Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115895 times)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #375 on: October 30, 2013, 10:33:25 pm »

So, for the Evil Pirate Crew, why not do the traditional pirate plan of "Own a Ship. Find Another Ship. Board Second Ship. Enslave Crew. Own Both Ships. Repeat."
Wizard with Chain + Enlarge Sleep?  Take care of most ships in one spell.  Would probably take 5+ rounds to recover from that, unless the other ship had a caster with the "everybody wakes up" spell.  (Reveille?)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »

OR an elf. They happen to be rather resistant to sleep spells, just saying :P

We'd also need more officers, and likely more money before we can do that too at the very least.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 30, 2013, 10:36:55 pm »

Urgh. Remuthra, would it be possible to substitute 16 dexterity for the "Weapon Finesse feat" pre-req for Dread Pirate? Weapon Finesse is exceptionally pointless with a +8 racial mod to strength, even when dumping str and buying quite a high dex. Hell, even 18 dex would work.
Also, would the Aquatic Human variant carry a +1 LA or +0? It's left to the DM to decide in the book, so.

So, for the Evil Pirate Crew, why not do the traditional pirate plan of "Own a Ship. Find Another Ship. Board Second Ship. Enslave Crew. Own Both Ships. Repeat."
It does have something of a problem with you then needing to be in two places at once to ensure the other ship doesn't decide they don't really like having you running them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:05:40 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »

Well, do you specifically need dread pirate to own and captain a ship?

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »

We'd also need more officers, and likely more money before we can do that too at the very least.

I did say most, and do you really want to keep an Elven ship anyway?  Just nuke it from orbit.

(One of the casters should run Energy Substitution on all of their spells.  Fireball into Frostball, Lightning Bolt becomes Acid Bolt, Ice Storm becomes Thunder Storm, et cetera.  Well, you can't run every element unless you take 4 feats, but even just taking Acid Substitution would be rather effective.)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 30, 2013, 10:53:44 pm »

So guys. I've had this build idea in my head for a while now, and I wanted to just say it. Particularly because it gets much improved with these rules.

Monk build. Two weapon fighting. Rapid shot. Flurry of blows. The whole point of the buikd is that you become a shuriken machine gun. The damage is in the shurikens. +1 Teleporting (originally I had been thinking of Wounding since it was for a lvl 20 build for which reducing your foe's constitution would probably be the fastest way to kill them, but for this it'd probably be a collection of +1d6 damage enhancements) Shurikens.

At level six you can launch 8 of them per round, if I'm reading the rules right. Throw in Haste and you get 2 more. Each with +2d6 damage, quite cheap(comparatively; they're handled as ammo so cost 1/50 as much individually; get 10 +4 ones, still cheaper than +2 other weapon) and being magic weapons, don't get destroyed on hitting the targets. Of course, you guys can probably come up with ways to improve this build, find items that add damage to all of it, etc.. Since it relies on already really crappy damage to just serve as carriers for the damage on them, MAD is reduced to merely Dex, Con, and maybe Wis. With Zen Archery, could even just be Wis and Con. If you so chose. Would be very nice if you could find a way to apply unarmed damage while doing this, or other such shenanigans.
Downside is the many hit penalties that start adding up when you do this. Can't do Splitting, either. :(

What do you think?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 30, 2013, 10:57:02 pm »

So guys. I've had this build idea in my head for a while now, and I wanted to just say it. Particularly because it gets much improved with these rules.

Monk build. Two weapon fighting. Rapid shot. Flurry of blows. The whole point of the buikd is that you become a shuriken machine gun. The damage is in the shurikens. +1 Teleporting (originally I had been thinking of Wounding since it was for a lvl 20 build for which reducing your foe's constitution would probably be the fastest way to kill them, but for this it'd probably be a collection of +1d6 damage enhancements) Shurikens.

At level six you can launch 8 of them per round, if I'm reading the rules right. Throw in Haste and you get 2 more. Each with +2d6 damage, quite cheap(comparatively; they're handled as ammo so cost 1/50 as much individually; get 10 +4 ones, still cheaper than +2 other weapon) and being magic weapons, don't get destroyed on hitting the targets. Of course, you guys can probably come up with ways to improve this build, find items that add damage to all of it, etc.. Since it relies on already really crappy damage to just serve as carriers for the damage on them, MAD is reduced to merely Dex, Con, and maybe Wis. With Zen Archery, could even just be Wis and Con. If you so chose. Would be very nice if you could find a way to apply unarmed damage while doing this, or other such shenanigans.
Downside is the many hit penalties that start adding up when you do this. Can't do Splitting, either. :(

What do you think?

