Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 118687 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 3 has begun | Act III: To War
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2014, 05:59:57 am »

We've got about 2 days left to end of day.  Mentioning it just to make sure it's clear for anyone wondering/unsure/not keeping track.

I am not ready to commit to voting for anyone right now.  My vote on Nerjin was intended to attempt to get a response I was not sure would come without it.  Nerjin, we need to talk some more, but I am unvoting now.  Please don't feel pressured, stressed, hunted... we're just going to chat, and I'm going to chat with others too.  My mind is not made up about you, I do have some questions for you and I'll answer your questions too; hopefully I can get a chance to reply to your answers by this time tomorrow and if either of us or anyone else needs to comment or ask about anything we say, with luck that'll have a chance to be addressed as well before day ends.

Superblackcat:

I'm quite mad at myself, for not dropping the vote yesterday against 4mask, when there was obviously no... other cop claims.

But lets take a look at the people who did vote 4mask.

4maskwolf - MyOwnWorstEnemy, Superblackcat, Nerjin,  Persus13

Alright. So, each of you give me why you continued to vote him, when it was pretty obvious there was no other Cop claims.

But you didn't notice the lack of a CC?

Superblackcat, would you explain why you voted for 4maskwolf, and why you voted when you did?

I'm not voting 4mask unless someone else outs as cop. If you are the real cop, we win instant if you out. Otherwise, I don't see why Nerjin would bother to vote 4mask.

4mask

Bye.

Those two posts are about 50 minutes apart.  I know what happened in the posts made during that time, but not what was going on in your decisions or why your choice changed so much.  Explain your reasoning?

Nerjin:

but first allow me to propose an alternate hypothesis: 4mask got mafia and I don't know what he was thinking at all because I got town. Vanilla town to be specific.

This confuses me.  Explain what you mean by "4mask got mafia"?  Can't be a mafia role, we know he was Town.  Can't be an inspection result, he said he got Town from the inspection done on Mastahcheese.  I can't think of any other possible meaning.

Your use of 'lets say' in the rest of that post confuses me, especially where you drop it half way through.  When you say 'lets say', are you "supposing a theory", or are you using obscure language to speak your actual truth and viewpoint?

I want your truth.  I have to ask about your motives or guess.  But you know your motives and reasoning. 

Assuming you're speaking your truth, one thing you talk about in that post really frightens me, as a player.  Maybe as a newbie; I'm too newbie to tell if it's a silly newbie fear or an intelligent and sensible fear - so I'm going to assume that it's a reasonable fear and I'd really like you to explain your viewpoint on this issue:

Now, let's say I'm an IC who prefers teaching people directly and letting them feel things out on their own, stepping in as needed.
I think to myself 'I'm not really needed here...

So this has ceased being a BM to me in terms of gameplay and just a very basic game of mafia. I think to myself 'Eh... I'm not really needed. I'll keep an eye out.'
I'll try to say stuff where needed but I feel like I'm a redundant factor here. I'm just a player with fancier sig-text.

It really sounds to me like you're viewing yourself essentially as a non-player, and if you are a player, you're 'not really here', 'it's not your game', 'you don't need to say anything as long as the other players are doing fine'.

In fact, saying 'other players' appears to be a misnomer - you're not at all viewing yourself as 'one of us' - your stance appears to be more that of an umpire or a teacher - homework, tests, that stuff's for the kids; teachers are just in the room, ignore me kids, you play your game and keep doing good, I'll correct you when you mess up.

That.  Is.  Forgive me Nerjin, but that is awful, if that's your perspective.  You are one of us.  Be you Town or Scum you are one of the six living players in this game, a game that actually may reach Mylo tomorrow if we cannot figure out who to lynch today.  No matter how much experience any of us has or lacks, no matter how well or poorly each of us is playing - you are in the game and you are a player here.

We need your interaction with us, we need it from day 1; failing that we need it from now on to the end of the game or your death, whichever comes first.  We need you, like we needed Mastahcheese while he lived; like we needed Pufferfish-became-4maskwolf while he lived, like we need Persus and Sinlessmoon now, we need every single one of us and you very much are one of us Nerjin![/i].  And the fewer players we have, the more and more we need every single one that remains.

