Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of my proposed mechanic (see OP)?

Sounds awesome, go do
Needs more explanation before I can say much
Right idea, I'd tweak it though (and I'll either post or PM you to tell you how)
I'm ambivalent
I think that would be detrimental to the game

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Roll to Knighthood - Wait list forming  (Read 12523 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Knighthood - Wait list forming
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 10:00:45 am »

"So, boss? Whatcha gonna do?" Renee asked, catching herself slipping in a far too informal tone too late. Even if Sir Chackham wasn't exactly the most... courtly knight around, a squire shouldn't adress their knight like they'd adress their drinking buddy - the first lesson she'd learned and promptly forgotten again. Then again, the man should've known beforehand he'd selected a troublemaker. It had caused a bit of a stir, if she remembered that one right...
"Er, Sir Chackham. Isn't my position to tell you what to do, but if I were you... right now, I'd go after the werewolf. Maybe. I mean, it's a values thing, right? Glory from winning a tournament, or thankful villagers you rescued from a great menace. Well, you could die on the werewolf, too, but in my honest opinion you're better suited to handle that job, than winning a tournament? How long has it been since you last held a lance? Aah... sorry, sorry!"

Ask around whether any notable knights will be attending the tournament.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 10:02:36 am »

((I assumed I could give orders for one thing to be done and then send my character off to do another thing. How long are these turns going to be, anyway? A conversation wouldn't take as long as cutting down a fairly large swath of forest and building a palisade would.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:27 am »

((Hm. Now for the most pivotal decision of all: what should Valthas act like? Old glory-seeking codgerly bastard or younger, ruthlessier mercenary type knight? I'll leave it to you to decide, Bay12.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:55 am »

((I assumed I could give orders for one thing to be done and then send my character off to do another thing. How long are these turns going to be, anyway? A conversation wouldn't take as long as cutting down a fairly large swath of forest and building a palisade would.))
((Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if you were replacing the previous stuff or keeping it, was the issue. I honestly hadn't decided turn length, but for you landed knights I know there will be multi-turn projects. Your woodcutters will get to work and after a certain number of turns they'll be done. I think for every turn of action, I'll roll to see how well the project is progressing and whether or not they run in to any issues.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 10:29:13 am »

((I cross actions out if I no longer want to do the action, for future reference. Sorry for the confusion.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:29 am »

Oh look, two and a half new pages. How did I miss that?

Mordred look around the place. A nice little quiet place, perfect. He didn't like cities, mostly because of his name. Why did his parents name him after the traitor, doubly so with mother named Morgana.
His shook his head and turned to his adviser slash squire. "So-" his voice sounded like a dark lord, another reason he avoided cities "-what tidings do you hear, miss?" the question mark was more because of unfamiliar with the lass, unsure of what title she prefer. His fell pony, Tenebra gave him a nuzzle.
"Um. I have heard rumors that the beast and the disease are connected somehow, although no one has any idea where either came from. I have heard rumors...one man, an alchemist by trade, says he knows of an herb that could help those afflicted with the disease, another suggests that the beast could be trapped with a gift of meat, and a hunter thinks the beast is a werebeast or the like. Sir. Um, I'mnotsurehowreliabletheinformationis...I only heard each from one or two people, sir." Angelica is trying not to look directly at Mordred.

((Hm, that is kinda hard on the eyes...For reference, this is what I originally had Angelica's speech look like. Hm...))
((Let's try this.))
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:13:46 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »

Mordred rubbed his chin "Well, it may be best to deal with the disease first." He walk to the door "Let we pay the alchemist a visit." He then notices Angelica looking away and see nothing odd about the wall she staring at. Mordred just shrugs at this, assuming it a quirk of his squire.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:01 pm »

