armok's name, wazzup with this ?

It happens. I've had bigger waves with less trading, and tiny waves with tons of trading. There's always a random element involved.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:15 am »

My gemsetter just encrusted the CRAP out of an obsidian throne. It has the works - scenes, shapes, symbols, menacing spikes of cat's-eye.

Meanwhile, a dragon showed up sometime while I was getting coffee and the only reason I even know about it is the dragon-fat tallow.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 01, 2010, 12:41:17 pm »

I just abaondoned my fort because I kept having low FPS around the 20s and 30s and I don't usually have this much FPS trouble with a desert fort. My forts are pretty open, so I have no idea what the issue would be. I did turn off temp and weather which helped but my FPS was swinging wildly from high FPS to low FPS. So if someone wants to diagnose my fort, okay....

Its times like this that I wish there was a way to see where the pathing was dense or how to figure out how to fix it.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13:45 pm »

I just abaondoned my fort because I kept having low FPS around the 20s and 30s and I don't usually have this much FPS trouble with a desert fort. My forts are pretty open, so I have no idea what the issue would be. I did turn off temp and weather which helped but my FPS was swinging wildly from high FPS to low FPS. So if someone wants to diagnose my fort, okay....

Its times like this that I wish there was a way to see where the pathing was dense or how to figure out how to fix it.

Often that is one of the symptoms of ambushers arriving on your map.

Other than that, there are a lot of things that might have something to do with it... How many idle dwarves do you have when it drops?  Are hauling jobs being created?

On my latest fort I have a giant 5x5 central staircase... I get 30ish FPS while the dwarves are in the main fort...

Off to the side is a fairly large 4 chamber obsidian farm.  Once the obsidian is mined out, I drop to 10 fps while my dwarves figure out how to haul it out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

I actually only abandoned a copy save, the origional is sitting in a safe place. I wasnt truly ready to completely abandon it and besides I wanted to use the ultrafinder to look for another site.

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 01, 2010, 01:23:16 pm »

I'm currently on my third fort. Yup, I'm a newbie. This one has lasted longer than the first two, which ended after about a year with everyone going hungry and thirsty and killing each other. I pulled this one out of a food shortage and now have a good surplus. There are two mountains on my map and I plan on building a causeway between the two if it is possible, to start mining in the other one. When this is done, I want to dedicate one mountain to recreation and housing and the other to work space. I'm also working on building up defenses.

This fort had a lot of firsts for me, my first legendary dwarves, I first exploration into different jobs and how to manage them. I'm really learning a lot from this fort and I plan on making last as long as I can so I can learn and try more things.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 01, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »

I abandoned Ragintense(the fort previously advertised in my sig) in favor of a megaproject I've been thinking of for a while. :)

I hope this goes well. <_<

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »

Oh god. My mayor just mandated the creation of 2 Admantite items. I haven't even found any Admantite ore yet!

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 01, 2010, 02:06:23 pm »

I collapsed the side of a mountain.  My map has one side of a mountain, and I wished it gone.  For a while I was just doing a controlled channel to erode it down.  But I found that too much work, so I decided to dwarfy it up a bit.  Dug out the underneath of each z level, put up a few supports, channel out the edges to make them free-floating.  Hooked up the support to a lever and hit the switch.

My computer froze for 5 minutes.

Lot of work, but totally worth it.  Stones were still falling for minutes after I accordianned in the side.  Wounded two mountain goats and killed a hoary marmot who picked a wrong time to spawn.  Now begins the clean-up process.  Lots of stone to dump.  I need to reclaim my fps.

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »

I collapsed the side of a mountain.  My map has one side of a mountain, and I wished it gone.  For a while I was just doing a controlled channel to erode it down.  But I found that too much work, so I decided to dwarfy it up a bit.  Dug out the underneath of each z level, put up a few supports, channel out the edges to make them free-floating.  Hooked up the support to a lever and hit the switch.

My computer froze for 5 minutes.

Lot of work, but totally worth it.  Stones were still falling for minutes after I accordianned in the side.  Wounded two mountain goats and killed a hoary marmot who picked a wrong time to spawn.  Now begins the clean-up process.  Lots of stone to dump.  I need to reclaim my fps.
That, is pretty awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 3842