Of course, if you're Scum, we need you in a different way than we need you if you are Town, but the need is no less.

What is wrong with my reasoning?  Why do you say you are not needed?  Why do you feel you are redundant, especially today when there are only 6 of us able to speak, only 5 with any possible true interest in catching Scum?

I'll agree if you believe we don't need you to lead; I'll agree if you don't believe we need you to explain how to play.  But you are one of us; as a player you are the equal and partner of every one of us, even if you are Scum - you are a living player in this game which cannot be played without communication and interaction!

come on imp, you're better than this baseless attack.

I'd say Imp due to her flailing accusational attempt to start a bandwagon. I don't want to say she's scum though because I honestly think she's better than that.

Alright, let's reply to this in full now since I have basically unlimited time. Since you are Imp and are, therefore, a player I greatly respect as a pretty competent player I have only this to say: I'm very disappointed in what you're doing here.

Imp is a player who, though almost needlessly verbose, is quite competent despite her relative newness. Thus I'm holding her to a higher standard. This attack and vote [obviously a pressure vote] had absolutely ZERO evidence behind it other than 'This sounds like a plausible situation people might jump at if I phrase it properly.'

A pure attack of opportunity that she probably developed within ten minutes of posting it. It DOES sound like something that might happen. EXCEPT that it would be a GROSS violation of my IC duties. Despite my other shortcomings I follow the spirit of ICing very seriously. I am here to teach. I have done just that.

Let me be totally frank with you Imp your theory is trash as is your reason for voting me. I'm curious about something: Why did you put it forward and vote me on absolutely NO evidence?

You really confused me here.  You flip between praise of me, "a player I greatly respect as a pretty competent player" and belittling "come on imp, you're better than this baseless attack."  You describe what I posted as a "flailing accusational attempt to start a bandwagon" but also as "obviously a pressure vote".

Which do you mean, especially about the 'theory' I posted?  Are 'obvious pressure votes' also 'flailing accusational attempt to start a bandwagon' and also 'pure attacks of opportunity?'

You make a bunch of statements, some contradictory, about what I said - and you deny the theory; earlier you even posted a counter 'theory' that I don't understand and which I've asked you to explain near the beginning of this post.

Your full reply... at least you say it's your full reply -

Alright, let's reply to this in full now since I have basically unlimited time.

- it also does not actually point out any evidence to the contrary, not even a single 'blatantly obvious' reason why it is clearly untrue, or any subtler reasons which undermine it and suggest it is not likely to be true.  It doesn't have to - I wanted your response to it and to the other, earlier questions, no matter what that response was.  However, I am concerned about this: your response to the challenge is based upon things you say about my character and things you say to describe me, both positively and negatively - and the positive ones are tuned towards attack too, aren't they?  "Imp is a player who, though almost needlessly verbose, is quite competent despite her relative newness. Thus I'm holding her to a higher standard" and "Since you are Imp and are, therefore, a player I greatly respect as a pretty competent player I have only this to say: I'm very disappointed in what you're doing here" - ahh, that's use of praise to more broadly aim your response as an attack at me, right?  You are using ad hominem on purpose?  Been a long time since my one logic class in college, which I think spent a single paragraph on that concept; but that's been brought up in a few other games recently.

So you made a bunch of statements about my 'theory' and about me, and you asked me really only one thing about what I said.

I'm curious about something: Why did you put it forward and vote me on absolutely NO evidence?

In short, it's because my previous three attempts to directly communicate with you seemed to have utterly failed, I'd been trying for just over a week at the point I posted that 'theory' to get interaction with you, and you'd found time to interact when you wanted to and even used a shorten instead of interacting with me or anyone besides 4maskwolf after he claimed... apparently my and others' questions meant so little to you at the time that you forgot them, repeatedly?

As for 'ignoring' questions I kept forgetting to actually answer them.

I was getting desperate because I don't know your alignment and you really, really really were not talking to me or anyone except for the guy who said 'I'm a cop' - and you basically said 'die, liar!' to him, then went back to IC stuff intermixed with silence.

