Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241923 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #705 on: July 26, 2019, 11:47:33 pm »

Best way to handle the provost is forget about it until its the last thing then fire some shotgun blasts because armor reductions don't apply to shield damage then have your entire army apply stun directly to the forehead.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 26, 2019, 11:51:49 pm »

Mutant Alliance is required to get on with the game anyway. And usually you can manage to loose 300-500 points for going to a pogrom and deciding it is not worth it.
Dioxine added an option to avoid the *Mutant Alliance*, it's just kinda absurd.  The main research gate the alliance unlocks is "Sci Books", and those can be gotten from the "Database of Dr. X"... an item I presume you find at or near the end of her quest line.  Or question a Gnome, but good luck finding one of those.  In the meantime you can't build a library, so you can't even go Back to School... like I said, absurd.

It's neat that there's a choice, but I'd rather support my fellow mutants anyway :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 27, 2019, 12:35:42 am »

For knocking people out, I went with Ropes for the first few missions, then Punch!/fisticuffs (which isn't really nonfatal considering my gals could probably benchpress a tank...), which, with the stuff you're able to punch stuff to death in one hit, they're probably not too important, then briefly to Ninja Sticks, and currently Slaver's Canes. I'm liking the Slaver's Canes over all, but I don't like the 11TU (Ninja Stick is 9TU and does like 90% of the damage with near-max gals) or the 2x2 size, which is awkward to stash.

Does anybody know what that 6TU Punch! is classified as, that you get when you wear a Bikini?

Oh, and don't do City Raid missions with a pure Uber-gal team. Or at least save before you do; I found the result rather... amusing.

Dioxine added an option to avoid the *Mutant Alliance*, it's just kinda absurd.  The main research gate the alliance unlocks is "Sci Books", and those can be gotten from the "Database of Dr. X"... an item I presume you find at or near the end of her quest line.  Or question a Gnome, but good luck finding one of those.  In the meantime you can't build a library, so you can't even go Back to School... like I said, absurd.

It's neat that there's a choice, but I'd rather support my fellow mutants anyway :P

I don't think you can advance Dr. X without triggering Back to School first; do Academy Espers show up before then? I forgot I had to get the Mutant Favors trophy before advancing, so I spent a good 10 hours (which is probably equates to more than double that for most playstyles) doing random ships and missions until my entire available tech tree was finished. Including all the data disks. I didn't manage to get a single gnome in all that time, and only got a few of them after I started the Voodoo/Magic faction's missions.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 27, 2019, 12:57:44 am »

You can get academy espers before B2S, yes. Easiest source is a base assault, pick up 3 or 4 espers and a provost in one go.

The most reliable way to get sci books without mutant alliance is grab a gnome from bounty challenging Zaxx which guarantees a mission where you can cap a gnome the next month, or just push to bounty rank B and hope to spawn the mission.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 27, 2019, 01:08:12 am »

Best way to handle the provost is forget about it until its the last thing then fire some shotgun blasts because armor reductions don't apply to shield damage then have your entire army apply stun directly to the forehead.

That is no longer true. There are now 3 different shields that block damage differently. Blue shields only take 25% from piercing.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 27, 2019, 01:56:11 am »

Does anybody know what that 6TU Punch! is classified as, that you get when you wear a Bikini?

Martial Arts attacks on Gym/Swimsuits/Bikinis - like all pure melee attacks - do Daze. Per its Analysis in-game, it's 0.25 STR + 0.25 MEL at 125% armor. The ranged kick attacks (Whirlwind and Roundhouse) are 0.3*STR + 0.35*MEL at 125% (also Daze).

Oh, and don't do City Raid missions with a pure Uber-gal team. Or at least save before you do; I found the result rather... amusing.

...or make sure your Gals are all wearing Looter. This is less amusing but more practical as Looter will go anywhere but space.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 27, 2019, 04:20:31 am »

Whoops, responded to a way earlier post when I thought I loaded the most current page.
My bad.
-
How is the update schedule looking right now? I usually start over with a new version, never figured out how to properly update a save with new mission types, and I have been hankering to play recently but I feel like as soon as I get into a game an update will drop.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 04:23:06 am by deoloth »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 27, 2019, 07:33:28 am »

No schedule.

But you don't have to change anything in the save to get the new missions.
Only the last post by Dioxine in the update thread is relevant, if there is any.
So all you do is pop the save in the new install, and the options.cfg.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 27, 2019, 07:39:33 am »

Ah so the stickied Important: Upgrading Saves Between Versions thread is for older versions?

*Edit*

Oh I see. If there needs to be a save change he updates in that one.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 27, 2019, 10:36:20 am »

That is no longer true. There are now 3 different shields that block damage differently. Blue shields only take 25% from piercing.
Multipliers apply but the flat reductions from armor that make shotguns otherwise worthless don't. Shotguns with appropriately typed damage are still by far the largest amount of damage per TU you can apply.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 27, 2019, 12:06:50 pm »

Useful note: if you have a mansion invasion mission and have a Novice Robe or two lying around... it's worth the reduced inventory to forgo Looter (because really, what else were you gonna be wearing?) on a couple of Hands to get that Sense 3. Not only does this work through walls, it also works through floors and ceilings and is amazing for strangler-hunting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 27, 2019, 12:08:13 pm »

Hooooly dang so that's how people get Sense :o  Definitely giving that a try!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 27, 2019, 02:07:54 pm »

Did you enjoy being a boxed crook? But Looter outfit will work and Holosuit should too. Did you also know that Bloodhounds get boxed there as well?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 27, 2019, 02:20:15 pm »

What kind of weapons are good against armored cars? I just killed one, with grenades and bullet spam, but it didn't feel like the optimal approach. Only lost two hands, but I had to savescum quite a bit to get that low.
The loot had better be good.
I bet it won't be.

Spoiler: "Burning wreckage" (click to show/hide)

edit: It's fucking nothing. Maybe the car had something, but it was destroyed by the one grenade that exploded after it was already dead?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:33:46 pm by Soadreqm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 27, 2019, 02:54:33 pm »

I'm still not sure what the best option is (I usually spam machine guns) but I'm almost positive they're supposed to drop Car Parts.  A few of those can be combined to make your own car, so hopefully the loot was just on the other screen or something :(
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 153