Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 120012 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Waking up from under the healers' ministrations, one of the junior healers informed Mirella as she was leaving that Eadyan had been asking for her.  Mirella thanked him, and leaving the room, went to search for the priest. 

Rest: Spend both hit dice

After: Meet with Eadyan

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use One resting HD. Afterwards, Arwen and his new pet go track down the young human.

"Hey kid. Heard you were looking for someone."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Johanna: 2+3, 5+3, total of 8 HP regained. Currently maxed at 9/18 HP.
Mirella: 4+3, 8+3, total of 18 HP regained. Currently maxed at 19 HP.
Arwen: 6+2, 8 HP regained. Currently at 16/20.

Johanna just tries to sleep, unless someone visits her.
After your care, the healers leave you be, but sleep doesn't come easily, from a combination of the pain and the stiff nature of the table you're lying on, despite the fact that the healers brought you a pillow and blanket. Your thoughts drift as you struggle to sleep amid the quiet chaos of the healing ward, until you hear small footsteps stop next to you. Your eyes flutter open and come to rest on a young dwarf girl peering up at you with wide eyes. A quick glance around the room reveals that her parents are nearby, quietly talking with a wounded dwarven villager.
"Mommy and Daddy said that you saved us from the temple. Before you came, it was scary, with the bad people banging on the door, trying to get in. Mommy told me to pray, and Moradin would save us. Are you an angel?"

The old half elf is wandering through the crowd of townsfolk, exchanging words of condolence and comfort. Once he sees you, he beckons you over, changing course to meet you. Once the two of you have meet halfway, he leads you towards the keep.
"Thank you for meeting me. I can see that you are a cleric of Selūne, and for us of the faith, there is little we can do once our magic runs out, besides pray. These people need all the help they can get, including that of the gods. Will you pray with me?"

Arwen and his new pet go track down the young human.

"Hey kid. Heard you were looking for someone."
The young man was sitting on a bench facing the main gate, anxiously bouncing his knee up and down, but with the small jump he gives when you disturb him indicates that he was clearly lost in his own thoughts.
"Yes, my master, Leosin Erlanthar. We're monks from Berdusk -or at least he is; I'm still training. We got separated in a particually intense battle and I haven't seen him since. I knew that you four were skirmishing, so I thought you might have seen him. He's a half-elf with brown hair, average height and build..."
He trails off, looking hopeful.

Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Johanna didn't really know what to do with children, since she had never been one herself. She sat up in bed, hand on her forehead. She was still exhausted from her casting...it was more than simple drowsiness. Johanna had burned some vital part of her self to power the illusion spell, and it would take time to fully recover...she knew that Wizards tended to accumulate these sorts of scars over time-they tended to visibly age faster than normal, looking older and more 'wizened' as time went on-though they usually didn't live much longer or shorter than normal. It was a worrying thought, to be sure-she prided herself on her looks-but Johanna put the whole line of thinking away for another time...

She looked down at the Dwarfling.

"...Hah. I'm no Angel-just a Dwarf, like you, wee lass. Maybe the Gods sent me anyway, but it's not for us to know. All I know is I chose to be here, to do the right thing...aye, the hard thing...

What's yer name, girl?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

The old half elf is wandering through the crowd of townsfolk, exchanging words of condolence and comfort. Once he sees you, he beckons you over, changing course to meet you. Once the two of you have meet halfway, he leads you towards the keep.
"Thank you for meeting me. I can see that you are a cleric of Selūne, and for us of the faith, there is little we can do once our magic runs out, besides pray. These people need all the help they can get, including that of the gods. Will you pray with me?"
As she walked out into the crowds, searching for Eadyan, Mirella kept looking up at skies overcast with smoke from the burning city.  She wasn't used to being so powerless, so unable to help.  She was decent with a healing kit, but she worked mostly on intuition rather than formal education, which was thoroughly inadequate for the needs of the healers.  She was educated in both history and a broad spectrum of faiths, but that knowledge did her little good here and now.  With the little divine power she could channel from her goddess largely exhausted through the myriad strains of the day, what was she?  She had her staff and her shield, but she could only protect the people nearest her, as the rest of the city continued to suffer.  It was...rather frustrating, she reflected inwardly, but she would need to take the lessons of the day to heart.  Perhaps, after meeting Eadyan, she could return to the healers, to work rather than rest...

Her thoughts were interrupted as she saw Eadyan, aiding the people here as best he could.  His question pierced through to the heart of the matter, and she nodded somberly, letting none of her feelings show.  He was right, after all; at a time like this, it would help the spirit as well as the body to seek out the gods.  "Certainly, I would be pleased to pray with you for a time."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:45:19 am by Culise »

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen shook his head and looked at the kid. "Haven't seen him yet. But I'm going back out soon. You're welcome to come with, on two conditions. You can handle yourself in a fight, and you will do EXACTLY as I say." He puts his hand on the hilt of his blade, grinning. "If not, just wait here, and I'll go find him myself."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"...Hah. I'm no Angel-just a Dwarf, like you, wee lass. Maybe the Gods sent me anyway, but it's not for us to know. All I know is I chose to be here, to do the right thing...aye, the hard thing...