In long, see this post.  Persus13 asks me essentially the same question, I explain my reasons very clearly there, but I'm perfectly happy to explain further or explore my reasoning and concerns with you or anyone who wishes.  Interaction and understanding motivation and reasoning are vital for determining alignment.  At this point Nerjin, I'd be happy to interact with you about just about anything, any tone, any topic; some are more important than others but I desperately need to read your words and understand you better.  Time's getting really tight, both in the Day and in the game.

I'm exhausted guys.  My morning's unlikely to give me much time, maybe none, and Nerjin's not the only person I need to talk with. 

Sinlessmoon  Do you understand what Lylo and Mylo are?  Do you understand what a Town lurker who doesn't vote or really isn't involved in the game means at that stage of the game?  And what a similar Scum lurker means at that point?  I -really- had that driven home to me in the final Day of BM44.  Wow was that rough, intense, and horrid.  And unwinnable for Town.  You understand that, right?  I never want to go through that again.  I'm currently wishing we had voted you out D2, losing your D3 contribution to the game would have cost us nothing at all - especially if you are Scum but hey, look at your posts so far - we'd have lost nothing if you are Town either.  I warn you now, if I am not quite sure who the Scum is by day end, you will have my vote unless that might create a tie.  I am very unwilling to risk walking into Mylo with a player like yourself.  You have 2 days to fix it, and I really hope you do.

I've got more questions to answer and more to ask, but I'm just too tired.  More as soon as I can, probably tomorrow evening :(  Sooner if at all possible.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2014, 09:13:58 am »

Superblackcat:

I'm quite mad at myself, for not dropping the vote yesterday against 4mask, when there was obviously no... other cop claims.

But lets take a look at the people who did vote 4mask.

4maskwolf - MyOwnWorstEnemy, Superblackcat, Nerjin,  Persus13

Alright. So, each of you give me why you continued to vote him, when it was pretty obvious there was no other Cop claims.

But you didn't notice the lack of a CC?

Superblackcat, would you explain why you voted for 4maskwolf, and why you voted when you did?

I'm not voting 4mask unless someone else outs as cop. If you are the real cop, we win instant if you out. Otherwise, I don't see why Nerjin would bother to vote 4mask.

4mask

Bye.

Those two posts are about 50 minutes apart.  I know what happened in the posts made during that time, but not what was going on in your decisions or why your choice changed so much.  Explain your reasoning?

He kept continually wifom-ing, voting himself, asking everyone to shorten it up and of the such... I didn't like it. That's why I voted him. I'm not sure why I kept my vote on him for so long though. It just... kind of happened, by the time day ended, I realized that I shouldn't be voting him.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2014, 09:50:12 am »

Well I've been saying for some time that the only reason I'm not voting for SBC is that he spent most of D1 bickering with makeinu. Then it occurred to me that this would be possible. Although I must ask: why did you quote me three times and why haven't you said anything before?
I quoted you three times because my computer was being slow and your quote wasn't showing up when I hit Insert Quote, so I hit again twice. And then I forgot to check and see how many times your quotes showed up. Also, I've only seriously considered SBC being scum today.

SBC:
I've responded to your question about voting 4maskwolf, and so has MOWE, but I haven't seen your response to why you voted 4maskwolf. PPE: SO why do you not like it when people give up?

Persus:
He isn't the only one, sure Imp and Sinlessmoon are inactive, but I expect him to be active, because he is an IC.

Also, Persus, I projected this to you when you said something along the lines of "All active people are more or less confirmed town."
Confirmed town? No. Likely town? Absolutely. I focused on the lurkers then, because all of the active players seemed town on an individual basis. Like then, I'm trying to hunt those I find scummy.

I think you may be right, and there is a high chance of this, for the reason's you've stated. But within the active people, you are the most scummy. Because, oh shit, you are the only left ;).
Evidence please?

Imp: I am currently leaning slight town on Nerjin, as while he's been lurking, it seems that part of that is Real life stuff, and when he's made an effort to play, he has been playing like town.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:20 pm »

Persus:
Well I've been saying for some time that the only reason I'm not voting for SBC is that he spent most of D1 bickering with makeinu. Then it occurred to me that this would be possible. Although I must ask: why did you quote me three times and why haven't you said anything before?
I quoted you three times because my computer was being slow and your quote wasn't showing up when I hit Insert Quote, so I hit again twice. And then I forgot to check and see how many times your quotes showed up. Also, I've only seriously considered SBC being scum today.
Ah. I see. I was just making sure there wasn't some sort of meaning behind it. My computer seems to like doing that as well.

