Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 120000 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the present...
(Attack Roll: 12+6)
Luck and skill drives the elf's arrow towards the dragon's dinnerplate-sized eye, but it lands just an inch to the left.

Another flurry of bolts are let fly by the guards, and a couple find their mark, piercing the wyrm's thick hide.

The dragon swoops around the keep's tower, still flying low, at the level of the crenelations.

What is everyone doing?

Map.
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

Damage dealt to the dragon: 18

A little over an hour ago, what was Sweetpea doing?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

"...ah, to the Nine Hells with this! Magic Missile never fails!" Johanna said defiantly, summoning up her last reserves of magic for a ferocious volley of missiles!

Action: I Magic Missile the Dragon!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:34:04 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

"Alright, I think I've got it this time."  Reloading the crossbow, Mirella aimed and fired at the dragon as it swung around the east side of the keep. 

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen's gonna mount the Dragon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Damage roll: 4+1, 4+1, 4+1! MAX DAMAGE)
Johanna smiles as she hears three hearty collisions of force against dragonscale and a roar of pain.

(Attack roll: 12+2)
Mirella's bolt flew much straighter, and hit the dragon in the neck, but it bounced off. Next time, maybe?

Arwen judges the distance he has to jump with some apprehension tinging his adrenaline. If he jumps from Y15, he'd have to jump 30 feet. He can easily jump 18 feet, if he has a running start, and 24 if he tries, but he'd have to be lucky to make it that far. And the ground is pretty far down... (Jumping rules)
Alternatively, he could ready an action to jump on it as it swoops around.

What is Sweetpea doing, both in the present and the past? And what will Arwen decide to do?

Map.

Damage dealt to the dragon: 33

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen will prep his action to jump on the dragon when it gets closer. No sense hitting the ground early...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen adjusts his positioning, sheathes his sword, and drops to a runner's stance in preparation for launching himself.

What is Sweetpea doing, both in the present and the past?

Map.

Damage dealt to the dragon: 33

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Present: same action as before

past: go somewhere quiet and press the button!

((sorry for the delay))
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the present...

(Attack roll: 12+6, Failure!)
Sweetpea's arrow seems to get lodged in between two of the dragon's scales. So close, but yet, so far.

As the dragon swoops around the corner of the keep, Arwen hurls himself into the air. For a moment, he hangs in the air, and the eyes of the defenders follow his flight through the air...
(Acrobatics check to avoid landing prone: 13+1, Success!)
He lands with a grunt, grabbing one of the spines that mark the wyrm's back with one hand, and drawing his sword in the other. A cheer goes up from ranks of the defenders.

The dragon in question, however, is not quite as thrilled about its new passenger, and roars its disapproval to the sky.
Spoiler: Draconic (click to show/hide)
It bucks, trying to throw the would-be-dragon-slayer off...
(Opposed Athletics check: The dragon's ... is equal to 22 vs. Arwen's 10+6, Dragon wins the check.)
Arwen is thrown off the dragon's back, and lands on the roof of a thatched cottage outside of the keep.
(Falling damage: 20 feet fallen, so 2d6: 4+4, 8 damage!)
He stares, dazed at the dragon as it flies away.

The dragon has been driven away!

You all gain 50 XP! That should put you at 895 XP! 5 left till level 3!

Arwen dejectedly returns to the keep, and the Governor calls the party up to the main gate. The sky is beginning to light up again, blue and red mixing with the black.
"The people of Greenest thank you for your help tonight, adventurers. However, the night is not over yet. They might make one more assault-"
On cue, a guard shouts out a warning, drawing attention to movement out in front of the gate.

