Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241925 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #720 on: July 27, 2019, 03:22:22 pm »

On current version i tested some approach and it seems there's a randomness to the damage on those armored cars.
Using Frag Grenades (the green grenades) i sometime destroyed an armored car with just 1 explosion, sometime i had to throw up to 3 for the damn thing to be destroyed

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 27, 2019, 03:25:27 pm »

Armored Cars (at least your own) take the most from piercing, laser, and plasma, and as a 2x2 unit with weaker underarmor, they'll take a pretty solid amount from conventional explosives too. I took out the first ones I encountered with long range lasers and a plasma blunderbuss I lucked into.

Alternatively, you could play chicken with it sticking at really long distances and lots of cover until it runs out of ammo. Then you can just run up to it so it can't move, and bash the thing to pieces.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 27, 2019, 04:14:31 pm »

Panzerfausts work well if you already know about Hanna.

Other than that everything that strips armor, try to always get it from the same side. No use to waste (maybe precious) ammo on the front if you already started on a side.

I managed to kill them with Krugers and plasma pistols when they were in my base. (I try to have something like that everywhere.) Plasma always strips armos. Plasma pistols are the exception to the plasma weapon rule: you can research and use them early.

But really, if you know Hanna, order some Panzerfausts and never leave home without them. Their arcing isn't too bad even indoors, because the explosion radius is so small that you can use them from pretty close range. Which also almost guarantee a hit. Unlike grenades they ignore some armor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 27, 2019, 09:04:34 pm »

I took one out with some sort of rocket launcher. Otherwise, it's throw every grenade and hope. They're a lot better than anything else you'll face when you see them. And then sometimes you kill one only to find 2 more because Dioxine hates you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 28, 2019, 12:58:41 am »

If you're desperate, or the terrain is good to you, a sledgehammer does good work on an armored car. It's not 100% reliable, but pretty good. It helps if you have the TU to run back in cover if you need to, but It's a solid enough chance I risk it regularly.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 28, 2019, 09:00:54 am »

Oh damn.
I never researched the eurosyndicate before and if i had knew i would not have.
Eurosyndicate unlock some -truly good- but -extremely- expensive laser weapons. But it also unlock eurosyndicate missions.

Eurosyndicate mission are "kill everyone" missions that are filled with more than 30 hostile government folks (some very strong in power armor)  and of course killing them = negative score because they're governement, and because frack the player all of those guys see through smoke screens (i tried) and through the night at even larger distance than a Gal in Night Ops armor ! so what the hell.
And to make it more anti-player it seems that every items you put into your ship isn't put in the spawning building, so once you're out of mortar shell carried by your Mortar expert, you're out of ammo :/

And you can't even flee because there's no ship, you're spawning inside a building (and trying to flee there still do not count as being in the ship), so attempting to flee will have you lose all the gals -and- the ship you came with :

You maybe think so just "don't do the mission", except that you're getting a massive score hit if you don't +/- -1500 points, the missions only stay available for 24hours (before you get the big negative score) so if you're waiting for those super slow black market shipping to finally give you the weapons you want before such silly assault like i was doing, it's stupid hard :D

But those laser weapons are so nice argh purchased 6 eurosyndicate marsklasers and a hundred of ammo clip for more than 3 millions  :o !

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:07:13 am by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 28, 2019, 09:22:52 am »

You can get out of the deal later, I think.

I never researched it either.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 28, 2019, 10:48:59 am »

Eurosyndicate mission are "kill everyone" missions that are filled with more than 30 hostile government folks (some very strong in power armor)  and of course killing them = negative score because they're governement, and because frack the player all of those guys see through smoke screens (i tried) and through the night at even larger distance than a Gal in Night Ops armor ! so what the hell.
And to make it more anti-player it seems that every items you put into your ship isn't put in the spawning building, so once you're out of mortar shell carried by your Mortar expert, you're out of ammo :/

Yeah, the weapons looked stupid expensive. Do KOs count as kills for that mission? They usually do. Then you get positive points for live capturing any enemy types you've already researched. Less of a hit, anyway.

Also, for my knowledge: Has anyone figured out which buildings gals can/will start in for base defenses? Barracks always has 2-3, and 2 in burrows. I frequently also see 2 in some room with a long table and a bunch of lab equipment (the still?), sometimes 1 in the radar. Sometimes the mess and medbay as well.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 28, 2019, 10:57:52 am »

Some buildings have spawning points, and there is a difference between 4x4 and 1x1 spawning points. But most gals usually start in the barracks. I actually had trouble getting them all out in my training base. All the living space buildings and I think the recreational/lounge rooms have spawning points.
That is why I prefer to have the barracks surround the entry, because you can't have chokepoints later one in crowded bases. Get the Gals close to the action in cover.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 28, 2019, 11:10:17 am »

Also, for my knowledge: Has anyone figured out which buildings gals can/will start in for base defenses? Barracks always has 2-3, and 2 in burrows. I frequently also see 2 in some room with a long table and a bunch of lab equipment (the still?), sometimes 1 in the radar. Sometimes the mess and medbay as well.