Tiruin:
Boop!
Though for personal note, I was worried about the...aggression being shown.
I can promise you won't see any more aggression from me. In hindsight, I probably should have waited to give my thoughts on SBC's actions. I'd had a... stressful day and that transferred to the post.

SBC:
I'm extremely sorry for my outburst and anything I'd said that offended you. It was very childish of me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 29, 2014, 02:28:37 am »

Arggh, I should be sorry that I may have offended Nerjin...

Just his tone after being one of the inactive people... made me mad, even though He is the IC.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 29, 2014, 02:31:49 am »

SBC:
I've responded to your question about voting 4maskwolf, and so has MOWE, but I haven't seen your response to why you voted 4maskwolf. PPE: SO why do you not like it when people give up?

Persus:
He isn't the only one, sure Imp and Sinlessmoon are inactive, but I expect him to be active, because he is an IC.

Also, Persus, I projected this to you when you said something along the lines of "All active people are more or less confirmed town."
Confirmed town? No. Likely town? Absolutely. I focused on the lurkers then, because all of the active players seemed town on an individual basis. Like then, I'm trying to hunt those I find scummy.

I think you may be right, and there is a high chance of this, for the reason's you've stated. But within the active people, you are the most scummy. Because, oh shit, you are the only left ;).
Evidence please?

Imp: I am currently leaning slight town on Nerjin, as while he's been lurking, it seems that part of that is Real life stuff, and when he's made an effort to play, he has been playing like town.

It's a wifom type thing Persus.

"Mafia wouldn't do that." As we play, we get to know that that isn't the case, but since 4mask is new, I thought he might try to pull something like that. It wasn't any specific thing. It was his continous play of. (Guys I'm cop)... to (Shit this might not work) ... to (I am scummy, but still.) to  (Sorry... I give up, Mafia wouldn't do this right?)

That's what I saw.

And I should've asked everyone to explicitly state that they were not cop. The part that I hate myself was that I can't even say that I thought there was no cop, because I didn't think that ;-;. Probably my shittiest play ;-;.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:10 am »

I'm dirt tired guys.  I'm going to get as much of this finished as I can, then post and sleep even if it's not done yet.  I'm guessing everyone's exhausted/super busy/in-the-case-of-Sinless-paralyzed-or-something since not much has been said today.  I think I can get one more post in before game ends, but it might be this time tomorrow night , and we're less than 30 hours from game end as is - probably not much more chance for me to interact with people.  But I can sure read and think about any answers people can give and I'll try to be here.

Superblackcat:
He kept continually wifom-ing, voting himself, asking everyone to shorten it up and of the such... I didn't like it. That's why I voted him. I'm not sure why I kept my vote on him for so long though. It just... kind of happened, by the time day ended, I realized that I shouldn't be voting him.

More details please.  Are you saying that you used your vote as a way of saying 'I don't like what you are doing', without your vote having anything to do with what you thought his alignment was?  Was there -any- strategy involved in what you were doing, any intentions, hopes, expectations?

Were you aware of how close to day end the game was when you voted for 4mask?

You've mentioned more than once one variant or another of "I shouldn't have voted for him" - explain your reasoning why you shouldn't have voted for him, and why that reasoning didn't stop you from voting for him?

Persus:

You didn't quote what you're saying that about.  I'm going to guess you're answering my and MOWE's question about why you think Nerjin is Town?

I don't get "he has been playing like town".  My primary evaluation of Nerjin is that he's playing like he doesn't want to actually be a player at all in this game - he's here to teach and coach and early in the game (D1, early D2) keep a scorecard of the quality and strengths and weaknesses of each player's play.  He also said a few things that I don't understand at all, one's his 'counter theory' and another was when he said he would say something about a player's play after that player was dead.  I'm too tired right now to want to sift to find and quote that, but it's made me go 'huh?' more than once - what on earth could Nerjin want to say after the game to someone that he won't say while he's in game with someone?