((I have decided! Valthas shall be a venerable and partially insane old coot.))
"So, boss? Whatcha gonna do?" Renee asked, catching herself slipping in a far too informal tone too late. Even if Sir Chackham wasn't exactly the most... courtly knight around, a squire shouldn't adress their knight like they'd adress their drinking buddy - the first lesson she'd learned and promptly forgotten again. Then again, the man should've known beforehand he'd selected a troublemaker. It had caused a bit of a stir, if she remembered that one right...
"Er, Sir Chackham. Isn't my position to tell you what to do, but if I were you... right now, I'd go after the werewolf. Maybe. I mean, it's a values thing, right? Glory from winning a tournament, or thankful villagers you rescued from a great menace. Well, you could die on the werewolf, too, but in my honest opinion you're better suited to handle that job, than winning a tournament? How long has it been since you last held a lance? Aah... sorry, sorry!"

Ask around whether any notable knights will be attending the tournament.
Valthas thinks on this most carefully, furrowing his fingers in his beard.
"Yes, I do believe you're right, good squire. My glee has alwas been found in gutting a leaping beast upon my blade rather than participating in-"
Valthas' face squeezes to its center like he'd ate a lemon here.
"A fair fight. Yes, I do believe that we shall pursue the moonwolf!"

To Westwilde! Attempt to conceal the fact that I've forgotten my squire's name!
((I know she's named Renee, but Valthas is forgetful, which is why he has a squire to remember these things.))
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:03 pm »

Angelica nods and leads Mordred to the alchemist.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:33 am »

The Story of Sir Mordred Jerrine, Lord of Mirkshire

Leading the way, Angelica went down the tower and towards the eastern edge of their territory, approaching a small hut with an eclectic herb garden, among which she was able to pick out a number which were important for treating basic illnesses. As they approached the small residence, a young and energetic man with a face that could do with a shave stepped out.

“My lord, I was hoping you might seek me out. As I told Miss Angelica earlier, there is an herb that grows to the south of here that may be able to help. I’ve identified the disease as affecting the sanguine and phlegmatic humors most directly, and in a quite unique way. I know this herb to be effective at alleviating these sorts of affects. The herb is called bogblade, and it’s a form of grass which only grows in areas within or near swamps and the like. However, it requires substantial exposure to sun to grow, and so only grows in isolated patches. One such patch lies to the south of here, and if you were to go there, there should be an excess of the plant available. It is quite hardy when it gets its light. I would go myself, but I’m needed here to tend to the sick as best I can.”

As if to emphasize his point, at that moment a young woman came to the doorway of his hut, looking pale and feverish. She expressed lightheadedness before coughing up a spatter of blood. The alchemist promptly excused himself to attend to his patient, leaving Sir Mordred and his adviser to figure out how to approach this illness, which was clearly a pressing concern.

Spoiler: Actions and Rolls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

The Story of Sir Lionel Duncan, Lord of Rosewood

Deciding to take quick action in various directions on the food situation, Sir Lionel immediately ordered for the clearing of land. He quickly described his plan for the region to the peasant which happened to be closest at the time. However, his description was met with a blank face. Not having time to deal with the man’s lack of understanding, Sir Lionel walked off to pay the hunter a visit. The man was a bit curt with him, but was clearly under stress from having to feed such a large group by himself.

“Aye, I could use some help. Not hunting, mind you. Clumsy blokes will scare off what game is left. But feathering birds, skinning dear, I could use that help. Find me a butcher. Won’t let me feed a whole damn region by me-self, but it’ll help. As to your food stocks, I haven’t got a damn idea where you heard we could last a while. I mean, tomorrow won’t be the day that we starve. But we’ll feel the hunger soon,” at this point he narrowed his eyes at Sir Lionel, “I hope, Sir, that you will feel that hunger with us.”