From the darkness, a creature strides into the dim light of the dying fires around the keep. Although it is shaped roughly like a human, it is at least seven feet tall, its skin is covered in blue scales, its fingers bear wicked claws, and its face has the muzzle and reptilian eyes of a dragon. The creature stops about eighty yards from the main gate of the keep and scans the walls. A line of kobolds fans out behind it. With their spears, they prod four human prisoners into the dim light. You can make out a woman, a teenage boy in a blood-soaked tunic, and two children.
"Defenders of Greenest! This has been a successful night, and I am feeling generous. Do you see these four pitiful, useless prisoners? We have no need for them, so I will trade them back to you. Send out your best warrior to fight me, and you can have these four in exchange."
A shout comes up from one of the defenders. The guard in question starts to storm towards the nearest ladder, but his colleagues hold him back.
"That's my sister and her children! Let go of me, and that's an order!"
"Sergeant, you'll get cut down!"
The Governor turns to you with a sad look on his face, and says "That's Sergeant Markguth. My friends, you've demonstrated your prowess all through this frightful night. I realize this is an awful burden to ask you to bear, but any of you has a better chance to defeat that horror than my militia do."

A little over an hour ago...
Sweetpea, in her quiet corner, pushes the button and a song fills the air around her. She feels at peace, and safe... The song feels strangely familiar, like she had heard it in a dream, long ago...
Her daydream is interrupted by a shout from the rich folk. The one who's pocket she picked is storming towards the nearest guard, while shouting and pointing... at the group of urchins. Looks like she's in the clear.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:34:45 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen grins, the adrenaline of the coming fight surging through his body. He was gonna ENJOY this. He looked to the party, and the governor, nodding. "I'm FAIRLY certain I can handle this, but just in case, have everyone who's decent with a bow on the wall. If I go down, I want a STORM of arrows coming down with me. Sweetpea, if you see a chance to sneak up and do some sneaky stuff, and it's SAFE, I'd appreciate it. Everyone else is exhausted, I'm probably the best shot we've got at downing this dude. So everyone else needs to stay safe." With that, he strode forward, past the main gate, standing about thirty feet from the creature before he spoke again.

"You asked for a challenge? Here I am ugly. Once those four are safely inside, I'll show you how big of a mistake you've made. I am Arwen Dunwood, Mounter of Dragons, Destroyer of Walls, and...." He grinned wildly, his voice becoming a bit more raspy as he hissed out the rest of his taunt.

<"I'm the guy who's gonna fuck you UP.">

Arwen activates his Second Wind, and draws his blade!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Health regained: 4+2)

"And I am Langdedrosa Cyanwrath, Dragonfang, son of Niadhogr the Blue and slayer of a hundred of your kind! The children will be set free when you come down, and the woman when the victor is decided, no matter who it is. The fight is till the last man stands. My kobolds will not intervene, and neither will your men. If they do, the woman dies. Do you accept these terms, Arwen Dunwood?"
Seeing Arwen draw his own weapon, he motions for a kobold to step forward, carrying a greatsword nearly twice its height. Cyanwrath effortlessly lifts it from the kobold, and rests the point in the soil by its feet, waiting for your response.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen hopped down to face the Dragonfang himself. He grinned, standing about ten feet from the overgrown newt now.

"Send the kids back now. Once they're safely inside, we'll begin our duel. Are you related to Lennithon? And are you accustomed to dueling opponents who are already injured?" He didn't mean it as an insult, just an honest question. "Not that I'd dream of asking you to hold back. That'd be no fun~"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Only distantly. My mother is his cousin, many times removed. I am accustomed to fighting humans who have a few kills under their belt and think they're ready to tangle with the big time. Worry not, Dunwood. I won't hold back."
He signals to the kobolds and they cut the bonds of the two smallest children, and they run to the keep gate as fast as their grubby little legs can carry them. Nighthill orders the guards to raise the portcullis to let them in.
"The eldest boy stays until you exit the gate."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen ducks under the portcullis, passing the children on his way out. "Don't worry. I'll save your mom."

He stands face to face with Langdedrosa now, looking him up and down. ".... Why's the boy covered in blood?" He asks, looking towards the boy and his mother. He had a feeling he wasn't going to like the answer.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He casts an idle glance over his shoulder. "Took a crossbow bolt to the arm. He'll live."
Once Arwen is about 20 yards from the keep, Cyanwrath signals his kobolds, releasing the bonds of the teenager, who dashes back to the keep. Cyanwrath meets Arwen about 50 yards from the keep, 30 yards from his kobolds. The dragon-thing rests its greatsword easily on its shoulder, dim firelight glinting off of his splint armor.
"Are you ready, Dunwood?"

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 94