I know totally that you and he cannot possibly be Scumbuddies, but saying 'He's playing like Town' unfortunately tells me almost nothing, and I can't even guess that you are seeing what I'm seeing and interpreting it similarly because I'm not even seeing that.  It's like a handwave failure to answer the question, if you said this in answer to my question about why you think Nerjin is Town.

MyOwnWorstEnemy:
I can promise you won't see any more aggression from me.

Oi.  I'm not sure that you should write off aggression entirely, to the level you promise there.  Aggression has a place in Scumhunting.  Personal attacks maybe never (and I'm not saying you made them... I actually thought the aggression Tiruin was talking about was Cat's... and to my standards Cat wasn't -that- out of line either... and Cat's learning still.  I've only seen Cat be aggressive once before that I can remember and there's an art to figuring out 'how much is enough' and 'how exactly should I use this tool'.  The only line I think Cat crossed was where he cursed in reference to Nerjin's IC advice, which I think is pretty decent, but I too am bothered that Nerjin says he doesn't see himself as a player here, and I'm bothered by Nerjin's play because he is, yes, a player here.

Just don't want you to box yourself, in this game or any future one, be you Scum or Town.  Properly used, aggression totally has its place.  It's only improper aggression that needs to be shut out.  People make mistakes, and once they do often other people make more mistakes in reaction to it.  Oh well, we all learn, and we all get better.  So don't throw away tools, just handle them with the care and restraint that seems appropriate, yeah?

Tiruin:  Does anyone need a prod?  I'm thinking there's 2 people haven't posted in the last 24 hours, one of them 24 hours +.  If I fall asleep again as I try to write this can you come prod me awake please?  I don't want to be one of the people who need a prod :(  I sure hope this post will remain coherent.

Sinlessmoon:  I dunno if I'm going to keep this vote to day end or not.  But gods man, there is no way I'm going to accept being in Lylo with your inactivity and I can't even imagine or believe you're going to act any different or better the next Day then you have.  You haven't voted all game, hardly post anything more than 'I should post more' posts.  Good thing at worst we're in Mylo tomorrow, not Lylo; there's a chance even if you're Town you won't doom us all but you haven't interacted enough for me to classify your alignment at all.

I can see you sitting back and letting us chew at each other and just hiding from the fallout with occasional rare posts of excuses.  That's you with a power role, I know that from Paranormal, but I don't see you being any different as Scum - and I don't see you giving any more information before day end either.

Prove me wrong, please.

Worst case scenario I get so busy I can't connect again before day end; a vote for you doesn't seem to be one I'm likely to regret even if I don't get 20 spare minutes to rub together and spend reading any new posts and making my final judgment on someone who seems more likely Scum than you. 

Nerjin:

In case you get any time to post, and are not sure if you should or not or whatever is going on for you - have a listen to this song, and imagine the lyrics are saying, instead of "Marvin I love you", that they instead are saying "Nerjin we need you".  Heck, the whole song could use a parody to fit Mafia and Scumhunting better, but it's not too terrible even as is.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ImiqaXBMkM

Superblackcat:

Imp Could we have a thought of how well you think we played the first two days, since you watched us as a spectator? (So before you joined).

I started to reread through D1 and D2 again because when I read and reread them before I never thought about 'how well are people playing'.  I started that readthrough but I fell asleep twice and it's not going to finish tonight.  When I read the thread as a spectator, before replacing in I was focused on 'keeping up' so I could possibly jump into anyone's spot, but it was Mastahcheese I most focused on being.  I liked his play the most - I didn't want him to replace out but he was 'me'.  My reread with your question in mind made it to page 16.  I got reminded how very little play was done by ElephantParade, Pufferfish, Gembot, and Sinlessmoon during those first pages.  I enjoyed watching makeinu freak out, be inactive for a time, then return calm and apparently happy to be the lynch choice, so very focused at the end on teaching.

What was your reason for asking that question?

So,

Sinlessmoon:

Sorry about not posting, I'll try getting around to posting something tomorrow. :)

I mean it this time!

Wait.  Did you just tell us that you didn't mean it the other umpteen times you said you were going to post more?  Are you baiting us?  Are you trolling us?  I'm too tired to explore this further, but I could lose my cool with your attitude really easy.

I'm not talking to you again until I've had more sleep, jerk.  I sure hope you're Scum with that attitude, cause that's like, playing against your team if you're Town.  And the only player I've ever seen be an arse about it was Scum, though granted, he was way, way more rude than you.

