Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115836 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:01 pm »

More northernish(but not icy!), Human, and seasonal hunters and fishermen(with semi-permanent campsites and lodges)
You'll want the northwest, then, probably in some seaward coastal region in the less populated northern areas, with a warm current to keep things less icy. It would probably be relatively tree-light up that far, and would likely be similar to the Russoslavic steppe areas of Europe.

The semipermanence would be accounted for by the coastal region, which would encourage fishing. The coastal settlement would probably be inhabited by a subservient people which would pay the nomads for protection, in a sort of symbiotic relationship. Emphases would be hunting, riding, and archery. Flavor could be inspired by the Sarmatian and Scythian peoples.

I'll make lore later for this sort of thing if you wish, but here's the basics. How good are you at riding and archery?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2013, 09:04:06 pm »

Oh yeah, and as long as I can justify it as making sense for one of my bonus feats, it can be anything that would fit, right Remuthra? Some stuff isn't in there just because it's no in the specific supplement, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2013, 09:06:27 pm »

Well, so-so. My char was more fascinated by the boats than horses, so she picked up ropes and knots, and sailed out at the first opportunity(though she did have to prove herself to her clan before they let her go!)

but, yeah, that sounds good

Edit: Also, thanks for giving me an idea on what to spend the rest of my gold on! While my char is built around utterly murdering faces with a sword, there are timesa when that's just not practical. So, a light composite crossbow would come in handy for those times...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:19:20 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2013, 09:19:36 pm »

@Grek: I can't tempt you back to the dark side at all?
Sure. Things are pretty flexible at this point, and it's not that big of a change to go from "All of these murders seem so pointless, maybe I should try doing something meaningful with my life. How about becoming a hero?" to "All of these murders seem so pointless, maybe I should try doing something meaningful with my life. How about kidnapping the Princess?" It all depends on who's ship makes the best case for joining.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 30, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »

And hopefully who needs your skillset more? :p
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2013, 09:29:49 pm »

Would be a plus :{

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 30, 2013, 09:33:40 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry. I must've made a mistake. I thought the EVIL team would want to be EVIL and slaughter the villagers and take their stuff. Pardon me waiter! I appear to have made a mistake. Please put this kitten in the tree so that the EVIL PIRATES can help it down and maybe afterwards they'll make cookies for the homeless and donate 50% of their income to the village I had pointed out for slaughter...

Do you get my point?
Evil is not dumb! Good is! Evil, they'd only slaughter kittens if they profited somehow.
What you described was basically destroying a village for no reason. The profit from doing so is basically meaningless compared to the wealth a bunch of level 6 pirates would have, there is no reason to destroy it (as opposed to simply raiding it and letting it build up more wealth for us to raid later), it would be easier to demand "protection money" and more sustainable long-term, and destroying villages is the kind of thing that gets the heroes to bug you way more than you'd like.
My point is, you don't have to be either a Heroic Crusader or a cackling villain.
You earned these TV Tropes links.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 30, 2013, 09:52:59 pm »

The funny part is, 70% of that was dark yellow instead of bright yellow. Aka; I've seen it all before. XD
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:46 pm »

You don't. You kill him, she, having hidden herself at his behest, leaps from the shadows to attack one of you when you kill him. She will let slip something about "X of utmost importance!" and you kill her because why not?
Selling to slavers, and/or "interrogating" her for more information. And that's assuming you are there murdering the village instead of taking all their stuff and leaving them to wallow in their misery.

Also, I'm stuck on my shitty backup laptop without all my books, so this is going to take a bit longer than hoped (plus, I need to figure out my mythweavers password, joy). Working on it, though.

Also, on the previous topic of positions, there are a lot of them mentioned in Stormwrack, including suggested skills, duties, rankings, etc.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:06:39 pm by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 30, 2013, 10:07:09 pm »

Well, we have less hands on deck compared to the good guys. Both teams have more than a few beatsticks though (Not that more is a bad thing). We also have a dedicated staff on-hand to sort through most of the book-keeping and having everything in check, regardless of the source.

We also offer a legitimate source of income (Though the illegitimate sources are not only more lucrative, but also funner), and cheaper armour and weapons.

@Harbinger: What books did you need> I could supply a few if you need. Also while we may seel people to slavers, we don't touch the merchandise like that, ruins the value you see :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »

We can't kill everybody guys. We need some survivors to run around telling their story. I think we have two characters with classes that flavor-wise call for fearsome reputations.

Also it is 'Honorable' and 'Dishonorable', not good and evil.

And honestly I would rather start in civilization than right in the heart of the action.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:18:45 pm by Weirdsound »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 30, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »

@Harbinger: What books did you need> I could supply a few if you need.
I've been getting them myself, thanks, it's just slower.

Also while we may seel people to slavers, we don't touch the merchandise like that, ruins the value you see :P
Those were separate possibilities. If you do consider someone to be worth interrogating for information, you're unlikely to then sell them on to spread that information around, are you.

Also it is 'Honorable' and 'Dishonorable', not good and evil.
Quite so.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »

Fair point. Guess it's more a lawful-chaos thing then. And Harbinger, that depends on if we think their info is valuable. Though Remuthra, what's the average travel time between the isles here? I may have to adjust some costs because of it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »

Guess it's more a lawful-chaos thing then.
Not even that.  One can have no honour and yet still abide fully by the law, and one can be quite honourable but care not at all for the law.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:42 pm »

So, for the Evil Pirate Crew, why not do the traditional pirate plan of "Own a Ship. Find Another Ship. Board Second Ship. Enslave Crew. Own Both Ships. Repeat."
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57