Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Did something happen to GWG?  (Read 15649 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Did something happen to GWG?
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2015, 12:36:58 am »

It's weird to see all the things that happened with GWG, because he and I never really got into conflict. Which is good, because if he's as stubborn as claimed it would be like the collision of two unstoppable forces for him to get in an argument with me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2015, 12:40:11 am »

I liked his forum games.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2015, 12:41:55 am »

It's weird to see all the things that happened with GWG, because he and I never really got into conflict. Which is good, because if he's as stubborn as claimed it would be like the collision of two unstoppable forces for him to get in an argument with me.
Yeah, his arguments would ... they'd stretch for 20+ pages if you let them.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2015, 12:46:08 am »

While I remember the incident, and what you said is reason for suspicion, my experience with him comes off as more being incredibly inept at thinking things through or thinking he could possibly be in the wrong than a malicious troll, and from some things he said in messages to the forum after his banning I question if alt accounts ever even occurred to him considering he complained that he couldn't even view the forum interior after being banned.

That's possible.

But whether he was deliberately malicious, or simply both inept and terribly persistent, I've found that my experience on bay12 is noticeably more pleasant for his absence. I've had heated arguments with others here, but GWG was so consistently a problem that there was a time that every time I created a thread, I was dreading the inevitable moment of his coming in to argue and complain.

So he's essentially the latest Nikov?

Culminating in a punch in the face? (Did I use that maymay right?)
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2015, 12:48:27 am »

While I remember the incident, and what you said is reason for suspicion, my experience with him comes off as more being incredibly inept at thinking things through or thinking he could possibly be in the wrong than a malicious troll, and from some things he said in messages to the forum after his banning I question if alt accounts ever even occurred to him considering he complained that he couldn't even view the forum interior after being banned.

That's possible.

But whether he was deliberately malicious, or simply both inept and terribly persistent, I've found that my experience on bay12 is noticeably more pleasant for his absence. I've had heated arguments with others here, but GWG was so consistently a problem that there was a time that every time I created a thread, I was dreading the inevitable moment of his coming in to argue and complain.
Agreed that things are better off now. Though it's kinda funny, at the same time I sometimes miss him just for the sake of having an opponent where I could feel his upcoming fall. Like I knew he would slip up someday, and now any problems I have here are too minor/smart to be fixed I guess? I dunno, tis a strange feeling. Might be influenced by nostalgia from the days before he went crazy. I feel that his behavior's partially our (as in, us as a forum) fault because of people spreading memes about him being the only sane man that he eventually started taking seriously and people deferring to him thanks to his postcount. All of which just fed into his ego and... well you know the rest.

Huh... in self reflection maybe this is why I've felt so hostile to people trying to make memes of themselves these days. Eh oh well.

That's possible.

So he's essentially the latest Nikov?

Culminating in a punch in the face? (Did I use that maymay right?)

That would be MZ you're thinking of, MSH's time traveling future self :V
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:59:04 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2015, 12:51:25 am »

Damn, I always get the two confused.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2015, 01:25:24 am »

I agree with LordBucket here. *shrug*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 01:53:39 am »

Slightly off-topic, but it's rather shit that certain topics are essentially banned because some people just don't seem to be able to avoid losing it and hurling abuse at others who disagree with them politically. They're very specific topics, too.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 02:00:19 am »

Yeah, I'm actually working on making a forum specifically for heavyweight discussions. I'd be happy to host most any discussion you want once I have it ready for testing. I'll be moderating it with my ow rules, of course, which will likely be very thorough - as in, personal insults of any type are completely out. But I won't lock a thread just cause people can't handle it, I'll simply ban those people.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 02:05:06 am »

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about Toady's moderating. People can sometimes get away with insulting others, or even their entire opposition as subhumans, literal terrorists, supporters of [insert blatantly immoral and/or criminal act here], etc. and not get banned, but the threads will be locked. In the last few months this has happened at least two or three times in large threads.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:19:53 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2015, 02:50:29 am »

I came for the funny df fort stories, I stayed for playing ER. Don't know if there's a forum game quite like it somewhere else.

Boiling  it down, it is a Roll to Dodge.  It just exploded to massive scale.

It's a bit more to me though. I mean, we have our own irc/plug (though we don't use it that ofen lately), organize a movie night at times, our own little memes and a regularly updated wiki. It's like its own mini sub-community within b12, a group of friends who all happen to associate through the game.

And I've never seen another rtd where I'm allowed to do some of the things you can do in ER.

About gwg: I had noticed when he started to become more of a problem than an addition to the forum, and once confronted him about it when he displayed the behaviour in an er thread that got him banned. I asked him if he had stuff going on in RL he had trouble dealing with, and that seemed to be the case. That might not be the sole cause, and it certainly doesn't justify anything, but still. I always feel like there was a change he could've turned around and become the fun person again I knew from before.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:55:27 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2015, 02:51:31 am »

It is a very ... mature RTD.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2015, 03:47:05 am »

That's possible.

Mm, I concur on that point, but I'm in agreement with Furtuka. He came off as one of those people who couldn't let himself be wrong, couldn't drop anything, and couldn't stop himself from speaking when he really shouldn't. It was helpful in the rare instances where he knew exactly what he was talking about, but most of the time it was unintentional flamebaiting. It didn't help that he had several excessively loyal friends.

In any case, it's in the past, though this has been an interesting bit of reflection. I honestly can't say that I've personally interacted with more than one or two people who were genuinely trolling rather than just argumentative and stubborn on B12 (obvious ones spamming shock images &c. aside). It's easy to ascribe things to maliciousness when there's the filter of a screen between you and the person you're talking to, after all.

I like to abide by Hanlon's Razor: "Never ascribe to maliciousness what can be adequetely explained by stupidity"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:49 am »

Hehe, but then it wouldn't take much to deceive.
I'll miss the pyramids I built with the guy, was kinda enjoyable. Served as a good way to thoroughly explore a topic too.
About the maliciousness-
I kinda suspected him of having a mild disorder. The secondary account(s?) is(are) suspicious, but garnering friends is just as possible, (in fact I'd say it's pretty likely when you're as prolific as GWG was), and they'd be understandably upset afterwards. My impression is he'd go into the thread determined to participate, start the trouble & then have no problems reporting them if they 'deserved' it. I don't think he was/is an account-hopping flame-baiting mastermind.

Btw, thread's been informative, thanks for the posts!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 08:44:05 am »

All this talk about what we all thought about GWG made me wonder what people think about me O.o
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9