Meanwhile, Matis found a group of villagers discussing how palisades were to be built from their homes. Quickly assuring them that no such thing would happen, he tried to reorganize the group towards their main task of clearing trees for future development. Before long, they got to work, with two people coming forward with axes, and another three offering to help how they could. However, between the limited number of axes and limited experience in clearing an area such as they were asked to clear now, the task would take a not insignificant amount of time. To make matters worse, it seemed the earlier confusion left them still unclear of which among them would be in charge, leaving them less productive than otherwise. Matis left this confusion to report on his findings to his lord.

The Story of Sir Valthas Chackman, Wandering Knight

Renee felt it her duty to help Sir Valthas decide what task to undertake. Her attempts to discover information about the tournament were entirely unsuccessful. Everyone she asked either didn’t know about it, or thought themselves so far better than her that it was not worth their time discussing the subject. The final such incident of the latter group grated on Renee’s nerves so much, she’d actually told him to fuck off. Probably not the smartest thing to do to someone who could very well have been another knight, but with no knowledge of who she was serving, no true damage had been done. After this outburst, though, she decided to return to Sir Valthas, to find him convinced to seek the werewolf, which was probably for the best. She heard him address her, saying something about fair fights in a disgusted tone. She simply nodded at his comment and looked at her feet, unsure what was expected of her in way of reply, and not wanting to be crude too often in one day. As a result, she missed entirely his look of confusion as he tried to riddle out what to call her.

Sir Valthas, upon determining that combat against a werewolf would be preferable to him, set off upon the appropriate road with his squire. It was not long on their journey along this road before they saw the town materialize before them, a ways down the road. The town looked peaceful enough, but the knowledge that someone who appeared otherwise normal was transforming into a fearsome beast at night made it seem foreboding, even to Valthas, who did not regard himself as easily shaken. Taking a moment to consider what his first actions would be upon entering the town, Valthas paused.

My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:41 am »

Valthas paused. Something was scratching at the back of his mind; what was it that his own lord had taught him while he was but a mere squire himself?
Polish that buckle more!
Nope.
My horse shat, get the cloth.
NO. Valthas shuddered at the memory.
Conserve your coin

Make sure you-

Always-

-good first-

Wait, what was that one? He ceased scrolling through his memories and focused on that one.

His lord stood high above him on his horse, facing the town.
"Now then, Valthas," he said as he gazed ahead, "always make a good first impression on the lowlife. That means shiny. The more shiny you are, the more shiny money they will give you. Remember that, Valthas. Shiny is always the best option."
"Yes, lord."

Of course, that didn't help much when the idiot got eaten while trying to filch gold from a dragon's lair, but still, the lesson held. Now then, what was his squire called?
(remembering roll d6: 5)
Renee Mercator, of course! How could he have forgotten whatsherface's name.
Er, Renee? Mind polishing the old glaive?
At her look, he retorted, The one I stab beasties with. On my back right now. Always good to not be misinterpreted.

Have squire polish glaive in order to make it impressive! Then head into the town, trying to look calm and collected.
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 01:37:49 am »

well, it seems my knowledge was put to good use, lets see if I can help with the other tasks that where set
go and ask the three pele if they have any seeds or experience in farming, if so, immediately set them on the task in case of food, also see if we have any bows or bowyers
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:41:15 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:44 am »

Mordred nods "I'll go get this plant, Doctor." Leave in the direction indicated.

Once out of earshot, Mordred turn to his aid "So, heard of this 'bogblade' plant?"
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:35 am »

"Where's that damn fool of a squire who told me we had enough food... Bah. Well, he's not the only one who can speak to the peasantry."

Seek out a butcher among my people. Send a few loiterers to go help in the land-clearing operation, and if I have time go there and organize it myself. Concentrate the activity in one area for now, so as to disrupt the hunter as little as possible.
Implement rationing of food for all but the sickest, youngest, and oldest. Neither I nor my advisor is to take any more food than anyone else. Those who participate in my construction activities get an increased ration.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2013, 05:45:08 am »

(Hey! I'm sorry, the information I have is rolled on to determine its authenticity, that's why I stressed it that it might not be true)
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8