PPE:
Cat:
And I should've asked everyone to explicitly state that they were not cop. The part that I hate myself was that I can't even say that I thought there was no cop, because I didn't think that ;-;.

Argh.  Umm, why should you have asked that?  Lets say that everyone said 'no' - even Sinless who doesn't bother to say anything most of the time.  What then?  How what why was that what you should have done and what would that have changed?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 29, 2014, 05:03:18 am »

"Work-related variables prevented the posting of flavor. Yep!"

• 2 Superblackcat - MyOwnWorstEnemy, Persus13
  • 1 Sinlessmoon - Imp
  • 0 Imp -
  • 0 Persus13 -
  • 0 MyOwnWorstEnemy -
  • 1 Nerjin - Superblackcat
  • 2 Not Voting: Sinlessmoon, Nerjin

Day 3 has begun and will end on January 30, 2013 [Thursday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]; Approximately 27 hours remaining.

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

3 votes needed to extend the day
4 votes needed to shorten the day
There are no possible extensions remaining today. 

Praise be, for zombie urist's LurkerTracker!

Tiruin:  Does anyone need a prod?  I'm thinking there's 2 people haven't posted in the last 24 hours, one of them 24 hours +.  If I fall asleep again as I try to write this can you come prod me awake please?  I don't want to be one of the people who need a prod :(  I sure hope this post will remain coherent.
Not of the moment! Day ends Thursday, and hilariously--Holiday for me on Friday! >__>
And your posts are coherent beyond belief. :3 I love it.
Though-Nerjin-while being under prod probability, is also having RL stuffs shoved down his busy-ness. So he has leeway for it for the time being (though prod was still sent. :p)

Also I don't think people'd intentionally-lurk at this kinda stage in-game, but that's my optimist speaking! My pessimist says the same but says it with a pout.

Edit: But sure! I can always prod you awake. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:05:22 am by Tiruin »

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:53 am »

Arghh, stated wrong.

Imp. See what I said to Persus. I'm not entirely sure why I stuck with the vote. I certainly believe that I shouldn't of. But it was something in the moement... and 4mask seemed incredibly scummy...

I guess it was the thing with me, I seemed scummy, but it was a town type scummy. I felt like he was trying to town wifom his way out of their. "I'll vote myself, I can't be scum" and other stuff like that. It just struck me as bad. so I voted him. It should not of stayed on him however. I'm not going to even say that I thought there was no cop like Persus, I just wasn't thinking. At all.

Imp, I meant that what do you think of the first two days because you are spectator, and spectators can usually see things from a different angle. Since they aren't immersed in their own role, and instead, see everything.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:46 am »

IMp: I have responded to 4maskwolf previously and forgot to link.
When Nerjin's been playing instead of giving IC advice, he's done a decent job playing as town. My only problem with him is that he's lurking a lot, which I think is more attributable to real life stuff than anything else.
Another reason I have for not suspecting Nerjin is partly because I have not found anything scummy about him and have only received town tells. Other players like you, SBC, and Sinlessmoon are either giving me nulls or scum tells, and I'm concerned about that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:16 am »

Imp:
MyOwnWorstEnemy:
I can promise you won't see any more aggression from me.

Oi.  I'm not sure that you should write off aggression entirely, to the level you promise there.  Aggression has a place in Scumhunting.  Personal attacks maybe never (and I'm not saying you made them... I actually thought the aggression Tiruin was talking about was Cat's... and to my standards Cat wasn't -that- out of line either... and Cat's learning still.  I've only seen Cat be aggressive once before that I can remember and there's an art to figuring out 'how much is enough' and 'how exactly should I use this tool'.  The only line I think Cat crossed was where he cursed in reference to Nerjin's IC advice, which I think is pretty decent, but I too am bothered that Nerjin says he doesn't see himself as a player here, and I'm bothered by Nerjin's play because he is, yes, a player here.

