Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115870 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #465 on: October 31, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »

High Jump: A swimming high jump works much like the high jump described in the Jump skill description, except that there is a –10 penalty for executing this jump in water. The height you reach measures the distance you get between the water and your feet (or tail, as the case may be). If you achieve a negative result, you don’t actually get completely out of the water. For example, if your result is a –4, your jump distance is –1 foot—which means that all your body except for the last foot of your body length gets out of the water, at least for a moment.

You can probably safely guarantee up to a 4' jump from the water, give or take a couple points here and there.  The book doesn't give an average freeboard for a caravel, but it would probably be tricky without the Flying Fish Leap feat (ignore penalty to Jump).  I mean, this looks like a little more than 4', given that there are two full decks above the waterline. 

EDIT: Hah, it does, and I just missed it because it wasn't called a freeboard.  Caravel's height is 10', with another 10' draft.  Jump DC for clearing 10' would be 40, assuming you get a 20' running (swimming) start.  It'd be 80 otherwise.  So, it'd be possible, just barely, with +23 if you have the feat.  ^_^
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:39:32 pm by Culise »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 31, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »

On the other hand, he could probably combine boarding, getting back on, and dealing with the ship in one hull-splintering package.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 31, 2013, 01:39:53 pm »

The part of a caravel above water is around 10ft

EDIT: Harb, he's need to get through about 50HP of wood plating.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 31, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »

With Jump, I can guarantee a 14' jump.
Oh my... That's onto the deck.
If I take a ten, I get 23'.
That should be in the rigging.
On a crit, that's 33', which towards the top of a short caravel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravel

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 31, 2013, 01:51:27 pm »

Jump completely over and poop at the apex. Hopefully the force of the expelled poop backward will cancel the forward momentum that the poop already has, causing it to fall straight down on the guy in the crow's nest.

Have you thought about falling damage?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 31, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »

Feather fall. Means that I can fire my crossbow multiple times while falling from a great enough height, while possibly receiving an AC bonus for flying. Remuthra, does falling count as flying?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:20 pm »

My HP rolls, three Rogue levels and three Warblade.

Here is my character sheet, still very much a work in progress.

Remuthra, how much would would a pet crow cost? Somebody of us need to sport a bird.
Also, as a Tiefling, is it okay if I get a bit excessive with her appearance, as long as I do not expect any mechanical bonuses from it? Like, for example, having clawlike fingers (but not enough to damage anyone). Though I was contemplating just having elongated nails instead (that start up by the middle knuckle). Arguably that would be more disturbing.

...It may have become apparent by now that I'm planning a bit of a bird theme for this here pirate.
Love, scriver~

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 31, 2013, 02:49:19 pm »

Aaagh, why so many pages of questions?

Hold on a while.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:30 pm »

@Gwg: I have to admit, that's an awesome character concept...
Mind if I ask what's so awesome about it?
Hrmm, what, huh.
Oh! :V
It's just the concept of an aquatic shaman-which is pretty sweet in concept-your character is, for all intents and purposes, witnessing the world through an alien viewpoint. It's also the sort of unique character I like-coincidentally, it's actually a theoretical mash up of two of my favorite RP characters-one of which was spirit shaman and the other was a merwoman. :P
I mean, it just really fires the imagination, doesn't it? You made a character I would love to play. And for that, I love you. As a friend.
Tldr is awesome!
Thanks.

And it's not the water you have to worry about so much as it is getting back onto the ships :P
How heavy is he?

Also, d20 srd says shuriken act exactly as ammunition, which is destroyed on hit and on 50% of misses. The section on magic ammo reiterates that magical ammo acts the same way.
Check the OP. Magic items cannot be destroyed by conventional means. This includes being fired/thrown.

I doubt you could jump while floating in water though, just saying :P
You can.
There's even a feat that makes it a lot better.

Note to self: Chum the water. :p
Note to self: Wild Empathy checks!

That doesn't sound right. My guy has Flying Fish Leap and a swim speed, and taking 10 doesn't get him more than 6 feet out of the water, which means that he would be capable of grabbing the edge of the caravel (that's 6 feet from the lowest point, ie the feet). How do you get 23 feet on a 10? That would require a result of 92, or a bonus of +82. Did you read the long jump rules, and you only have +13?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2013, 03:17:16 pm »

You don't have to worry about the sharks if you're on team evil GWG. :P

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2013, 03:20:31 pm »

Could a cleric of sufficient power and knowing the "Ressurection" spell [I believe that's the name, who'd been turned into an intelligent undead ressurect himself? This seemed like the best spot to ask.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 31, 2013, 03:23:06 pm »

Probably not. You'd need wish or miracle for that I believe.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 31, 2013, 03:27:23 pm »

That doesn't sound right. My guy has Flying Fish Leap and a swim speed, and taking 10 doesn't get him more than 6 feet out of the water, which means that he would be capable of grabbing the edge of the caravel (that's 6 feet from the lowest point, ie the feet). How do you get 23 feet on a 10? That would require a result of 92, or a bonus of +82. Did you read the long jump rules, and you only have +13?
it doesn't sound right because it turns out that it isn't right. I thought that a roll of 1 = 1', 10 = 10', etc. But no, its not like that.

Turns out that Jump is pretty much useless. I'm going to go change spells.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 31, 2013, 03:42:38 pm »

My HP rolls, three Rogue levels and three Warblade.

Here is my character sheet, still very much a work in progress.

Remuthra, how much would would a pet crow cost? Somebody of us need to sport a bird.
Also, as a Tiefling, is it okay if I get a bit excessive with her appearance, as long as I do not expect any mechanical bonuses from it? Like, for example, having clawlike fingers (but not enough to damage anyone). Though I was contemplating just having elongated nails instead (that start up by the middle knuckle). Arguably that would be more disturbing.

