Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241962 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #675 on: July 25, 2019, 01:12:01 pm »

So I looked into the files and the the UAC Chaingun has an Armor Pre-Damage multiplier of 5%.

You can see all of this in-game. Open the Bootypedia entry/middle-click on the weapon, and pick the ANAL tab at the top of the screen.

Are they good against mercenaries ?
They always seemed completely impervious to anything i was using (grenade, auto shotguns, etc...) , i wonder with the anti-armor feature of those machine guns could then be super usefull against those upgraded mutons

I've had my best luck against those with (lots of) chemical munitions (so yes, armor-striping), plus sniper weapons, KO weapons that ignore most armor, Reticulan plasma guns, various woman-portable cannons, recoiless rifles and rocket launchers (these quite possibly looted in situ), etc. Mostly, I've had my best luck against mercs by not fighting them, though.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 25, 2019, 02:23:09 pm »

There are no bases (other than mine) and it feels like ingame years since I saw the last academy ship.

You can see all of this in-game. Open the Bootypedia entry/middle-click on the weapon, and pick the ANAL tab at the top of the screen.
I know I can see this ingame. But it is quicker to look into the files when I am on the forums.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 25, 2019, 03:23:35 pm »

The regular mercs don't have a lot of armor, but they resist piercing damage. If you have a couple lasers lying around, that is the time to use them. As usual, close combat works as well. The tougher mercs have some armor, but heavy lasers are still pretty good. 40 armor is not that much. It is the 60% piercing resistance that stops most regular guns. Only the shock troopers have decent armor. Axes, especially vibro axes that are mostly overkill against others work well as well.
They all take 50% extra damage from bio damage. A fully trained gal does 50 damage with the poison dagger and it ignores 50% of armor as well. So 75 damage against 20 armor. Ghost daggers should be deadly as well, but that is pretty late game, unlike poison daggers.
If you can bring a trained up bugeye close enough (or just let them close to your ship) they are pretty susceptible to voodoo as well. And charm attacks like from the seductress outfit. Capturing mercs is so easy with one of those.
The really bad things are the hovertanks. Haven't fought them since the shield rework though.

Mechanically mercs are the reason to bring something apart from regular guns. Engineers and captains also have a night vision of 30, so it is probably better to attack them at daytime. The regular ones and the shocktroopers have 20.

Edit: Of course, more dakka always works. But it might give them more time, and with their guns and skills you really don't want that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 25, 2019, 03:38:56 pm »

It's funny to think i have many laser weapons in stock, but it seems due to be unable to buy/craft ammo for them yet i always refrain to use them , always keeping for "just in case", when even the actual case happen, i still go with shotguns and get destroyed :D

I gave a test to heavy machineguns as i had some available in the black market , my 2 highest strength and fully trained gals were carrying one , they were using swimsuit for the TU bonus.
But they're still too heavy (even if the gals were carrying no other items) , even despite the TU bonus to balance the TU malus of overweight to be able to access the full auto firemode, i could only access the short burst one.
I guess to really use the heavy machinegun fully it will require a strength enhancing armor to be able to remove the overweight TU malus (max natural strength is not enough from what i observed), the earliest STR enhancing armor (and the only one i have access so far) is the barbaric "Savage" (but it features some nasty combat stress+8 and 4 stun by turn so it can be rather FUN! to use :D ) that allow my gals to access this fire mode

So i tested with the short burst and noticed it can really "kills things dead" :D ... when it can hit, as in the battle situation i had , i was forced on long range and had between 15 and 20% of accuracy (maybe the overweight didn't help too).

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:40:31 pm by Robsoie »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 25, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »

Huh? You only need 55 strength to carry a HMG with 40 ammo clip and a pirate outfit. Maybe it's loaded with the unnecessarily large ammo crate?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 25, 2019, 04:23:53 pm »

Looks like that is certainly the problem, it's loaded with 200 ammo, so i guess i've used those unnecessarily large ammo crate :D

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 25, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »

The HMG ist a pretty decent sniping weapon as well, as long as you can kneel somewhere. Like on the roof of the menace vessel.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 25, 2019, 04:50:23 pm »

Sometimes its better to leave weapons on the ground betwern turns as well.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 25, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »

I think I just committed a war crime.

It was an Escape Tower mission, and I had successfully neutralized the thugs outside the tower, and captured the wizard for interrogation. I still had the enemy escape craft to deal with, though. I cracked it open with a hammer, and found something like five people, civilian types like Tough Guys and Savvy Gals. Also two dogs. Nothing too strong, but the humans had submachine guns, and I only had two gals in position at the roof. So, instead of trying to fight fair, I chucked an incendiary through the door and stepped back. Most of them just burned, and my reaction fire got the few that got out.
Got negative points for killing them, but the total score was around +600 thanks to all the assassination tokens. I guess they were technically fair game, due to aiding and abetting a known wizard, but I feel a bit bad about it.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 25, 2019, 06:32:41 pm »

The really bad things are the hovertanks. Haven't fought them since the shield rework though.

This so much. Now that you mention it, the pogrom I fought against mercs wasn't so bad except for the sheer number of them, the fact that I was trying to capture shock troops (the damned things kept getting back up), and those. two. tanks. The tanks are HORRIBLE. They're damage sponges that casually slaughter a person or two a turn.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 26, 2019, 05:11:28 am »

Wow those heavy machineguns sure pack a punch, one of my gal just sit on top of our Snake ship and was enjoying killing osiron security without problems.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was thinking "hmg forever!" until i attacked later a "very large" ufo that had landed, it was full of osiron security and some lesser troops that all went down with the might of the heavy machinegun and my recently crafted kustom handcannons.

And then we met that guy, he seemed nothing special visually, just a guy in a white ositron-like armor with a blue personnal shield like some soldiers/reverends can have (but go down fast), so i thought the guy is now alone in that huge ship, let's capture him, oh how wrong i was .
With save and reload, maybe hundred of strikes and handles hits = he didn't cared
Eating a lot of HMG bullets = he didn't cared
Eating lot of doubled kustom handcanons bullets = he didn't cared
lots of frag grenades in his faces = he didn't cared

While he was shooting some kind of plasma in burst fire mode that killed a gal as soon as hit.
As i again completely forgot to embark all the laser weapons i looted through that run ...

After more save and reload  i understood that nothing i had could scratch that guy, so i had my gals ran back to the snake and we departed, with all the dead ositron we still had a nice positive score anyways.

So if you see an Academy Provost that has good protection against most type of damage and forgot your laser (or bio ammo) , just run away :D

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 26, 2019, 05:28:28 am »

You'll need to capture 2 of them alive. :P

Blue shields only take 25% of damage from piercing weapons, but even so shotguns should be able to strip it.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 26, 2019, 05:29:58 am »

In my expirience, few real buff gals with bardiches work fine too. Although that was before shield rework, i don't really know how they work now.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 26, 2019, 05:47:52 am »

Should still work, cutting deals normal damage.

Edit: Haven't had bounty missions in a while. Now save a raynerd, sitzkrieg und bank robbery back to back.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:49:30 am by Rince Wind »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 26, 2019, 08:03:25 am »

And then we met that guy, he seemed nothing special visually, just a guy in a white ositron-like armor with a blue personnal shield like some soldiers/reverends can have (but go down fast), so i thought the guy is now alone in that huge ship, let's capture him, oh how wrong i was .
With save and reload, maybe hundred of strikes and handles hits = he didn't cared

Even worse, he's almost immune (35% damage) to the cattle prods that you would normally use to knock out a big bad.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 153