Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51284 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »

Ah, that explains all the pregnancies then.
This is a blank sig.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »

Women in the Military: Preconceived Notion edition. This issue is a tinderbox and is full of misinformation, so it's best left alone. Men get raped. Women get raped. At the moment, rape of servicewomen is a major issue in every branch of the military. Coast guard especially has a terrible reputation. But, as stated before, if that's the reason to keep them out we're simply enforcing the projection of 'women are victims' mentality and ignoring underlying misogyny behind it considering men also get assaulted, usually at higher rates and in worse ways than women in the military. Believe it or not it's quite a way to break a male's spirit due to such preconceived notions, especially in such a homophobic area as the military.

I find it an issue that anyone in the military should worry about sexual harassment from their own, though, bottom line. Mandatory dishonorable discharge and court marshalls would go a long way. Court marshals would make a very good example of a pissant captain touching female soldiers, at that level they'd be pissed to even see such conduct [mostly because they don't have to deal with such things at the moment, top level military is basically a soundboard environment] in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:57:26 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2013, 02:01:00 pm »

e: "Blunted accumbal dopamine response to cocaine following chronic social stress in female rats: exploring a link between depression and drug abuse" sure seems relevant to whether women can handle being on a submarine!

I'm going to follow that up with the note that studies on how women handle stress as they transition into adolescence has no relevance to being on a submarine, either.  Because that's "how does the experience of being sexualized affect young women as opposed to young men," (i.e. "how does being entered into the 'you're gonna get raped' portion of your life feel") not "how does stress affect women as opposed to men."  They aren't similar stressors, so of course there wouldn't be similar responses.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »

I'm sorry but I don't have a stash o*f* article*s* ready to present.  That's a whole database there, though.  Search 'gender' and 'stress', 'stressors', etc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:13:39 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »

And now for something completely different. I've had a hard time imagining a significant number of women on the frontlines, because not many women have the physical strength it takes to be a good infantry soldier (the gear is really, really heavy). But it just occurred to me that their smaller frames make women perfect for tank crews.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »

Let's see.

Quote from: Sleep apnea
It’s most common in overweight, middle-aged men. Drinking alcohol and smoking makes it worse.

Why is this being called "female-related."
It's from an NHS study. I picked it because it was unbiased, it wasn't studying female or male health, it was studying national health and simply giving statistics.
Middle-aged men have to go through much tougher tests to prove they can keep up with able bodied younger men, this is not the case for women. Alcohol dependency is instantly grounds for ineligibility. The largest BMI you can have and join is 32, with medical examination to determine this doesn't affect your abilities.

These affect the ability to cope with fatigue and affect women more than they affect men, some of them even mainly affecting women more than men. Hence, female related. You are selectively ignoring information & it's hard to see what your argument is.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20:32 pm »

Men who would ignore their training and orders to do this should not be in the military.

Why? We don't exactly live in ancient Sparta where we berate soldiers for heroism. Just make sure women that fight front line fight in their own units, then the other soldiers won't ever have to feel like they need to protect any one particular unit in their squad.

If trying to be protective of women is causing causing the men to do stupid things and put their whole unit at risk, yes, it is something we should tell them not to do.

Sexual segregation would be, at best, a band-aid fix for this issue.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I did a couple searches and can't find any instances of this happening. Do you have any sources?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault_in_the_United_States_military
Wiki yo

I was mostly talking about the frivolous charges, such as a woman suing a man for walking in on her in the bathroom. Am I missing a section on the Wikipedia page talking about this stuff?

And now for something completely different. I've had a hard time imagining a significant number of women on the frontlines, because not many women have the physical strength it takes to be a good infantry soldier (the gear is really, really heavy). But it just occurred to me that their smaller frames make women perfect for tank crews.

I believe there's an anime about that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2013, 02:22:33 pm »

You said it was a list of female-related fatigue disorders.  There are three disorders on that list that apparently affect women more, and one of the ones you've listed is for post-menopausal women (uh, usually women in their 50s would not be serving on a sub anyway).

I'll also note that the NHS recently did a study showing that the "women tend to have more anemia" thing is a myth--baseline iron rates are based on men, who gather more iron stores during adolescence due to their spike in testosterone.  Women, as a baseline, require less, and 90% (I think--it was a really egregious number) of those with actual physical signs of anemia that they tested had untreated gastrointestinal bleeds.  In men, anemia => colonoscopy, in women anemia => "y'all got menstrual problems," so women have higher incidences because their real problem is assumed not to exist and goes untreated.

