Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 118558 times)

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 2 has begun | Act II: Unraveling
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »

4mask

Bye.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:03 pm »

I'm just going to give a stark reflection on what caused me to claim.  If and when I am lynched or nk'd, should I flip town, you will know this to be true.  Also, Nerjin, as IC could you give me some advice on what to do next time:

Certainly. That's what I'm here for, even if I've not done it well.

I enter the game a sub, only to find that my predecessor was a lurker who the previously lynched mafia member had failed to out as such, drawing undue suspicion upon himself.  I find myself in possession of a power town role, but with two lynch votes out of four people voting and two lurkers, who later poked their noses back into the game.

My initial plan was to do my best to scumhunt until my power found the scum, then claim and go for the lynch.  However, shortly thereafter I find myself, or at least perceive myself to be, under extremely close scrutiny by the other replacement, without a solid knowledge of how to assuage concerns and counter-question.  This, combined with a tendency to jump to conclusions, results in at least one other person noting that I am at the same level of suspicion.

Now, I find myself growing slightly irritated.  The fact that I was irritated was entirely my own fault, but it appeared to me that I was destined to be lynched.  As such, I decide to reveal my role and clear the name of the one person who I know to be innocent.

Advice for next time?

Hm, well trying to appeal to emotions won't get you anywhere. All that does is say that you can't defend yourself logically. I'll say that you should avoid that in the future [don't get down on yourself over it though. I did a LOT worse in my first game.] Sometimes you just need to get lynched as town. You'll mess up and get yourself killed BUT if you are town [I am going to give advice as though you are even if I don't believe it since you're asking for my view of how to deal with this AS town] you just need to act like town. It's really that simple, get out there and search for what you can. Find inconsistencies. As a cop you've done the BEST thing one can do as a cop [though VERY prematurely] in this situation: You cleared someone's name.

As the Mafiaso is dead that means that Mastah HAS to be town. There is literally now ay for him to be anything else.

In short: I'd reccomend you simply scum-hunt until the end and:

[quote
Oh, and Persus interrupted me.  I vote for a shorten on the day, to get this over with.  We have four votes for me, more than enough for a lynch.
[/quote]

NEVER[/b[ do this. Once again, if you don't care that you're getting lynched why should anyone else. I vote to Shorten as well. If you want to throw this away I won't stop you.

Now, is anyone going to back me on the shorten so that I can leave and stop being railed against?

This is bad sportsmanship. But I can sympathize. It can be VERY frustrating to replace in only to get lynched.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:59 pm »

And that's why you ALWAYS double check your formtting. I voted to Shorten

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »

I'm just going to give a stark reflection on what caused me to claim.  If and when I am lynched or nk'd, should I flip town, you will know this to be true.  Also, Nerjin, as IC could you give me some advice on what to do next time:

Certainly. That's what I'm here for, even if I've not done it well.

I enter the game a sub, only to find that my predecessor was a lurker who the previously lynched mafia member had failed to out as such, drawing undue suspicion upon himself.  I find myself in possession of a power town role, but with two lynch votes out of four people voting and two lurkers, who later poked their noses back into the game.

My initial plan was to do my best to scumhunt until my power found the scum, then claim and go for the lynch.  However, shortly thereafter I find myself, or at least perceive myself to be, under extremely close scrutiny by the other replacement, without a solid knowledge of how to assuage concerns and counter-question.  This, combined with a tendency to jump to conclusions, results in at least one other person noting that I am at the same level of suspicion.

Now, I find myself growing slightly irritated.  The fact that I was irritated was entirely my own fault, but it appeared to me that I was destined to be lynched.  As such, I decide to reveal my role and clear the name of the one person who I know to be innocent.

Advice for next time?

Hm, well trying to appeal to emotions won't get you anywhere. All that does is say that you can't defend yourself logically. I'll say that you should avoid that in the future [don't get down on yourself over it though. I did a LOT worse in my first game.] Sometimes you just need to get lynched as town. You'll mess up and get yourself killed BUT if you are town [I am going to give advice as though you are even if I don't believe it since you're asking for my view of how to deal with this AS town] you just need to act like town. It's really that simple, get out there and search for what you can. Find inconsistencies. As a cop you've done the BEST thing one can do as a cop [though VERY prematurely] in this situation: You cleared someone's name.

As the Mafiaso is dead that means that Mastah HAS to be town. There is literally now ay for him to be anything else.

In short: I'd reccomend you simply scum-hunt until the end and:

[quote
Oh, and Persus interrupted me.  I vote for a shorten on the day, to get this over with.  We have four votes for me, more than enough for a lynch.

NEVER[/b[ do this. Once again, if you don't care that you're getting lynched why should anyone else. I vote to Shorten as well. If you want to throw this away I won't stop you.

Now, is anyone going to back me on the shorten so that I can leave and stop being railed against?

This is bad sportsmanship. But I can sympathize. It can be VERY frustrating to replace in only to get lynched.
[/quote]

Duly noted.  This whole thing is starting to piss me off.

And they should care so that the game can move on and they can be through with me.

And I don't see how MastahCheese has to be town if one mafioso is dead...  Perhaps there was something I hadn't read.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:25 pm »

Shorten
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:37 pm »

The... Oh, never mind that role appears to have been removed. Blugh... I was thinking that Mafioso meant that he was capable of fooling cop investigations. But since that role is out my point still stands that if you come out Cop we have at least one confirmed town.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:37 pm »

The... Oh, never mind that role appears to have been removed. Blugh... I was thinking that Mafioso meant that he was capable of fooling cop investigations. But since that role is out my point still stands that if you come out Cop we have at least one confirmed town.

Which is precisely why I cop claimed.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »

Okay, this is going to be my last post on the thread unless I feel like something REALLY deserves a response.

