Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241966 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #735 on: July 28, 2019, 08:52:46 pm »

Research The Aggression Must Stop then \*Mutant Self Defense Force\* and you should get the option to research \*Renegotiate EuroSyndicate Deal\* which will make the trouble go away. It comes with a big hit to rep but MSDF will make pogroms go away for ever and give some ships that'll fly around and give you bonus score (as long as you don't shoot them down like a dumbass) so you really want to get that anyways.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 28, 2019, 11:15:29 pm »

There is no penalty for not flying out to crashed ships. The shooting down itself might trigger crackdown missions though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 29, 2019, 06:21:25 am »

Nice that there's an actual gameplay way to get rid of those crappy unbalanced eurosyndicate costly missions.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 29, 2019, 06:49:54 am »

Oh, I see why I never unlocked it-- among other things, it's gated behind Prize: Bank Favors (leading to Interrogation Techniques, etc.). For the first two years of gametime, I thought the Prize items were repeatable rewards.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 29, 2019, 07:03:54 am »

Nice that there's an actual gameplay way to get rid of those crappy unbalanced eurosyndicate costly missions.

I think it is behind Mutant Self Defence Force.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 29, 2019, 08:51:09 am »

A science vessel has come to spread propaganda. I hope they have a Provost there, though I doubt it.

OK, how does one acquire Baby Nukes? I have a XEC Retributor, but to make ammo, I have to have Baby Nukes.

Edit: Nope, no provost there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:18:27 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 29, 2019, 09:38:02 am »

The best source of baby nukes are supply ships.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 29, 2019, 10:03:29 am »

They are, but note that the security will fire the baby nukes at you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 29, 2019, 07:40:34 pm »

Decided to give a test to some change of strategy for trying one of those super silly eurosyndicate missions.
The mortar type of strategy.

All my gals were wearing those nifty night ops armor (so at least we could see nearly as far as the enemies, and we have the camo bonus that makes the enemy seeing us from less far, so all in all i think this is giving us a very slight advantage in term of spotting first)

Because the building we spawned in has a bit too many windows, i sent all the gals to the roof with the gal carrying the mortar, i also gave a mortar ammo to every gals so when the main gal would run out of shell, there would be more.
Oddly i noticed on the roof a very big crate that contained all the items (ammo/weapons) that i had in our transport ship, very nice and very odd on the past attempt there was no such thing.

So i started to move the gals all around the rooftop, to serve as spotter, they all had eurosyndicate markslasers (basically laser sniper rifles) to come with the supposed bonus to firing that comes with the night ops armor.

The first thing we spotted was a damned tank, fortunately he never saw us and after a few turns took 2 mortar shell and exploded
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yay, mortars are awesome

As after a while the situtation became too calm (as we killed with laser and mortar several government folks, some armored some in costume and one in power armor) and none was coming in range of our building, i sent 2 gals to stir up the enemy nest.

They managed to shoot enemies, but sadly the enemy shots started to put fire to the furnitures around, nullifying my very slight night ops armor advantage, so the gals were running away back to the darkness (and in range of my building for additional support fire) but one died from an insane amount of shots (there were a lot more enemies troops alive than i thought)
But in a window, shooting at us and fortunately missing we spotted

wow a general in power armor, and remember what i say : mortar is awesome and the unfortunate general quickly learned that :
what was left of the general was somewhere around the cursor.
It smelled like victory as this was the leader of the enemies there.

Unfortunately that's an eurosyndicate mission and you can't leave so the mission didn't end at all and after a brave fight in which many more government guys were killed (more in power armor), i only had 1 gal surviving on the roof (at some point the mortar gal was killed, i wonder what kind of night vision the killer had because the shooter was beyond the one of my spotters).
the killing of the mortar gal also put some fire on the roof, annihilating any hope of night ops armor usefullness as it made the gals visible and so the target of dozen of enemies we couldn't see.