Just don't want you to box yourself, in this game or any future one, be you Scum or Town.  Properly used, aggression totally has its place.  It's only improper aggression that needs to be shut out.  People make mistakes, and once they do often other people make more mistakes in reaction to it.  Oh well, we all learn, and we all get better.  So don't throw away tools, just handle them with the care and restraint that seems appropriate, yeah?
[/quote]

I meant mean, unnecessary aggression. I should have been more specific in that I suppose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »

Fuck... Day's over lads. No posting til our gracious host comes back.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 29, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »

Did you miss the fact we got an extension? And that Tiruin's last post 10 hours or so ago said we had 27 hours left? Or her countdown timer currently says we have less than 17 hours left until day end?
Sigtext

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 29, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »

Did you miss the fact we got an extension? And that Tiruin's last post 10 hours or so ago said we had 27 hours left? Or her countdown timer currently says we have less than 17 hours left until day end?

Oh... Guess I clicked the wrong timer. My bad. I'll uh... Get back to reading.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 30, 2014, 03:23:02 am »

Less than 6 hours to end of day.  Sinless hasn't bothered to vote.  Again.... hasn't voted yet all game.  Or post.  The guy has posted 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and it's been 2 weeks since his posts have had any content beyond 'I should post more' or excuses why he can't or can post more.

Nerjin hasn't voted today, has no case to press, isn't interrogating...

Heck, no one but me seems to be interrogating much, mostly the 'Scumhunting' D3 seems to of the 'point fingers and call names' variety.

Superblackcat leads the lynch votes by 1; Nerjin who hasn't voted today has one and Sinlessmoon has one.  I'd rather see either Nerjin or Sinlessmoon lynched than Superblackcat.  I don't think I'm seeing a Scum Cat.  Cat's really not a polished player, he's been really obvious when he has been Scum in the recent past (paranormal), and was really focused on mechanics/not really very willing or able to Scumhunt very well (BM44), and always fast to answer questions even if not with as much detail as I like.

I see improvement in that Scumhunting, a greater willingness to interact, but Cat still needs prodding.  I think Nerjin's attack on Cat, when Cat asked his most round of questions was a pretty questionable choice.

In fact that whole lead up and exchange looks pretty nasty.  I'm not sure if it's Scummy, but it is nasty.

And Why has no one posted in the past 24 hours?

I'm here Persus, But there isn't any thing to be said.

Really? If there isn't anything to be said, then why don't change that. This entire game, I've seen very little scumhunting from you, and instead you've just been sitting passively in a corner and occasionally asking questions. You asked me and Nerjin why we voted 4maskwolf, hen you could go back to D2 and read what we said then yourself. You seem like you are active lurking, and I don't like that. And as a matter of fact, there is something to be said, as you could answer this question I posed to you:
Now, why aren't you scumhunting? Why are you just asking people for their reasons for their actions, and doing NOTHING ELSE?

Now, why aren't you scumhunting? Why are you just asking people for their reasons for their actions, and doing NOTHING ELSE?

First of all, That in a way, is part of my scumhunting. Secondly, I don't have a base to jump off of. And I've been busy.

Sinlessmoon, You here? Who do you think is scum? and Why?

Persus Why aren't you scumhunting?

Nerjin Why did you not vote Makeinu, but vote Sinless? What was the reasoning behind that?

Imp Could we have a thought of how well you think we played the first two days, since you watched us as a spectator? (So before you joined).

MOWE How do you think we should proceed from here?

What I see:  Persus talked about people not talking; Cat said 'Nothing to say, dude'.  Persus said 'You can fix that, and besides, I don't like how you've played this game so far', and Cat said, 'My play is like this, and I haven't had much time.  Oh, but I can try harder right now' and he did so.  Yep, for Cat, those questions are about as good as any I've seen him ask.

I remember asking Cat in BM44 what Scumhunting was, and what Active Lurking was, and getting a bit hammered for asking him those questions so late in the day (it was near the end of D2, and like a month into the game).  I was asking to make sure that Cat knew what the words meant - because he'd done so little Scumhunting and so much Active Lurking as of that point.  I'd already classified Cat as Town by that point, after considering him so Scummy and nearly crusading to see him lynched D1 and telling him he was perma-FOSed because I was still so sure he was Scum.  But as I kept studying him, I realized I was just seeing him, not him as Scum, and that given all the things he did, if he were Scum he wouldn't seem Scummy - he'd be leaping and screaming of Scumminess.  That's more or less what happened in Paranormal.

