Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Did something happen to GWG?  (Read 15656 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Did something happen to GWG?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2015, 01:43:38 pm »

From what I've heard, the Toad has only ever repealed two bans, and one of those people had their account hacked or something so they weren't actually responsible.  The other one, I'm not as sure about, that was Roc_cuiriousbeast_eater or whatever his name is.  I hesitate to speculate on that one out loud, but I do have my theories about why he got his ban repealed.
No, I think he just had a mute or something.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2015, 01:54:39 pm »

The roaming thread fortress was dumb.  All of VN was painfully dumb and by the time it was finally removed it was wall to wall shitposting.

It's strange times. I remember when the forum looked like bread mold.  Now I don't know anybody and half the people here I don't think have ever played Dwarf Fortress.
Shoes...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2015, 01:59:24 pm »

The roaming thread fortress was dumb.  All of VN was painfully dumb and by the time it was finally removed it was wall to wall shitposting.

It's strange times. I remember when the forum looked like bread mold.  Now I don't know anybody and half the people here I don't think have ever played Dwarf Fortress.

You're getting old gramps.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2015, 02:09:08 pm »

...Let me check something.

* Tawarochir checks the thing.

4 of the 10 top posters on the forum started using the forum for completely Dwarf Fortress-unrelated reasons.
...and half the people here I don't think have ever played Dwarf Fortress.
Not unfounded fears, that's for sure.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2015, 02:13:02 pm »

I think its more accurate to say that 1 out of the top ten posters have never posted in the DF related upper boards. Lurking is a thing after all.
It's FEF, not FEOF

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2015, 02:28:16 pm »

My understanding is that the high post counts some people have is from the forum game section, so it would make sense that those people are the least likely to have come to this site through DF.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 02:56:43 pm »

I still don't understand the people that came to this forum SPECIFICALLY for anything other than the main focuses. There's places all over the Internet more focused towards forum rp, mafia, RTDs and other things... Why is this place so attractive if you don't have interest in the rest of it?

And don't go saying it's the community or the environment, since we're not any more behaved or intelligent than the average medium sized online community.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »

The TV Tropes pages help with the advertising.
Besides that, the main reason I stuck around was because there was a lot of experienced GMs and there was always willing participants. I've been in roleplay forums. They're either underpopulated, weird, elitist, or an unholy combination of those last three. That's from a primarily gamemastering perspective though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2015, 02:59:32 pm »

I assume if a friend is running a forum game in the forum games section, and it's got players, that's a pretty big enticement for their friends to sign up and participate. Rather than heading to a forum found off google by searching for "mafia game" and trying to integrate.

And don't go saying it's the community or the environment, since we're not any more behaved or intelligent than the average medium sized online community.

The forum has the right mix of active moderation and self-policing, which I think makes it an inviting place to register an account and dip your toe in the community.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:20 pm »

...since we're not any more behaved or intelligent than the average medium sized online community.
I'd say that we're kind of small, really. There's usually a couple hundred people on at once, tops, and most of the lowerboard community is a lot of the same faces.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2015, 03:03:18 pm »

Yep. There's a new group of users who came here and basically do nothing except constantly post in half the FG&RP threads. They're doing their thing, and it's one more good reason for why postcount is irrelevant and I'm damned glad that it's not displayed. I remember exactly the sort of poisonous lackey-syndrome behavior that that encourages from other places.

I've seen older B12Gers post shit like links to their paedophilic erotica, generally stupid content and flamebait and nothing has happened to them.
[citation needed]

And newer members getting banned more often is just correlation, not causation. People who do banworthy stuff don't last long enough to become established members of a community.
+1

But if some people are unhappy with this forum, they can always go to that pony forum where all pony-discussion went.
Dsarker stopped showing up years ago, and I haven't done any admining (or even visited) for nearly as long, ever since I got fed up with the fandom and the quality of the program going to shit and stopped caring. Heh, after that effort into the Halloween story petered out, it was basically just a handful of forum games (and Neptune's Pride) mixed with story snippets and constant posting of a really excellent jimmy-rustler silverback in response to everything.

So yeah, it's basically dead. If you want an independent forum because ??, gotta make one yourself.

I still don't understand the people that came to this forum SPECIFICALLY for anything other than the main focuses. There's places all over the Internet more focused towards forum rp, mafia, RTDs and other things... Why is this place so attractive if you don't have interest in the rest of it?

B12 is still one of the largest and most active communities for RTDs and Mafia. Not necessarily the largest or most active for either (though IIRC it's close; the only other place I can think of that compares for RTDs is TVTropes). It's established, active, and has new games pop up almost on a daily basis, with a broad enough focus that you can find most of what you're looking for. A lot of other places for RP and gaming are more oriented around CYOA-style questing rather than multiplayer stuff, or specifically for established tabletop games.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »

I came for the funny df fort stories, I stayed for playing ER. Don't know if there's a forum game quite like it somewhere else.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:27 pm »

Pfffff...
Have you actually played Dwarf Fortress yet?

'Cos far as I remember you hadn't played it for the first... 5 years of bein' here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 09:19:11 pm »

From what I've heard, the Toad has only ever repealed two bans, and one of those people had their account hacked or something so they weren't actually responsible.  The other one, I'm not as sure about, that was Roc_cuiriousbeast_eater or whatever his name is.  I hesitate to speculate on that one out loud, but I do have my theories about why he got his ban repealed.
No, I think he just had a mute or something.
Roc did actually receive a ban, if only temporarily.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 09:22:36 pm »

I came for the funny df fort stories, I stayed for playing ER. Don't know if there's a forum game quite like it somewhere else.

Boiling  it down, it is a Roll to Dodge.  It just exploded to massive scale.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9