I am not selectively ignoring information.  I am asking why you are trying to pass off a list of ailments that generally affect both men and women as a "female problem."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2013, 02:31:04 pm »

Let's ban women from physical labor and all mental exercises if they're so incapable? Seems pretty odd to me that so many [mostly males] find it so easy to dismiss females as a soldier possibility, despite the training and screening they do go through. I know plenty of scrawny, weak-willed sniveling drama cases that happen to be male, I dunno, just seems odd to me.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2013, 02:51:54 pm »

Wow, I am impressed with the amount of misogynistic "few women have the physical strength to be infantry" comments that have sprung up while I was out.

Biotruths, man, so biotruths.

::)

We, as a society, condemn women who try to build up their physical strength because it interferes with conventional beauty standards. We marginalize and never televise the multitudes of women who have builds amply suited to the battlefield. We perpetuate the myth of the physically incapable woman, institutionalize it using the very myths we perpetuate as facts to justify it, and then turn around and blame it on the very women we are marginalizing.

No. I refuse to accept the argument that there are few women capable of infantry duty. It's an outright lie, and it's offensive to me as a feminist.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »

Seriously, you think there's no sexual dimorphism in humans? Are women also shorter on average because beauty standards don't let them grow tall?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2013, 03:04:59 pm »

I am asking why you are trying to pass off a list of ailments that generally affect both men and women as a "female problem."
Forget about my reasonings unless it would be absolutely necessary for the discussion.

First point is made.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Argument.
Point.
"Relate to" means to connect to or show connections. It does not mean:
I am asking why you are trying to pass off a list of ailments that generally affect both men and women as a "female problem."
"To show a singular connection without acknowledgement to all others."
Make no assumptions on who you speak to, the words spoken should be all that are judged.
Also where is this NHS study on Anaemia?
This is the only one I could find.
And as terrifying as redneck surgeons would be, they acknowledge:
And over 10% of women suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding.
Though to answer a better question at why I'm bringing up the fact that we're sexually dimorphic species, it's because we're sexually dimorphic species.

Wow, I am impressed with the amount of misogynistic "few women have the physical strength to be infantry" comments that have sprung up while I was out.
Oh yes, of course, that is why we lower the expectations when it comes to female rates. Something something misogyny privilege and straw.

One point left unanswered [probably the only relevant one when it comes to female rates serving in submarine and other attack craft at sea]:

• What is the practicality of having to retrofit existing vessels with facilities equipped to deal with female hygiene, health and unplanned/planned pregnancies.
Let's ban women from physical labor and all mental exercises if they're so incapable? Seems pretty odd to me that so many [mostly males] find it so easy to dismiss females as a soldier possibility, despite the training and screening they do go through. I know plenty of scrawny, weak-willed sniveling drama cases that happen to be male, I dunno, just seems odd to me.
When mistakes can cost the lives of many due to physical inability yes. Banning? Then you've just gone and gotten rid of women's equal opportunity in the armed forces.
Make it so that equal opportunity means equal testing, all is well.
And while your commendable dismissal of weak-willed sniveling drama cases is wonderful, it truly is, but unless they comprise world armies that's hardly relevant. I suppose psychology and the army's poor treatment of it is something to discuss, but probably for a more related thread.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2013, 03:07:19 pm »

Seriously, you think there's no sexual dimorphism in humans? Are women also shorter on average because beauty standards don't let them grow tall?
Reexamine what you just said, taking into account the way that creatures select their mates.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:06 pm »

We, as a society, condemn women who try to build up their physical strength because it interferes with conventional beauty standards. We marginalize and never televise the multitudes of women who have builds amply suited to the battlefield. We perpetuate the myth of the physically incapable woman, institutionalize it using the very myths we perpetuate as facts to justify it, and then turn around and blame it on the very women we are marginalizing.
I doubt this paragraph.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »

Reexamine what you just said, taking into account the way that creatures select their mates.
Well yeah, that's why we have sexual dimorphism, but that's neither here nor there. The question is whether it exists, not it's origin.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24