Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia  (Read 7883 times)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 09:08:23 pm »

Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube. To this day I still can't beat it.
great game. never did finish the first one.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »

So, did anyone else drive backwards in the SNES super mario kart/goof around? My brother and I used to play around for hours on one course, making stories etc. just like a giant play table. I miss those days.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 12:38:51 am »

Starflight on Amiga -- oh man what a great game. I saw it (and Starflight 2) up on GOG recently, but they're the DOS version (older and not quite as amazing as the beautiful Amiga version).

I need to play it again. Time to setup an emulator.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:41:37 am by SeaBee »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 12:44:14 am »

As for educational games my favorite of all time is Super Solvers Outnumbered.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 02:08:31 am »

I started gaming with the SNES/NES. Have really fond memories of games like Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Pang, Zelda Link to the Past, and the list could go on for some length.

Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube. To this day I still can't beat it.
Been playing through this again recently (DF Pikmin mod made me). What specifically gave you trouble?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 02:13:04 am »

Hm, the only educational game that I can remember having "fun" with would probably have been "Math Circus". Firing a clown into a wall with max gunpowder never got old.

Less educational but much more fun was "The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 03:12:30 am »

Hm, the only educational game that I can remember having "fun" with would probably have been "Math Circus". Firing a clown into a wall with max gunpowder never got old.

Not even Oregan Trails?

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 03:17:23 am »

The first game I probably would of played would of been Centipede on the Atari 2600. Was an awesome game to me back then, although I quickly switched to Frogger and Ms. Pacman.
My first console game I owned was Dragon Crystal for the Sega Master System, which stands as the game that defined me as a gamer most and introduced me to the whole Adventure/RPG genre, even as now I realize the game itself was particularly flawed. Games that defined me as I am as a gamer on consoles include: Wonder Boy (all of the Master System versions of it and Wonder Boy in Monster World for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis), Columns, most of the earlier Sonic games, Golden Axe, Golden Axe Warrior, Streets Of Rage and Populous

The first computer games I ever played were Alley Cat and Commander Keen and the first computer game I ever owned was Excelisor. The most defining games for the PC for me were Civilization II and Neverwinter Nights, and to a lesser extent Majesty, Age Of Empires II(first game I ever played online), Diablo II, Castle Of The Winds, Nethack: Falcons Eye and Morrowind

For Handhelds(Game Boys), Pokemon has always been a solid core of my gaming experience and still remains so. Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening was also a game that I truly enjoyed back then.

The oldest game I still play actively is Neverwinter Nights. While I only ever jump on about once a week, I do still spend some time on it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:20:36 am by Therolyn »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 03:31:59 am »

Not even Oregan Trails?

Hn, I'm stretching my mind but I'm pretty sure not. Learning about the Oregon Trail isn't really relevant to a student in Australia.

Ah, another one I remember we used to use was called "Kid Pix" or some-such. Paint program where you could have little guys with things like pogosticks or big boots walk across your image.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:24 am »

Man, the best educational game memories I have is getting robbed by hitchhikers in Cross Country Canada. Many a computer hour wasted in school playing that game.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 09:34:29 am »

How can you talk about classic educational games and not mention Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?  I think I might still have the atlas that came with my game. 

Oldest game I still often play?  I cycle through a large number of the old NES games as the mood takes me, but I'm still regularly trying to beat my significant other at Dr. Mario.  I only won a match against her once when she was sick; I often can't even wrest a single game from her at times. 

If I had a significant amount of money and luck, I'd like to get my hands on this old gem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 09:34:31 am »

Man, the best educational game memories I have is getting robbed by hitchhikers in Cross Country Canada. Many a computer hour wasted in school playing that game.

Honestly I don't know why no one makes an educational game for adults (I am excluding Teaching tools made for adults AND Non-games that people call a game)

I'd love to play a game where I learn about things and concepts.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 10:59:29 am »

We had a C64 when I was little, but not much in the way of games for it. This one was the best out of the ones we had. I still know the background music by heart.

The most memorable PC games from when I was a kid:
Dinosaur Safari. I was crazy obsessed with Dinosaurs when I was a kid, and I lived and breathed this game. A photography game that pre-dated Pokémon snap, and still one of only 3 games I'm aware of in the genre. Edutainment.

FinFin. (Fansite). This thing could barely even be called a game, because your actual ability to interact with anything was almost nil. You could offer food (which would usually be ignored) and talk into the microphone at the titular flying dolphin creature (which as far as I ever could tell only really registered volume). Apart from that, though, it was a beautifully illustrated real-time view into an alien world, with its own flora and fauna and weather. It had actual seasons and things that followed the real calendar, ala Animal Crossing, with plants growing and wilting and different natural phenomena occuring at different times throughout the real-life year. For example, the nuts on the trees in the forest glowing at night in the fall, or the "double lunar eclipse" that would happen one night a year when the two moons lined up.
There was a ton of weird wildlife that would show up, some of it very rarely, so I basically turned the game into a wildlife photography sim using the screenshot function. Staying up late at night watching an empty forest or stream in the hopes of catching a glimpse of a rare nocturnal creature. Seeing a pattern here? :P
Anyway, the game apparently got a lot of very harsh reviews from people who thought watching the sun set in real time over an alien rainforest is boring and stupid. Whatever.

Also, a demo for Exile II: Crystal Souls was one of the first really awesome RPG-type games I ever played and will hold a special place in my heart forever. It just recently occurred to me that I'm a responsible adult with their own purchasing power now, so I was finally able to buy the whole Exile series on CD from Spiderweb.

Edit:
Forgot another big one.
Oddballz. The best (strangest) virtual pet program ever made. From PF Magic of the excellent Petz series before Ubisoft acquired it and turned it to shit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:21:25 am by DeKaFu »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »

Battle for Atlantis, an old freeware DOS game made by Soleau Software, released in 1990. This is why I started playing strategy games.

Chip's Challenge, a 1991 puzzle game. Not the first I ever played but probably the best.

Mice Maze, another Soleau game, this one an action-adventure.

I have fond memories of sitting in front of our beige box with my tiny little hands playing games. Of course I also remember playing Age of Empires on a computer so terrible that it got roughly 3 frames per second. :x

Chip's Challenge, man- between that and Skifree, I spent waaaay too many hours playing as a kid. Especially since at that time I was too young to play Wolfenstein 3D unless I was sitting on my dad's knee. I remember my dad would control the movement, and my younger sister was on the spacebar to open doors and look for secret rooms, and I was on control to shoot things that got in our way. Memories...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 01:48:31 pm »

I think the first games I played were on a ZX Spectrum 64k. The Collosal Big Adventure, and The Hobbit spring to mind. Also, Redhawk.
Back in those days, buying a game meant, getting a book with many pages of assembly code to type into the ZX, record on tape/microdrive, and hope you didnt make a typ0 in the 30 pages of copying code.
In Redhawk, a comiquesque superhero rpg, you were this dude that had a secret life as a superhero. Don't remember much of it, as I was still pretty young, but if you typed "say kwah" you turned into the alnotsomighty Redhawk.

My second computer was a XT 8086. Good old games for the XT period that spring to mind would be Civilization, Simcity, Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, Police Quest, Barbarian, Lemmings, Populous. What I remember mostly from the XT, is long loading times. Most games back then were good enough to be worth that though.

Had a (80)286 after that. I don't think that period had many good games. Except maybe the Commander Keen series. The first commercial version of Windows for pc was introduced on the 286 I think. What was it, Windows 3.0 or something. I think that's where things started to go downhill ;)

Ah, Nostalgia
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7