What's yer name, girl?"

"Runida Strongfoot, miss. My da said you weren't an angel," and judging from the grimace that passes over her diminuative face, she dislikes the idea of being wrong while her father is right, "and that you're an adventurer. I've heard lots of stories about adventurers, but my favorite is about Dolhad Oakbeard. Are you going to kill the dragon like him?"
Dolhad Oakbeard is a Dwarven folk hero who supposedly tricked a dragon into trapping itself inside its cavernous lair, after which, he proceeded to slay the pinned beast.

Her thoughts were interrupted as she saw Eadyan, aiding the people here as best he could.  His question pierced through to the heart of the matter, and she nodded somberly, letting none of her feelings show.  He was right, after all; at a time like this, it would help the spirit as well as the body to seek out the gods.  "Certainly, I would be pleased to pray with you for a time."
He leads to you a small chapel in the keep. The chapel is a slightly lavish affair, a few pews facing an altar arrayed with small but intricate shrines to many of the major deities of the region, backed by a beautiful stained glass window depicting the creation of the world and the gods. You both light the candles around the room and set alight the incense in each shrine. He kneels before the altar and begins to pray quietly, but his voice fills the chapel.
"Gods of these realms, hear the prayers of Greenest. Show them your mercy so that they main serve you in deed, thought and prayer.  Grant them your protection from death this day." His voice drops to a whisper, but it still rings clear in the silence of the chapel, full of passion and anger. "Grant them the protection I can no longer give."
He falls silent, and the quiet implies that it is your turn.

Arwen shook his head and looked at the kid. "Haven't seen him yet. But I'm going back out soon. You're welcome to come with, on two conditions. You can handle yourself in a fight, and you will do EXACTLY as I say." He puts his hand on the hilt of his blade, grinning. "If not, just wait here, and I'll go find him myself."
The young man looks nervous and grips quarterstaff he carries tightly. "I'm not sure how much use I will be in a fight; I'm still in training. Tonight was my first real battle." His face grows dark for a second. He's probably remembering that engagement and all the emotions that come with your first life-or-death scenario.
He looks back up at you, his face set in deterimination and a fire in his eye. "I'm ready for another round."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen grins broadly and claps the monkling on the shoulder! "That's the kind of answer I like to hear! My name is Arwen Dunwood. We'll find your master. You just gotta be prepared that the answer we find might not be a pleasant one." His smile fades a bit. "We'll look for my companions in a bit. For now, I'm starving, and fighting on an empty stomach is not a good idea.... Let's try to find some food."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I suppose I might have to. That's what adventurers do...we deal with the evil monsters. We make sure wee little lasses sleep safe at night. And their mum's and da's.

...You know, it's ironic, though. One of my best friends is a Dragon. My mentor. She taught me everything I know of magic. She's a Good Dragon...which might be a concept a trifle hard for you to wrap your little head around, understandably..."
Johanna says, her eyes fluttering.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

He leads to you a small chapel in the keep. The chapel is a slightly lavish affair, a few pews facing an altar arrayed with small but intricate shrines to many of the major deities of the region, backed by a beautiful stained glass window depicting the creation of the world and the gods. You both light the candles around the room and set alight the incense in each shrine. He kneels before the altar and begins to pray quietly, but his voice fills the chapel.
"Gods of these realms, hear the prayers of Greenest. Show them your mercy so that they main serve you in deed, thought and prayer.  Grant them your protection from death this day." His voice drops to a whisper, but it still rings clear in the silence of the chapel, full of passion and anger. "Grant them the protection I can no longer give."
He falls silent, and the quiet implies that it is your turn.
Her voice was quiet but firm, with no trace of indecision or fear.  "Gods above, we pray here that you may hear the words of our flocks, of those whom we serve and aid.  We ask that you shield these innocents, those who have been set upon here, those who have reached the safety of this keep and those in the city who yet still survive beyond our walls.  Grant them the strength of will to carry on in these dark hours, that it may reach their hearts to fight against whatever evils may yet come, and watch over us as we stand against our foes, come what may." 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen grins broadly and claps the monkling on the shoulder! "That's the kind of answer I like to hear! My name is Arwen Dunwood. We'll find your master. You just gotta be prepared that the answer we find might not be a pleasant one." His smile fades a bit. "We'll look for my companions in a bit. For now, I'm starving, and fighting on an empty stomach is not a good idea.... Let's try to find some food."
The governor's kitchen staff are handing out food to the refugees, but since they've been here for a while, there's no line. You get yourself a bowl of lukewarm, watery stew and a chunk of bread. The monk-in-training doesn't get anything, citing nerves. The stew might not be tasty, but it's filling. You're chewing on the last of the tough bread when you hear a great roar like the sky is tearing itself apart.
"I suppose I might have to. That's what adventurers do...we deal with the evil monsters. We make sure wee little lasses sleep safe at night. And their mum's and da's.