Carmendine Monk, Swashbuckler, Master Thrower.  Swashbuckler 3 gives Int to damage, Carmendine Monk gives Int to stuff instead of Wis, Master Thrower 1 allows throwing twice as many Shuriken (and Master Thrower 5 allows targeting Touch AC.)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 30, 2013, 11:09:54 pm »

It would be more along the lines of "Find Another Ship, Board it, Kill or maroon crew, bring both ships back to port at half manpower, hire new crew, own both ships, repeat."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:14 pm »

I did say most, and do you really want to keep an Elven ship anyway?  Just nuke it from orbit.

(One of the casters should run Energy Substitution on all of their spells.  Fireball into Frostball, Lightning Bolt becomes Acid Bolt, Ice Storm becomes Thunder Storm, et cetera.  Well, you can't run every element unless you take 4 feats, but even just taking Acid Substitution would be rather effective.)

Actually, funny you should bring up Energy Substitution.  After noting that one of the arcane casters decided to go Barbarian, and noting the very logical objections of Taricus to a Cloistered Cleric (not to mention getting the rise out of him that I was trying for :P), I switched back to my original plan of a Wizard + Stormcaster with Energy Substitution (Electricity).  It also lets me use all that fun Stormwrack stuff I was looking at, since for some funny reason, most of the fun spell toys go to either Druids or Wizards/Sorcerers. :3

It would be more along the lines of "Find Another Ship, Board it, Kill or maroon crew, bring both ships back to port at half manpower, hire new crew, own both ships, repeat."
Indeed.  Don't forget to budget for prize crews when you set up for piracy. ^_^
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:15:36 pm by Culise »

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 30, 2013, 11:15:56 pm »

Actually, funny you should bring up Energy Substitution.  After noting that one of the arcane casters decided to go Barbarian, and noting the very logical objections of Taricus to a Cloistered Cleric (not to mention getting the rise out of him that I was trying for :P), I switched back to my original plan of a Wizard + Stormcaster with Energy Substitution (Electricity).  It also lets me use all that fun Stormwrack stuff I was looking at, since for some funny reason, most of the fun spell toys go to either Druids or Wizards/Sorcerers. :3
My ultimate Sound Lance build is similar to Tryar's Missile Stormer but using Sound Lance as a base and stacking Energy Admixture onto it.  Needs Incantatrix to pull off (or Dweomerkeeper in a reduced functionality).

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 30, 2013, 11:29:17 pm »

My ultimate Sound Lance build is similar to Tryar's Missile Stormer but using Sound Lance as a base and stacking Energy Admixture onto it.  Needs Incantatrix to pull off (or Dweomerkeeper in a reduced functionality).
Ah.  That sounds very interesting, but I'm not doing Incantatrix for two reasons: I don't have that book, and everything I've heard about it suggests it belongs only higher-tier games. 

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31:18 pm »

Ah.  That sounds very interesting, but I'm not doing Incantatrix for two reasons: I don't have that book, and everything I've heard about it suggests it belongs only higher-tier games.
Oh absolutely.  Any part of it deserves to be its own prestige class (bonus feats, limited ignore metamagic costs, manipulate metamagics, reduced metamagic costs).  I mostly just wanted the bonus feats and the reduced metamagic costs.  Everything else I would have ignored entirely.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 30, 2013, 11:40:11 pm »

Hmm... Remuthra, any ruling on building a stronghold at all? Also, I'd prefer that we sell any captured ships initially. Crew and supplies will cost a LOT, and only getting worse with the more crew we have to support. Mind you, our initial ship is VERY good considering the options we have for it. If we can, we should try and get it as a masterwork and plate it in mithral, so not only does it go about 5-15 ft per round faster, it's a lot tougher to cripple. Masterwork is the only thing we need at creation though, since we can plate it afterwards (And that plating would be horrendously expensive).

Also, team Dishonourable lacks any casters (That can be blasty at any rate.), so any boat we want to scuttle has to be done the hard way. Not that I mind if all the casters will be damned wizards >.>

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2013, 12:06:22 am »

Also, team Dishonourable lacks any casters (That can be blasty at any rate.), so any boat we want to scuttle has to be done the hard way. Not that I mind if all the casters will be damned wizards >.>
Would you prefer Artificers?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2013, 12:10:05 am »

Depends, do they cast at all?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57