First of all, I want to apologize to you all for my rather childish outburst of frustration in the past couple hours of posting.  Yes, I was irritated, but it didn't give me the right to blame you all.  My inexperience was the cause of my irritation, not you all's actions, which were reasonable considering the context.  Even if you had been just no-reason bandwagoning me, that does not give me the right to lash back at you all.  Frankly, I should probably be policy-lynched under the undesireable persons category this game.

Actually, that's all I have to say.  Find the scum, townies!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:14 pm »

I've played games with Dariush. He was quite a bit... more downbeat than you. That being said I hope to see you more on the forum.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:05 pm »

[My net somehow dies when I'm free. It's ironic how I can post when I'm stressed for time. I believe there are shenanigans going on there. And I hate it.

But woohoo, 7 or so posts perhaps? 8 posts to fill in maybe. I..just hope anyone enjoys it.]

• Superblackcat -
  • mastahcheese -
  • Sinlessmoon -
  • Imp -
  • Persus13 -
  • 4maskwolf - MyOwnWorstEnemy, Superblackcat, Nerjin, 4maskwolf, Persus13
  • MyOwnWorstEnemy -
  • Nerjin -
  • Not Voting:   Sinlessmoon, Imp, mastahcheese

Day 2 has begun and will end at January 17, 2013 [Friday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 3

3 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day
There are two possible extensions remaining today.

Praise be, for zombie urist's LurkerTracker!

shorten
Shorten
Shorten
Am i missing something?
My net doesn't let me check easily. If at all.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »

Stepping in to make a comment as an IC, and this really applies to all, even though I'm going to specifically address 4maskwolf here. I had the chance to read back to see what's transpired, and I've been following the thread.

Replacing in is not something I'm accustomed to in a game. Very infrequently does it ever come up where I otherwise play forum mafia, as it's more the case that when a player stops being part of the mafia game, it's because they've grown frustrated or bored with the game itself, not swallowed up by real life as seems more common here.

That said, the few times that we have had alternates replace in, it never went well. We eventually evolved a random lynch rule, where tie votes would result in a policy lynch of an inactive player by the mod.

Why do I say all this?

Because taking over someone's role is frustrating. You're hampered by their previous actions, and their inactivity, with no way of knowing what they were thinking when they did what they did. This makes it harder to defend against suspicions than it already is.

And forum mafia is generally very intense, much more so than the party game is. Sometimes, it even gets personal, almost, or it can seem that way. But we're all just players here, having a bit of fun. Now, some players never deal well with the suspicion and attacks and that's all fine, not everything in the world is for everyone.

But I do hope that this hasn't soured you on the format. I think you'd be better starting a BM from the beginning, because it's a very different experience.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2014, 09:16:28 pm »

EXTEND.

God dang it, wolf, get that vote off of yourself. You're being just plain stupid right now. And I'm not saying this to be mean, but the way you're getting yourself killed is only going to waste one of our days, and give the remaining scum an actual Night Kill.
Get ahold of yourself.

Imp, you seemed really freaking eager to jump on that. I'm glad. Everyone else is saying it's "fishy" and questioning it.
But not you.
You were sure the moment he said it that he must have been scum.
His move reeks of being the perfect target. And I see your attack on it as being the scummiest by far. Anyone would lynch a claim like that. Absolutely anyone. You wouldn't even need to make a case on it because everyone already knows. And the fact that you've labeled him as the most likely scum, without even pointing your own lynching finger to him, proves to me that you honestly felt so secure in this that you didn't even have to pull the trigger yourself.

Oh, this is offtopic, but thanks for, when I said it was hard to read what you post because you're too long-winded, you respond by making it longer. Thank you for listening.

Mastahcheese:  What is your verdict?  Back to lynching me, or decided that I'm telling the truth?
I'm really glad you claimed, I am. I was really looking forward to see who would press the hardest to kill you. And now I know. Thank you.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »

Alright, MastahCheese's defense has prompted me to respond again:

I will unvote myself, if only so that I don't go down as that stupid newb who voted his own lynch as a non-jester.

Imp, Mastahcheese is saying the thought I have been trying to formulate for a while now.  The moment I posted the first claim, you immediately started scumhunting me, without outright lynch voting.  The fact that I have made a total ass of myself notwithstanding, you were the only one to outright go on the offensive after that.

However, I am not willing to go as far as Mastahcheese.  If you were sure I was scum, I didn't notice it.  however, you spent a good deal of time parsing words in my posts, and flipped you opinion on my post of "my apologies for not posting a greeting".  One post you said that I had done a greeting, why did I say that, and the next post you put the same quote up again and say that it was more accurate than a post that clarified what I meant, in line with your previous post's question.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 16, 2014, 09:37:45 pm »

[And then more stuff about how I actually worry about how people view my writing! Is it satisfactory? Legible? Alright? Rawr!]

• Superblackcat -
  • mastahcheese -
  • Sinlessmoon -
  • Imp - mastahcheese
  • Persus13 -
  • 4maskwolf - MyOwnWorstEnemy, Superblackcat, Nerjin, Persus13
  • MyOwnWorstEnemy -
  • Nerjin -
  • Not Voting:  4maskwolf, Sinlessmoon, Imp,

Day 2 has begun and will end at January 17, 2013 [Friday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 1
Shorten requests: 3

3 votes needed to extend the day - 5 extends required at the current notice
5 votes needed to shorten the day - 3 more shortens to end the day needed at current notice
There are two possible extensions remaining today.

Praise be, for zombie urist's LurkerTracker!

I probably won't be here until Day end, and even then...with this bloody net connection.. >_<
Hopefully, I'll be here. In the meantime, enjoy this short post so you could catch up!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38