Cat might fool me one day and it could even be this game, but I really don't feel sure I'm seeing a Scum Cat.  I'm not sure enough to tie the vote, but thanks to Nerjin and Sinless not bothering to vote, that's my choice; I can vote for someone I don't think is probably Scum (I feel less sure that Cat is Town than I did D2, but I think Cat is Town), or I can tie the vote by voting for Nerjin, who I do suspect is Scum... Heck.

I dunno if that was a genuine mistake or an inobvious way to shorten while Nerjin wasn't the lynch-vote leader for the day.  If we believe the day's over we're not going to change our votes or anything.  I've seen Scum (but not specifically Nerjin; I've never seen a Scum Nerjin) make just that blatant and obvious a lie near day end before... happened D3 of the last Supernatural when I counterclaimed Max White and was done to try and cause a panicked shift in votes off of him.

I wish I'd started talking about the votes on Cat last night, maybe that might have made a difference today.  I was so tired last night I wasn't even tracking who was voting for who.

Or maybe we'll see Scum lynched today.  If that happens, I'm shaking your hand Cat.  Yeah, you look Scummy to me, but you don't look like what I think you look like when you actually are Scum at all and you've learned a lot really fast.

Oh yeah, I was trying to focus on what was going on with Cat's questions and Nerjin's reaction to them.

So what I see, Cat asked questions - and maybe he would have followed up on some or all of them.  He'd just been reminded by Persus about following up, and Cat was making at very least a show of cooperating and trying.  And what happens?

Nerjin jumps into a question from Persus to Cat, one that happens to be about Cat's case on Nerjin, then Nerjin follows up with a rather direct attack on Cat.

Even tells Cat:

If you're going to post useless questions please do so on your own time.

No, Nerjin does not get away with bullying and shutting down a newbie in a Beginner's Mafia game without that being pointed at.  Not even if that newbie explodes when he is bullied and shut down and dares to state an aggressive opinion (the second I have ever seen Cat make in a game) which includes a hostile judgment about Nerjin's IC advice.

Nerjin's allowed to correct a newbie however he sees fit, but that doesn't mean -everyone- is going to smile and nod about it.  People are going to make mistakes and they need to be corrected, but some people are going to make more than others and when does shutting someone down help them learn to reach out correctly anyway?

I just realized what's ticking me off so much about this.  Nerjin, you're reminding me of Rolepgeek in BM44, how he treated me.  YOu're not that bad to Cat, or me, but that same feel of hostility and being shut down by you is there, that I felt from him.  And from Deathsword.  Now Deathsword wasn't Scum but Rolepgeek was.

Think about this, Mr IC, a statement, challenge, correction - call it what you will from someone deemed 'too green' to be an IC and from someone you have stated you "greatly respect" - if a newbie isn't going to be able to reach out and try to figure out how to play Mafia, Forum Mafia, this style of Mafia, whatever the disconnect is for Cat - if a newbie cannot make their mistakes in a BM, then where in the blue blazes is that newbie supposed to go make their mistakes and learn how to play better?  Since when does teaching someone to play better include shutting them down?

If you are Scum, Nerjin, I'm going to feel like I understand what you're doing a whole lot better.  And just because another newbie (MOWE) can see that Cat was out of line in how he responded to you and didn't notice or react to how you went out of line to shut Cat down in how you corrected him - doesn't mean that you should shut people down.

And I hold you to a higher standard too, Nerjin.  One that includes actually playing.  One that includes using your vote.  One that includes being here for us as well as your other forum games, or at least replacing out so there's a chance that someone else will replace in, someone who will actually play if you won't.

I'm keeping my vote on Sinlessmoon, because to change it to Nerjin, who is my top Scum pick, would tie the vote.  And I'm not sure enough to do that, and I'm pretty sure with our game's end time and no other players being online with just 5 hours to game end and it's the middle of the night that noone else can possibly break that tie.

But if I'm not alive to press Nerjin and get answers from him Tomorrow - and vote him if he won't give them - I hope someone else will.

Keep playing, Cat.  Cat should play more Mafia.  I'm sorry I'm not sure enough to tie the vote and save you.  But if you are Scum, I am so virtually shaking your hand when I see your role flip.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38