It isn't purely deterministic. I've had hands spawn in hangers and plantations.

[Also: WTH, I just had a Sunday Town mission which sounded complicated and potentially very dangerous. I spawned in, started getting mildly worried; 3/4s through turn 1 I spotted a Funky Zombie right outside the starting building and started getting really worried (my gear loadout was not optimized for zombies, to put it mildly) - but 4 Precision Pistol snaps and 1 Painbringer QBurst later the Zombie was knocked out. And then the mission was over, with me getting 965 points for basically nothing...]

[Do Spy Zeps no longer get unlimited anchored loiter in J15? I have a handful that I built in J14 that have been in position for years, but the one I finished right before or after I upgraded to J15 runs out of fuel once or twice a month...]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:24:10 am by E. Albright »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 28, 2019, 04:17:22 pm »

For a while was wondering why it seemed that the majority of the enemies were seeing my gals at night before said gals could see them, Gals having special night vision power (12 tiles apparently) it was puzzling me.

I then looked at the characters and noticed that only the civilian-looking enemies (the lowest of their lowest ranks) have 9 tiles of night vision, nearly everyone else has 16 or 20 (and more) night vision, out of a couple of them that have equal nv to gals ( 12 ) .

Then that's why i had this feeling in battle : in fact nearly every of your enemies see better than your gals at night, only advantages the gals have are against the already near harmless enemies.

Fortunately some armor can give you better than 12 night vision to level the field with the majority of the enemies (loves the night ops one, as it even lower the enemies max night vision, too bad you lose a bit of TU :/ ).
And if you're a complete masochist, you can go with the smokey armor or the tactical armor with helmet  that gives you 9 night vision like the weakest of the enemies so you can get hammered by nearly every enemies without seeing them :D

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 28, 2019, 04:25:20 pm »

I thought I was going to have an easy crashed ship mission, but then the last guy turned out to be a literal terminator. Killer Droid Mk.801 disguised as a Tough Girl. It's got some kind of arm cannon, and it wiped the floor with my whole squad.
I might have to savescum back to before landing and outfit my gals differently. See if the grenade launcher does anything.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 28, 2019, 04:31:36 pm »

If there's a way to get out of the EuroSyndicate deal, I haven't found it yet, and my main tree is bottlenecked at something past Graduation (I think I need a Provost, but can't seem to find any...); I hate those missions so much I've just been debug-moding my way through them. I saw a post on a different site's X-Piratez thread about how somebody modded in an escape clause for 25m, but I don't know if it got mainlined. If it's there, it could be buried somewhere as a Faction reward; I'm way behind on those.

Is there any impact to shooting down ships and not doing anything with them afterwards?

[Also: WTH, I just had a Sunday Town mission which sounded complicated and potentially very dangerous. I spawned in, started getting mildly worried; 3/4s through turn 1 I spotted a Funky Zombie right outside the starting building and started getting really worried (my gear loadout was not optimized for zombies, to put it mildly) - but 4 Precision Pistol snaps and 1 Painbringer QBurst later the Zombie was knocked out. And then the mission was over, with me getting 965 points for basically nothing...]
Sunday Town missions...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, the weapons looked stupid expensive. Do KOs count as kills for that mission? They usually do. Then you get positive points for live capturing any enemy types you've already researched. Less of a hit, anyway.

Pretty sure I saw a Hostage +10 score for a traitor lamia on my most recent one, but I also just infected everybody with the flu at the end of turn 1 after knocking her out... don't think that should affect it though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:33:40 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 28, 2019, 05:16:32 pm »

So five pogroms ago I had my first merc pogrom, which was as unpleasant as you'd expect. The next four I've kitted out my crew to deal with mercs... and have had to dump their weapons and pick up assault rifles/stun gear to kill off Academy underlings or those I-almost-but-not-quite-feel-sorry-for-them Humanist Instructor/3 MPs/14 chump Humanist would-be-lynch-mobs/soon-to-be-chain-gangs armed with nooses and low-end firearms. It's kinda annoying; it would be nice if the mutants gave a shout-out in the description "mercs are attacking!", "demons are attacking", etc. like Lokk'Nars do when they're being raided.

Not-obvious UI feature of the day I feel dumb for only now discovering: right-clicking the on-the-ground one-directional next panel button in the unit inventory screen - as well as the one-directional next hand unit cycling battlescape button - will, in fact, go backwards to the prior set of gear or unit, respectively.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:18:19 pm by E. Albright »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 28, 2019, 05:27:28 pm »

For the eurosyndicate deal, if the game does not allow you yet to break the deal (can't find any confirmation out of an old mod that i don't know if it's still compatible, that it's possible on the current xpiratez game) , by removing the first
STR_MISSION_EUROSYNDICATE_DEAL
entry from your saved game file , it should remove the re-appearing eurosyndicate mission without removing the unlocked super expensive weapons in the market (and put the research available again in the research list if you want to try again those insane missions).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:29:30 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 153