...You know, it's ironic, though. One of my best friends is a Dragon. My mentor. She taught me everything I know of magic. She's a Good Dragon...which might be a concept a trifle hard for you to wrap your little head around, understandably..."
Johanna says, her eyes fluttering.
Runida bows her head in thought for a moment. The thought of dragons helping and teaching adventurers instead of eating them is a big idea, and it's hard for her to wrap her young mind around it quite yet.
"I... I think that when I'm big, I'm going to leave Greenest and find your Dragon friend so I can give her a great, big hug."
The little Dwarf looks up at you, for a moment. Then, a roar that sounds like it was ripped from the mouth of volcano rattles the bones of the keep. Runida dives underneath your table for cover as stone dust falls from the ceiling.

Her voice was quiet but firm, with no trace of indecision or fear.  "Gods above, we pray here that you may hear the words of our flocks, of those whom we serve and aid.  We ask that you shield these innocents, those who have been set upon here, those who have reached the safety of this keep and those in the city who yet still survive beyond our walls.  Grant them the strength of will to carry on in these dark hours, that it may reach their hearts to fight against whatever evils may yet come, and watch over us as we stand against our foes, come what may." 
"Amen."
Eadwen and you look up at the altars once more, and the stained glass window beyond it. Through it, you can make out the clouds parting slightly in the sky, and moonlight streams in, illuminating you and the altars. In the silvery light, the statuettes of the gods look they're smiling. It's a very peaceful scene, a wonderful break from the horrors of the night.
But then, a great winged shadow swoops between you and the moon, shattering the serenity of the place with a deafening roar.

The dragon is attacking!

Map.
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Johanna let out a long sigh, slowly rising from her bed. She picked up her hammer from a nearby table and hefted it

"...Ah, quit yer rumbling, yer scaly rat, I'm coming, I'm coming..." She muttered. "Runida, you go find yer parents and get to a safe place...."

She trudged toward the battlements.

((Action TBD))

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Mirella stood up as she looked out at the moon through the stained glass.  "I apologize, but I had best be going.  Please, watch over everyone, and stay safe." 

Mirella picked up her quarterstaff from where she had stood it against the wall beside the chapel door, stepping out .  Beside the door, just finishing his last bites, she saw Arwen, Sweetpea was near the main gate, and Johanna just coming out of the tower where the healers had been working.  "Is everyone ready?" she asked simply. 

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A wild grin spreads across Arwen's face. "Alright kid. Follow me."

Arwen sprints to the ladders and climbs up, then shouts at the Dragon!

<"OI! WHY'RE YOU ATTACKING THIS PLACE?!>

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A little over an hour ago, Sweetpea was standing the the keep courtyard, while her companions were being cared for in the keep. She's got about an hour to kill until they are back in action, so she surveys the area for anything interesting to do. A group of about 6 grimy looking human teenagers stand out to you in crowd. They seem to be putting on tough faces, but you can spot the face of a street kid pretending to be tough a mile off. The guards are giving them the stink eye. Other than them, the only other people to catch your eye are a few men and women, richly dressed... as they say, old habits die hard...

In the present...
Johanna let out a long sigh, slowly rising from her bed. She picked up her hammer from a nearby table and hefted it
"...Ah, quit yer rumbling, yer scaly rat, I'm coming, I'm coming..." She muttered. "Runida, you go find yer parents and get to a safe place...."
From behind you, Runida's parent call out to her and it sounds like they get to cover. You don't check, because it hurts to look over your shoulder.
Mirella stood up as she looked out at the moon through the stained glass.  "I apologize, but I had best be going.  Please, watch over everyone, and stay safe."
Eadwen slowly pulls himself to his feet. "I will do my best. May the gods be with us all."
A wild grin spreads across Arwen's face. "Alright kid. Follow me."

Arwen sprints to the ladders and climbs up, then shouts at the Dragon!

<"OI! WHY'RE YOU ATTACKING THIS PLACE?!>
The monkling looks at you with complete disbelief written over his face. "You wa- bu- uh- Fine. Let's go kill a dragon, you crazy bastard. I didn't like living anyway."
A quick-thinking guard is handing out crossbows to the defenders swarming up the ladders, so you get handed one.
Your pet Ambush Drake is sensibly cowering from the dragon.

The dragon's voice bellows out a great heaving sound, which might be how it laughs, and then speaks in a voice that makes your whole body shake.

Spoiler: Draconic (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 94