Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia  (Read 7850 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 01:52:53 pm »

Gorf. I must have spent so much on that.
This is a blank sig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 06:27:55 pm »

So, did anyone else drive backwards in the SNES super mario kart/goof around?
Hell yes. The game does count the laps going backwards.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:18 pm »

Anyone remember SeaMan? I remember seeing commercials for it on the Dreamcast, but then...nothing. I also had a friend who was big into it, but never let me near it because I would "corrupt" it. WTF happened with that?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:15 pm »

SeaMan? Doesn't ring a bell. Dreamcast did have some great games, though. By "corrupt", he probably meant you'd mess with his savefiles. Someone all but wrecked my main LoZ:OoT save and added a dozen deaths to it, despite me telling him *not* to use that goddamn file, there were two open slots to use.

Does anyone remember Gotcha! on the NES? One thought led to another, as it often does with me, and I ended up coming up with an idea: Gotcha!: Modern Warfare.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 08:50:40 pm »

When I was a kid, this was the most badass game ever (to me). 

I played the heck out of that on the ST!  eventually got to where I could play on the Ultimatum difficulty and win consistently, but it was still fun!  I think it was called "Hostage" on that platform.

wow, so many of these great games.  How about Mail Order Monsters on the C64?  Played that for endless hours with my best friend.

Or Rescue Raiders on the Apple II (aka Armor Alley)?  loved that, but never was very good at it.

I remember one of the the early (maybe first?) Romance of the Three Kingdoms games on DOS...

Did anyone play Oids by FTL (the Dungeon Master and Sundog guys) on the Atari ST?  I was a winner in the custom galaxy contest for that thing when I was like.. I dunno, 10 years old or so.  These days a $100 check is probably lunch money, but in the late 80s to a little kid it was a fortune!

...I remember Seaman, that game was by stoners for stoners.  You had to talk to it through the microphone, and whatever you said to it permanently altered its behavior and personality.  I think there was a way to reset it, but it might have been hidden?  I think there was supposed to be some sort of permadeath if you let the thing die.

Poor Dreamcast... it had some of the BEST games.  Power Stone?  Record of the Lodos Wars?  Crazy Taxi?  awesome stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »

Anyone remember SeaMan? I remember seeing commercials for it on the Dreamcast, but then...nothing. I also had a friend who was big into it, but never let me near it because I would "corrupt" it. WTF happened with that?
I don't know, but looking it up on google and seeing screenshots leads me to be incredibly happy that it fell off the radar. That is pretty intensive uncanny valley shit right there.

Not something I'd bother getting a dreamcast emulator working to play.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 09:23:53 pm »

SeaMan? Doesn't ring a bell. Dreamcast did have some great games, though. By "corrupt", he probably meant you'd mess with his savefiles.
Nah. SeaMan was this thing you talked to and taught, supposedly, and he was a hardcore right-winger and I'm a hardcore lefty.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »

Anyone remember SimLife? (1992 for DOS)
I don't.

SO I wanted to download it, but Lord knows that Windows 7 doesn't support it anymore, and I can't figure it out by DOSBox, either.
So if anyone in here could give me a step-by-step installation process of that thing, I'd be psyched.

(also it's the only game at the moment worthy of being remade, there hasn't been a "game" like for...Quite some time now. Spore doesn't count, as doesn't Species.)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 01:31:38 pm »

Uh oh, good old times.

I remember my father assembled Speccy compatible pc and even made hand-made joystick of plexiglas and other weird stuff.
He immediately showed me the result of CIRCLE command from BASIC language and gave me cassete with games, I really remember only some left-right helicopter shooter and Boulder Dash, and Arcanoid.  Speccy was attached to a glorious black and white lamp TVset and there was a time I became pc addict. Most notable games I played to no end - Rebel Star and Laser Squad (very XCOM ish). I even went harder and made my first map editor for this games. It's was kind of ridiculous by nowadays standards to save your code on tape recorder but whatever. Also by this time I dabbled in assembler and tried to hack some games, which went to failure, anyways.

Later on came x286 gaming and it's was Golden Axe and superb Alladin, which was an amazing games for such a slow computer, I still can't belive how authors of these game achived such graphics and fluidity and perfomance on such a slow processor.

Later on, when I was able to buy my own (finally!) PC from university spidendium my all time favorites was Dungeon Master (Interplay version), amazing game, you can pretty much get same experience with Legends of Grimrock now (and I prefer DM, even now). And, of course, MOM and M&M1-5 which I played to death.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »

Record of the Lodos Wars?

THERE WAS A RECORD OF LODOSS WAR GAME FOR DREAMCAST?!

Sorry for shouting.  But man, that is one of my favoritest things.

I'm in the middle of playing Chrono Trigger.  I got semi-far last time, but didn't finish and also managed to forget a lot of stuff.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2013, 05:12:13 pm »

I'm in the middle of playing Chrono Trigger.  I got semi-far last time, but didn't finish and also managed to forget a lot of stuff.
Huh.  I didn't know that either.  I think there was a SNES game, though?  I'm pretty sure I remember playing a fan translation of it.  I also have the DVDs for the TV series and the OAV on my media shelf.  Maybe I should go rewatch them soon. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2013, 05:16:08 pm »

Yeah, I have the OAV!  It was the first anime series I ever watched.  I'm still really attached to it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2013, 05:54:55 pm »

There was(I've played it, beaten it), but since I'm not really familiar with what Record of Lodoss War is, I'm not sure if it's based on what you think it is.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2013, 05:56:39 pm »

Is her name Kardis?

I'm pretty sure that there's only one Record of Lodoss War.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2013, 06:11:14 pm »

dude, that was a harsh spoiler.  the game is full of neat references for fans of the series, and that reveal is one that I didnt figure out until about half way through.   maybe I'm slow, but it was a pretty big deal, dramatically.

Equipment upgrades were cool, too.  The upgrading by having the dwarf forge mithril into your weapons was one of my more favorite features.  Felt very thematic with setting material.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7