Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Did something happen to GWG?  (Read 15697 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Did something happen to GWG?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 09:45:38 pm »

It just exploded to massive scale.
Kind of like a tumor.

* Darvi ducks quickly.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 11:28:11 pm »

I still don't understand the people that came to this forum SPECIFICALLY for anything other than the main focuses. There's places all over the Internet more focused towards forum rp, mafia, RTDs and other things... Why is this place so attractive if you don't have interest in the rest of it?

And don't go saying it's the community or the environment, since we're not any more behaved or intelligent than the average medium sized online community.
Pfffff...
Have you actually played Dwarf Fortress yet?

'Cos far as I remember you hadn't played it for the first... 5 years of bein' here.

I've played it off and on since before it was 3D. I actually had an old desktop of mine BSOD while playing the last pre z level version. I also quite like LCS and have won nightmare mode a few times.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 11:36:51 pm »

EDIT: And the reason VN wasn't shut down wasn't because it was stupid (which it was, but instead of keeping the stupid there it just spilled onto the other boards) but because of one woman who took the time to just constantly post shota (Japanese young boy hentai) there constantly. Toady's choice was to close the board and ban her or to get v& by the FBI, which I think is fair enough.

Uh, no? I mean I assume she got banned and her posts deleted. I don't remember this person (I stayed away from the hentai on VN) but the FBI didn't say "To make sure this never happens again this needs to be split up into more specific sub-forums." Toady changed VN because it consistently had tons of shitty posts over a long period and was spreading to other parts of the forum.

????

Did I say that the FBI said it?

If you're a web host and you don't have a very dedicated legal team (see: 8chan), you are not going to allow stuff like what she was posting. I don't know about US law, but depictions of it are completely illegal in the UK.

I'm pretty sure the United States has freedom of the press. It's one of the declining number of things that still makes us great.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 11:39:44 pm »

For what it's worth, I originally came here for LCS, not DF.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:01 pm »

one outright deleted
I always assumed you called that orbital strike in yourself. Was that The Toad himself deciding it wasn't worth the effort?

Unfortunately I don't even know the full story because I wasn't even around for the final few hours, but I assure you I most definitely did not ask for that thread to be deleted.

My version of the story is that after spending literally over 10 hours designing an incredibly complicated forum game ruleset, GWG basically didn't like my rulings as GM, and spent several pages arguing with me, telling me that I, the GM of the game...was wrong. So I told him if he didn't like it, he didn't have to play, but to stop cluttering up the thread with complaints. To which he responded with a couple more pages of complaints where roughly every second post was from him, and it was massively interfering with the game itself. Eventually I locked the thread, with intent to unlock it after things had cooled down. And then I went to bed.

The following day I had a warning in my inbox from Toady and the game thread had been replaced by a comment from Toady stating that both the game thread and its OOC thread, as well as a third "related thread" had all been deleted. What "third thread" you ask? I don't know. I never posted in it, I never saw it. But from what I gather, after I locked the game thread, GWG created a new thread solely for the purpose of resuming his flame war, possibly with one of his alt accounts. I don't even know. I never saw it. But whatever it was, the result was that my threads I'd invested a lot of time into were deleted.

So somewhere in there Toady offered some advice on how to deal with GWG in the future: just ignore him and report his posts. So the next game I created, GWG predictably showed up to cause trouble, signed up right away and sent me a bunch of PMs about it. I discretely responded via PM that I wasn't going to allow him into the game because too often when he was around, my threads ended up locked. He didn't take that well, and took to the thread to whine and complain to everyone about what an unreasonable, unfair dictator I was. Exactly as expected, others in the thread responded and it started degenerating into a flamewar.

So I didn't say a thing and simply reported him. Toady ended it.

That was my final confrontation with GWG.

Interestingly, while I no longer see any of GWG's messages in my inbox, I do find this little gem from his tag-team insult-and-complain partner during the changeling broodlords thread:

Oh, nice. I hope losing all that effort you put into the game will teach you to be a better mod next time

That's from a person I won't name, but who very interestingly has a five year old account with nearly 6000 posts that oh-so-coincidentally was registered within several months of GWG's and that went inactive within two days of his ban.

Again, I think his MO was to make a nuisance of himself to make people angry so that he could report the people who got angry at him. I think he used alts and deliberately trolled threads to get them locked, I think he was good at it and I think he enjoyed it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:42 pm »

EDIT: And the reason VN wasn't shut down wasn't because it was stupid (which it was, but instead of keeping the stupid there it just spilled onto the other boards) but because of one woman who took the time to just constantly post shota (Japanese young boy hentai) there constantly. Toady's choice was to close the board and ban her or to get v& by the FBI, which I think is fair enough.

Uh, no? I mean I assume she got banned and her posts deleted. I don't remember this person (I stayed away from the hentai on VN) but the FBI didn't say "To make sure this never happens again this needs to be split up into more specific sub-forums." Toady changed VN because it consistently had tons of shitty posts over a long period and was spreading to other parts of the forum.

????

If you're a web host and you don't have a very dedicated legal team (see: 8chan), you are not going to allow stuff like what she was posting. I don't know about US law, but depictions of it are completely illegal in the UK.

I'm pretty sure the United States has freedom of the press. It's one of the declining number of things that still makes us great.
There are limits to the First Amendment.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2015, 11:44:17 pm »

For what it's worth, I originally came here for LCS, not DF.
Huh.  That's an anomaly.

I originally came here for the DF Community Games board specifically, then slowly worked my way into the other upper boards, then snuck down into the lower boards courtesy of the mafia subforum.

