Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51267 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #345 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »

Why do/did you?

Probably because she would rather fight the system to make it better than to meekly try to go along with the flow and hope to be unnoticed.

In an openly hostile predatory environment, it can be safer to go unnoticed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:04 pm »

Why would you speak if you know you're just going to get ignored, discredited, and publicly humiliated?
Why would you let it stop you, especially in a center of education [where if you are able to ask questions knowing the answer you really don't need to be there]?

Or, if you get things wrong, contribute to the notion that your entire gender is incompetent?
That's your own insecurities to deal with. Anyone who believes an entire gender is incompetent isn't going to [even need to] look for proof, it's an assumption based off assumptions.
Why would you speak if you know you're just going to get ignored, discredited, and publicly humiliated?
Why would you let it stop you, especially in a center of education [where if you are able to ask questions knowing the answer you really don't need to be there]?

Or, if you get things wrong, contribute to the notion that your entire gender is incompetent?
That's your own insecurities to deal with. Anyone who believes an entire gender is incompetent isn't going to [even need to] look for proof, it's an assumption based off assumptions.

You know, being a subject of pity and ridicule does have an effect on many people! We may be hardened veterans in that regard, but many aren't.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #347 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:42 pm »

You know, being a subject of pity and ridicule does have an effect on many people! We may be hardened veterans in that regard, but many aren't.
Yeah, no intention to sound harsh but there's no other way to say it without sugarcoating it to opaqueness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 21, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »

Why do/did you?

Because I have an enormous head and, even if people will continue to think me less competent than a peer with equal performance, at least they won't assume that I'm stupid.  Until the last year or so, I've been the most aggressive person I've ever met.

Also because it's easier for other people if someone breaks the ice.

Because you're (in the math department, anyway) just going to be considered more lazy, more stupid, and less worthy of help and attention for every wrong answer you give and every obvious question you ask.  Why lower yourself from the default?

Why would you think women could possibly be competent at math if all the statistical data you personally gather, from the women in your math classes to your math teachers to who you are told is great, leans hard in a particular direction?  It's a leap of faith away from your own experience of averages and availability heuristics, and mathematical people usually don't like those much.

Or perhaps all the women were that much smarter than the men and didn't need guidance. It's pretty easy to jump to conclusions.

No, I'm talking about answering questions in lecture, mostly.  There were bonus points given for participation.

Yeah, no intention to sound harsh but there's no other way to say it without sugarcoating it to opaqueness.

I assume that you had a safe haven.  Like, say, the math or physics classroom, full of nerds just like you?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 21, 2013, 04:57:31 pm »

Enough. We have had our idiocy, and we are not going to have passive aggressiveness too. I have clearly stated throughout my contract that is my job, and i wish that to be respected.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 21, 2013, 05:00:06 pm »

Enough. We have had our idiocy, and we are not going to have passive aggressiveness too. I have clearly stated throughout my contract that is my job, and i wish that to be respected.

Wait, am I being passive-aggressive?  I'm sorry, I don't mean to be.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #351 on: May 21, 2013, 05:01:25 pm »

I assume that you had a safe haven.  Like, say, the math or physics classroom, full of nerds just like you?
Oi
Ad houmous without salad! Nah it's ok, I don't mind. To answer; no. To further expand, I do not bring my personal life into debates.

Because you're (in the math department, anyway) just going to be considered more lazy, more stupid, and less worthy of help and attention for every wrong answer you give and every obvious question you ask.  Why lower yourself from the default?
Education system = dead
Different issue entirely.

Why would you think women could possibly be competent at math if all the statistical data you personally gather, from the women in your math classes to your math teachers to who you are told is great, leans hard in a particular direction?
Because you view people as people and not as a homogeneous blob of men and women. If you told me what you have without any mentions of mathematics or professors, I would have no idea that was supposed to be an educational establishment.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »

Because you view people as people and not as a homogeneous blob of men and women. If you told me what you have without any mentions of mathematics or professors, I would have no idea that was supposed to be an educational establishment.

Yes, but not everyone thinks like that.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2013, 05:12:49 pm »

Locking, because the topic was discussed thoroughly and we are now onto something completely different. If you want to continue this topic, make another thread.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]