...It may have become apparent by now that I'm planning a bit of a bird theme for this here pirate.
Not much, maybe 20 gp for a good one. It'd need to be tamed and trained, and imported, but it's not exactly a horse.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 31, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »

Oh yeah, and as long as I can justify it as making sense for one of my bonus feats, it can be anything that would fit, right Remuthra? Some stuff isn't in there just because it's no in the specific supplement, after all.
Yes.

So, the big things I'd like to changes are this;

Lose Flawless Stride; Gain Aerial Ace (Ex) instead; Improves Flight Maneuverability by 1 step, can move through any sort of airborne hazard(such as netting, vines, or strong wind) that slows movement at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. This ability does not let her move more quickly through terrain that slows movement or requires a Climb or Swim check to navigate if she is not airborne, nor can she move more quickly through terrain or hazards that has been magically manipulated to impede motion. She loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

I also don't like Trackless Step, but I don't know what kind of ability I'd replace it with. One that increases skirmish range(Skyborne Hunter? Death From Above?)? One that has to do with gliding(Ride the Winds?)? A bonus feat? Something relating to stealth whilst flying?

Also, Leo, that's good mechanically, but don't forget that it talks about Ineffective Weapons and Vulnerability to Certain Attacks. Also that breaking it doesn't mean blowing it into bits, there's logistical issues with a battle axe versus a wood chopping axe, etc. etc.

For example, a battle axe is gonna get dull a hell of a lot faster than a wood chopping axe when chopping wood. Just as a wood chopping axe is going to be far less wieldy than a battle axe in combat. They're made differently, even if going by pure mechanics it works the same. But it's not pure mechanics, of course.

So yes, it requires DM judgement. Or player judgement when the players aren't being rules lawyers. >.>
Fakeedit: Nerjin, there is such a thing as pragmatic evil. And insane =/= evil. Just similar.
You can replace Flawless Step.

Oh yeah, and as long as I can justify it as making sense for one of my bonus feats, it can be anything that would fit, right Remuthra? Some stuff isn't in there just because it's no in the specific supplement, after all.
Within reason.

Fair point. Guess it's more a lawful-chaos thing then. And Harbinger, that depends on if we think their info is valuable. Though Remuthra, what's the average travel time between the isles here? I may have to adjust some costs because of it.
Between some of the nearer islands, not even a day. Still less than a week between the most distant.

Urgh. Remuthra, would it be possible to substitute 16 dexterity for the "Weapon Finesse feat" pre-req for Dread Pirate? Weapon Finesse is exceptionally pointless with a +8 racial mod to strength, even when dumping str and buying quite a high dex. Hell, even 18 dex would work.
Also, would the Aquatic Human variant carry a +1 LA or +0? It's left to the DM to decide in the book, so.

So, for the Evil Pirate Crew, why not do the traditional pirate plan of "Own a Ship. Find Another Ship. Board Second Ship. Enslave Crew. Own Both Ships. Repeat."
It does have something of a problem with you then needing to be in two places at once to ensure the other ship doesn't decide they don't really like having you running them.
You're not a swashbuckler without weapon finesse :P. Aquatic Human would still be LA +0, since humans are kind of statistically weak. I considered upping them because of the nautical focus, though.

Hmm... Remuthra, any ruling on building a stronghold at all? Also, I'd prefer that we sell any captured ships initially. Crew and supplies will cost a LOT, and only getting worse with the more crew we have to support. Mind you, our initial ship is VERY good considering the options we have for it. If we can, we should try and get it as a masterwork and plate it in mithral, so not only does it go about 5-15 ft per round faster, it's a lot tougher to cripple. Masterwork is the only thing we need at creation though, since we can plate it afterwards (And that plating would be horrendously expensive).

Also, team Dishonourable lacks any casters (That can be blasty at any rate.), so any boat we want to scuttle has to be done the hard way. Not that I mind if all the casters will be damned wizards >.>
It's a thing that can be done.

Time to go plan my new intelligent weapon, on the off chance Remuthra is cool with it.
Nao, my intelligent weapons!

2. @ Remuthra: Since Nigma gained his first level over about eight years, can I skip the max skills per level thing?
Nao.

@Tar: Wow, how DID you get five levels of fighter for free? O_o

If you're LA +5 and we're at level 6...

I mean. Can I gestalt Fighter/Barbarian? Yes? Wow! Thank you so much...
Sure you can! I'll just get that Ragewind Swarm encounter ready for you...

Hmmm, in the end, I think I'll stick with Vodya.  A windwitch is always useful, after all, makes more sense aboard a ship, and doesn't have the serious issues with code of conduct association that may appear if our crews ever have to work together on some archipelago-spanning crisis.  Plus, her sheet is closer to completion.
Just dont turn this into Pirates of the Caribeenan: At World's End.
Don't worry, I'm going Stormcaller, not Sea Witch.  Though, I could summon up some hurricanes once I hit Stormcaller 8...

Oh, say, I do have a question.  I know I disregarded my notion earlier, but may I use a merfolk with LA buy-off?  If I have it right, a +1 LA can be bought off with 3000 EXP at ECL 4 (class level 3), which would put me at Level 5 with 12k EXP instead of Level 6 with 15k EXP.  Essentially, I think I can make it work on land as well using Extend Spell and Fins to Feet (caster level 5 x 2 = 10 hr duration), so if possible, I would like to go with my original plan.  ^_^

((Oh, also, is this accurate?  I know Dandiwiki has a bit of a reputation for mixing homebrew and core))
Yep.

Feather fall. Means that I can fire my crossbow multiple times while falling from a great enough height, while possibly receiving an AC bonus for flying. Remuthra, does falling count as flying?
Yes.

111 posts. Wat.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57