Managed to get the last gal to survive until the time limit (30 turns) and the mission ended ... into failure, making me lose the ship and the surviving gal.

Good it was just a test.

conclusion :
the eurosyndicate missions is super annoying, never going to play this one again as the limitation of not being able to leave the scene once you did the deed is simply not fun.
the mortar is awesome, seriously.
the night ops armor is awesome at night even against overpowered enemy night vision.
avoid light source at night as much as possible, the slightest one will attract dozen of reaction fire from said overpowered NV range enemies.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 29, 2019, 10:46:38 pm »

They are, but note that the security will fire the baby nukes at you.

Yes, but that's true of acquiring most weapons, ammunition, and throwables when you first want them.

Today I learned that I have been having difficulty learning about apples from ratmen, because they haven't had that interrogation result in over a month. Possibly I've learned that before, but my memory is terrible.

I liked the addition of personal labs, because I build multiple bases and want more research. Then I noticed it requires old earth lab. Now it's just 950k and 25 superconductive wire less that I have.

we killed with laser and mortar several government folks

But...they're worth so much alive (ransom or robbery). What kind of pirate DESTROYS loot?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 29, 2019, 11:00:31 pm »

Because the building we spawned in has a bit too many windows, i sent all the gals to the roof with the gal carrying the mortar, i also gave a mortar ammo to every gals so when the main gal would run out of shell, there would be more.
Oddly i noticed on the roof a very big crate that contained all the items (ammo/weapons) that i had in our transport ship, very nice and very odd on the past attempt there was no such thing.

I'm not sure how it decides who gets the ship supply, but every one I've done has had the stuff spawn at SOMEBODY'S feet. I've only done the mission with Metallo and... Scorpion? though, so it may be the case that different ships treat it differently.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 30, 2019, 02:00:19 am »

I tried to shoot a nazi in an apartment 4-5 z's up with a gal on the ground with a kustom hand cannon. She missed, broke a wall segment four or five over from the window into a new room revealing a nazi with an RPG who then reaction fired, missed the new hole in the wall, and blew himself and my original target up.

Yay

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 30, 2019, 03:10:24 am »

The shooter of your mortal gal might have made use of the sniper / spotter mechanics. Some enemies can do that, too.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 30, 2019, 04:54:58 am »

The shooter of your mortal gal might have made use of the sniper / spotter mechanics. Some enemies can do that, too.
From what i searched in the xpiratez board it was certainly the case :
The thing about camouflage and darkness is, it gets compleately negated by enemies with sniper/spotter behavior like spartans. If you hit a spotter enabled enemy from perfect cover, your unit is still revealed. For two to three rounds, the enemy has maphack on any spotted/revealed unit and can target them anywhere if there is LoF.
This AI behaviour is very counterintuitive. The AI is, in fact, cheating.

In this case, camouflage is only useful to avoid rection fire.

sad to learn that the AI has those built in cheats :/ but it explains so many situations that made no sense.

I'm not sure how it decides who gets the ship supply, but every one I've done has had the stuff spawn at SOMEBODY'S feet. I've only done the mission with Metallo and... Scorpion? though, so it may be the case that different ships treat it differently.
It is possible, on the 1st attempt i did in which i didn't found any supply my ship was a Snake
But after more mission i had enough of its giant lights making it such a pain to take any position without being revealed (and Gals waste nearly a turn to get out) that i sold it and replaced it by a Scorpion.
So either it's linked to the ship you use or it may have been some bug.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 04:56:59 am by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 30, 2019, 05:38:18 am »

The AI is so stupid it needs every edge it can get. And while you do not have sight on the enemy for a couple of turns you always have spotter sniper with all units. And it can't use its units to work together properly, can't really do melee, is to stupid to take a step back and instead shoots in melee and units with weapons that have a high time unit cost mostly run around uselessly, because they take a few steps and then can't shoot anymore.
If you can secure your corner of the map and stay in cover the wallhack doesn't help much either when you can remain in cover.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 153