The path I took to get to this forum is actually incredibly convoluted, but traces back incredibly nicely to the origin of me not being allowed to play Runescape as a 10-year-old.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:32 pm »

one outright deleted
I always assumed you called that orbital strike in yourself. Was that The Toad himself deciding it wasn't worth the effort?

Unfortunately I don't even know the full story because I wasn't even around for the final few hours, but I assure you I most definitely did not ask for that thread to be deleted.

My version of the story is that after spending literally over 10 hours designing an incredibly complicated forum game ruleset, GWG basically didn't like my rulings as GM, and spent several pages arguing with me, telling me that I, the GM of the game...was wrong. So I told him if he didn't like it, he didn't have to play, but to stop cluttering up the thread with complaints. To which he responded with a couple more pages of complaints where roughly every second post was from him, and it was massively interfering with the game itself. Eventually I locked the thread, with intent to unlock it after things had cooled down. And then I went to bed.

The following day I had a warning in my inbox from Toady and the game thread had been replaced by a comment from Toady stating that both the game thread and its OOC thread, as well as a third "related thread" had all been deleted. What "third thread" you ask? I don't know. I never posted in it, I never saw it. But from what I gather, after I locked the game thread, GWG created a new thread solely for the purpose of resuming his flame war, possibly with one of his alt accounts. I don't even know. I never saw it. But whatever it was, the result was that my threads I'd invested a lot of time into were deleted.

So somewhere in there Toady offered some advice on how to deal with GWG in the future: just ignore him and report his posts. So the next game I created, GWG predictably showed up to cause trouble, signed up right away and sent me a bunch of PMs about it. I discretely responded via PM that I wasn't going to allow him into the game because too often when he was around, my threads ended up locked. He didn't take that well, and took to the thread to whine and complain to everyone about what an unreasonable, unfair dictator I was. Exactly as expected, others in the thread responded and it started degenerating into a flamewar.

So I didn't say a thing and simply reported him. Toady ended it.

That was my final confrontation with GWG.

Interestingly, while I no longer see any of GWG's messages in my inbox, I do find this little gem from his tag-team insult-and-complain partner during the changeling broodlords thread:

Oh, nice. I hope losing all that effort you put into the game will teach you to be a better mod next time

That's from a person I won't name, but who very interestingly has a five year old account with nearly 6000 posts that oh-so-coincidentally was registered within several months of GWG's and that went inactive within two days of his ban.

Again, I think his MO was to make a nuisance of himself to make people angry so that he could report the people who got angry at him. I think he used alts and deliberately trolled threads to get them locked, I think he was good at it and I think he enjoyed it.

While I remember the incident, and what you said is reason for suspicion, my experience with him comes off as more being incredibly inept at thinking things through or thinking he could possibly be in the wrong than a malicious troll, and from some things he said in messages people brought to the forum immediately after his banning I question if alt accounts ever even occurred to him considering he complained that he couldn't even view the forum interior after being banned.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:51:07 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2015, 11:51:22 pm »

????

There are limits to the First Amendment.

Yes, but provided that it doesn't violate copyright and isn't libelous, I don't think there's limits to what you can draw in a cartoon. Unlike in the UK, or worse in the fascist regime that rules Australia.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2015, 11:53:18 pm »

Jebus Bohandas cool it with your judgements of other people's governments.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2015, 11:57:13 pm »

Yeah, really. You realize we have Australians here, right?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2015, 11:57:44 pm »

I think those would actually agree the most, though.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:38 am »

While I remember the incident, and what you said is reason for suspicion, my experience with him comes off as more being incredibly inept at thinking things through or thinking he could possibly be in the wrong than a malicious troll, and from some things he said in messages to the forum after his banning I question if alt accounts ever even occurred to him considering he complained that he couldn't even view the forum interior after being banned.

That's possible.

But whether he was deliberately malicious, or simply both inept and terribly persistent, I've found that my experience on bay12 is noticeably more pleasant for his absence. I've had heated arguments with others here, but GWG was so consistently a problem that there was a time that every time I created a thread, I was dreading the inevitable moment of his coming in to argue and complain.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2015, 12:06:32 am »

I think those would actually agree the most, though.

It's pretty terrible here. I mean, apparently great compared to the rest of the world, but I can't imagine many nations not being great compared to some of the terrible places humans have to live on Earth.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:18 am »

While I remember the incident, and what you said is reason for suspicion, my experience with him comes off as more being incredibly inept at thinking things through or thinking he could possibly be in the wrong than a malicious troll, and from some things he said in messages to the forum after his banning I question if alt accounts ever even occurred to him considering he complained that he couldn't even view the forum interior after being banned.

That's possible.

But whether he was deliberately malicious, or simply both inept and terribly persistent, I've found that my experience on bay12 is noticeably more pleasant for his absence. I've had heated arguments with others here, but GWG was so consistently a problem that there was a time that every time I created a thread, I was dreading the inevitable moment of his coming in to argue and complain.

Mm, I concur on that point, but I'm in agreement with Furtuka. He came off as one of those people who couldn't let himself be wrong, couldn't drop anything, and couldn't stop himself from speaking when he really shouldn't. It was helpful in the rare instances where he knew exactly what he was talking about, but most of the time it was unintentional flamebaiting. It didn't help that he had several excessively loyal friends.

In any case, it's in the past, though this has been an interesting bit of reflection. I honestly can't say that I've personally interacted with more than one or two people who were genuinely trolling rather than just argumentative and stubborn on B12 (obvious ones spamming shock images &c. aside). It's easy to ascribe things to maliciousness when there's the filter of a screen between you and the person you're talking to, after all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9