Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241960 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #690 on: July 26, 2019, 11:28:46 am »

Looks like i'll need some big stun artillery for that guy to be captured (as he is only affected by 85% of the daze type of damage).
So far browsing all the weapons i currently unlocked in the bootypedia, the biggest source of daze damage are
- harpoon guy with stun bolts deals 50 daze
- riot grenade that deals 72 daze (but have some real damage too, so can kill)
- stasis grenade that deals 40 daze

Problem is that despite i can manufacture and buy a lot, there's no harpoon stun bolt / riot grenade / stasis grenade in black market and in my manufacture list.
Super annoying.

Oh and a question about medical supplies, since so many months i only was able to secure enough medical supplies to afford 1 sick bay, but i would like to build a sick bay in my 2nd base too, but i'm out of medical supplies.
It seems very rare and to make it worse it can't be manufactured or bought from the market, that's going to be a pain.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 26, 2019, 11:55:25 am »

Oh and a question about medical supplies, since so many months i only was able to secure enough medical supplies to afford 1 sick bay, but i would like to build a sick bay in my 2nd base too, but i'm out of medical supplies.
It seems very rare and to make it worse it can't be manufactured or bought from the market, that's going to be a pain.

Agreed. It's not much, but if you capture instead of kill, you can get medical supplies off Academy Medics when you rob them. You'll find 1 in most of the Scientific Experiments missions for sure. I also found one on some ratmen, but that was unusual.

Big enough enemies are okay to hit with regular damage before stunning them (and patch them up if they bleed), so they go down sooner. You can also replace the stun weapons with a black powder bomb, if you're lucky. Half the time it will capture larger enemies (like reapers) instead of killing them, which is probably okay for enemies as common as reapers. They're also able to blow a small hole in a non-metal building wall, and always in fences (wood or metal).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 26, 2019, 12:10:32 pm »

The brainer outfit comes with a mind-probe equivalent so you can check their health and stun.  It also has a snorkel which is presumably an imperfect rebreather with a pipe tacked on as a joke :P

But yeah medical supplies are intentionally rare.  You get the ability to manufacture them eventually, and it talks about how there's a worldwide shortage due to the apocalypse and all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 26, 2019, 12:38:20 pm »

You can also buy medical supplies once you ally with *The Mutant Alliance*.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 26, 2019, 01:04:29 pm »

Problem is that despite i can manufacture and buy a lot, there's no harpoon stun bolt / riot grenade / stasis grenade in black market and in my manufacture list.
Super annoying.

Stasis grenades take stasis pods to manufacture, so you'll never have a ton of them.

Missing from your list is shields. A strong gal in chainmail can put a very serious dose of Daze on someone with the kite shield. Plate and tower shields is even better, with a slightly lower amount of HP damage to risk killing your prize.

Combining chem to strip armor (acid vials are nice - up to 25% gone from one hit) and bats/batons/shields (or even massed prods, electric lassos, zappers, and tasers) will work reasonably well, thought there's risk involved with all of those. As long as there's not armor canceling it out, 35% adds up over multiple hits.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:06:18 pm by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 26, 2019, 01:51:41 pm »

Combining chem to strip armor (acid vials are nice - up to 25% gone from one hit) and bats/batons/shields (or even massed prods, electric lassos, zappers, and tasers) will work reasonably well, thought there's risk involved with all of those. As long as there's not armor canceling it out, 35% adds up over multiple hits.

Yeah, but you'd need to cancel a lot of armor to get though the 60/70/80 the Provost has. Wait, does electricity ignore some armor?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 26, 2019, 03:16:33 pm »

I hoped to avoid going for the mutant alliance as i like to not being forced into the pogrom lottery, but it looks like i'll have very few choice in order to get enough of those rare medical supplies.

Missing from your list is shields. A strong gal in chainmail can put a very serious dose of Daze on someone with the kite shield. Plate and tower shields is even better, with a slightly lower amount of HP damage to risk killing your prize.

looks like i don't have kite, plate and tower available in the bootypedia for now (despite i have some in my vaults) as i still don't obtained the chitin required for them in the research line , the 3 shields i unlocked so far (riot, round and pyroman) have 15, 15 and 10 daze only so i have no idea how much better at daze they are.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 26, 2019, 04:26:19 pm »

Mutant Alliance is required to get on with the game anyway. And usually you can manage to loose 300-500 points for going to a pogrom and deciding it is not worth it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 26, 2019, 05:02:03 pm »

Hmm, i was hoping it was possible to avoid the mutant alliance but unfortunately i'll have to go with that then.
Hopefully there will be ways to get positive score when moving on when you have stupid mercenary progroms :D , a bit like those +1000 score researches that happen from time to time.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 26, 2019, 05:13:51 pm »

Looks like i'll need some big stun artillery for that guy to be captured (as he is only affected by 85% of the daze type of damage).
How about Charm damage instead? I think it ignores armor, making it an attractive option here since the Provost is absolutely plated.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 26, 2019, 05:23:19 pm »

If charm ignores armor, that could indeed be a great idea, but if armor is still taken in account it's less good than daze as the provost guy only take 70% of charm damage, while he gets 85% of daze.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 26, 2019, 05:25:48 pm »

Pretty sure it ignores armor, as it is not really a weapon attack. At least bodyguards fall very easily to it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 26, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »

After looking it up, I no longer know anything. The Ufopedia page on Piratez armor has a note that the Bad Touch ability from Wench suit ignores armor. However, the Bootypedia entry on Bad Touch says the opposite of that, claiming that armor is extra effective against it. I'm assuming that Ufopedia has outdated information, but it could also be mixing it up with a different seduction ability given by some higher-tier armor. I haven't gotten that in game so I can't easily check how it works.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 26, 2019, 07:56:49 pm »

After looking it up, I no longer know anything. The Ufopedia page on Piratez armor has a note that the Bad Touch ability from Wench suit ignores armor. However, the Bootypedia entry on Bad Touch says the opposite of that, claiming that armor is extra effective against it. I'm assuming that Ufopedia has outdated information, but it could also be mixing it up with a different seduction ability given by some higher-tier armor. I haven't gotten that in game so I can't easily check how it works.

Bad Touch, the melee attack, is penalized by armor (I rationalize it by saying that they can't feel the touch, so it's a fairly lousy attempt at seduction), but Powers of Seduction, the voodoo attack from the Seductress outfit, passes through armor. But it's a psi-attack, which is probably less useful than an equivalent melee attack, if you're using an Uber.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 26, 2019, 11:00:50 pm »

looks like i don't have kite, plate and tower available in the bootypedia for now (despite i have some in my vaults) as i still don't obtained the chitin required for them in the research line , the 3 shields i unlocked so far (riot, round and pyroman) have 15, 15 and 10 daze only so i have no idea how much better at daze they are.

The thing about shields is their bonus damage - they have pretty low bases but the final Daze can end up high because they have fairly high STR bonuses but also MEL bonuses. There are melee weapons like Heavy Batons that are mostly comparable (25 + (0.5 STR)), but any dedicated Daze weapon stronger than a Bat has the HP damage start creeping up. Shields have higher potential max damage and never have more than *0.3 HP damage.

Spoiler: Shields (click to show/hide)

Slaver's Canes look rather nice, too, but I've never actually used them. I probably should, though.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 153